• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 3: Rebels vs Waratahs

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Harrison Was disappointing tonight that is your take? A kid in a pivotal role plays a solid game in super Rugby underage and with a piss weak team around himAnd you are happy to write off Harrison.

He was disappointing because I expected more from him. At the beginning of the season, I thought Harrison was the most likely of the young No 10s to succeed and expected him to show a good set of skills from the get go. As I said, he has a strong kicking game, but so far, and especially last night against the Rebels, he has shown little in the way of threatening the defense either by running himself (see Lucas for example) or by putting players into gaps (see Lolesio/Simone as a combination). I am starting to think he might not have the ability to organise and manage an attacking structure at Super level. Of course, he might be being hamstrung a bit by having Beale doing his selfish, ineffective thing outside.

No, I won't write him off just yet, but I really do think something has to be done about raising the standard of the Tahs' backline.

Reactions: dru

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
As has been pointed out here, some baffling behaviour by the Tahs

Not least (for me) the decision not to compete on the Rebels lineout.
After they had completed their third metre-eating rolling maul, we didn't think we should try and disrupt them or do something different?

Cottrell was made to look like Victor Matfield for a while there, while Dempsey was asked to stay on the ground and then was completely ineffectual at sacking the maul.

I was wondering if the Rebels we're possibly even confident enough to take the piss with the lineout calls, "Highway 1, Highway 1!"

Who makes a decision like that and then perseveres with it in the face of glaring counter-evidence? After the game, Simmons looked baffled as to what has caused their loss. 'Well, err, start with looking at your area of expertise Rob - the lineout!'

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Will Harrison was especially disappointing tonight. He has one bow to his apron, being not a bad kicker in general play, but was well and truly bested by MT tonight. Will doesn't seem to have much else to offer the Tahs' attack.

one bow to his apron is an incorrect statement. Perhaps that's all you saw in this match, but if you've seen anything more of his game you'd realise that is complete hyperbole. As for well and truly bested by MT, well that should be what we'd expect shouldn't we? An experienced test player and likely Wallaby 10 gets the better of a 3 game rookie barely teenager?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually didn’t mind the game. It was in tough conditions and it isn’t open, free flowing footy but I thought the contest was willing enough. There were a few disappointing individual performances but there were also a few very good ones I thought.

I’d watch it - but then if I had a choice of watching rugby or not watching rugby I choose to watch pretty much every time.

It’ll be more fun then mowing in 90% humidity.

To be fair, the conditions weren’t that bad...........

It was humid, and it rained a bit........... the skills on display were poor for two professional rugby teams.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
one bow to his apron is an incorrect statement. Perhaps that's all you saw in this match, but if you've seen anything more of his game you'd realise that is complete hyperbole. As for well and truly bested by MT, well that should be what we'd expect shouldn't we? An experienced test player and likely Wallaby 10 gets the better of a 3 game rookie barely teenager?
Agree. After 3 defeats I think we need to concentrate on a rebuilding year and put faith in our youngsters. It's a huge step up from 20s and there have been flaws. Harrison needs to work on his decision making, Nawaqanitawase on his defense and Bell on his scrummaging but they all have strengths that give me hope
All these things can be improved with experience at Super Rugby level and all of them have a bright future and should be supported. Besides, what's the option, Beale at 10?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
To be fair, the conditions weren’t that bad.....

It was humid, and it rained a bit..... the skills on display were poor for two professional rugby teams.
It looked pretty wet at times. I thought the Tahs played dumb in the first half playing expansive and forcing passes when conditions weren't conducive

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Our worst player was the one who posed the biggest threat with his running game?

I must have fast forwarded through those "highlights". But being the biggest attacking threat in a side with no attack is not exactly a great compliment. He looked ponderous and slow to me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I have been a fan of Harrison since last year's U20s. I had high expectations for him this year, thinking he would be the best of the young No 10s because of his U20s and NRC form. I would expect he has more skills than just kicking the ball, but very few have been on show so far this year. As for a "3 game barely teenager" matching it with MT, did you watch Noah Lolesio last week Reg.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course Gregan disagrees it was obstruction, he was right there at ground zero when the Bumbreeze wheeled out their running interference "dummy runner" carry-on.

I thought the call was right. It's becoming a little bit on an issue the dummy runners "accidently" making contact with the defensive line. Normally they don't imped the tacklers but it still really shouldn't be allowed as even if they're not impacting that phase you disrupt the flow.

On the flipside, I have no idea where the back of the ruck is anymore. The offside is really a bit of a joke. I thought Well's was well offside a number of times and the line in general just seems to form up whereever.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree. After 3 defeats I think we need to concentrate on a rebuilding year and put faith in our youngsters. It's a huge step up from 20s and there have been flaws. Harrison needs to work on his decision making, Nawaqanitawase on his defense and Bell on his scrummaging but they all have strengths that give me hope
All these things can be improved with experience at Super Rugby level and all of them have a bright future and should be supported. Besides, what's the option, Beale at 10?

Couldn't agree more about the three players having bright futures and persevering with them. But the option that just might work in WH's favour is if Beale is out of the side altogether. I think his consistent waywardness is having a detrimental effect on the rest of the team.