• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I feel sorry for Penney. He has inherited this team from the most incompetent clipboard holder in Gibson and his mate Hoare. Poor recruitment, no plans for the future when senior players were moving on, not recruiting where the team needed strengthening, the endless pointless belief in the light and mobile pack.

The problem is many of the senior players are not standing up. They are playing rubbish. They are not helping the kids and are not playing anywhere near top level union. They seem to know that due to the lack of decent depth they won't be dropped so don't seem to care.

I do agree about Penney, it is next to impossible to judge on this years results, to a large degree. In saying that its hard to blame this on Gibson, as he was definitely gone last year. This comes down to Tahs management and board not ensuring succession planning AGAIN. Let us not forget that when Potgeiter and Douglas left I suggested that recruitment to fill those positions would be essential. What happened? We got a succession of players under developed (as usual in Australian Rugby) and journeymen playing out of position (also as usual in Australian Rugby). Also lets not forget the last time Kepu went overseas, did the Tahs ensure adequate coverage then? There is a pattern of failure here, and to blame it on Gibson, who did indeed fail - I'm not trying to deny or obfuscate that point, will just ensure that this debacle happens again. The structures of Australian Rugby are like banking CEOs (surprise there?) - they are only interested in their short term 3-4 year contract and making sure if possible to get out before the bad stuff gets attributed to them. Hence Harris et al running last year.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
My thoughts on the Tahs A vs Rebels A game:

Postives:

* The set piece was great. Scrum won penalties, line out was pretty good too.

The forwards:
* Tafa was excellent. Ran hard, made metres, defended well at his new position of lock. Hope he gets a run soon.
* Beanpole did well at the lineout
* Gamble, Tizzano and Harris played well. I wouldn't mind seeing Gamble on the bench as he can cover 6,7,8. Harris was great running both wide and up the guts and Tizzano plays like he is 120kg. Hits hard and defends harder.

The backs:
*Ramm played well. Ran well and broke tackles.
*Tepai ran and defended fairly well but still a work in progress. Ran like a wide running forward and made great metres. Definitely a future 12 once skills and fitness are ready. He even cleared the ruck well.
*Lisala ran hard and had great skills.

Negatives:
* Too many players like in the main game were getting isolated.
* Poor defence of the ruck. Too many pilfers against the Tahs. Even Tepai had to clear by himself.
* I thought Ben Donaldson was pretty average. Not great decision making but I believe he will be better fir the run.

Overall a good game to watch. More fun than the main team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wouldn’t be surprised if Crichton comes back after his Chooks’ contract expires to take a stab at the 2023 WC. Although, he wasn’t nearly as good last year as he was in 2018 and query whether he would be able to break into the Wallaby backrow with some of the talent coming through. Still would probably be an improvement on the Tahs this year though.

If he came back he would most likely play 12 unfortunately.

He's a goal oriented young man and he's also very intelligent. His decision to go to league after school was the most sensible one for him to use his talent, get paid handsomely, and stay in Sydney for his education. Those closest to him don't even know what his plans for the future are, but suffice to say he won't be going anywhere while he is on his current Chooks contract, barring a disciplinary termination of course, that won't happen though, he isn't a stereotypical leaguey. He has almost achieved everything he wants in the 13 man game, the unticked boxes are probably an Origin start and a Kangaroos jersey. His 2023 RWC pact with Maddocks is well publicised, how much of it is truth though is another matter. Knowing what I know, he will weigh up his options next year as his contract nears expiration. 2 years is a long time in sport, I don't think he'll switch back to rugby purely to play for the Tahs, but a Wallabies RWC is definitely another unticked box, and he'll only make the jump if that is foreseeable.

Bobby, I disagree, he's an out and out backrower. He played in the centres for Scots in his last year at school but that wasn't because it was his best position, it was for other reasons and he was still picked in Aus Schools as a loosie. Some have said he isn't big enough for a 6/8 but that probably depends on who the other backrowers are, he's about the same size as Dempsey. These are the things he will weigh up himself.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sight unseen, I have not seen him play, but another couple of years in the NRL will knock him around a bit. The effect on his body might make him think about our game a bit more than otherwise would. But will we need another loosie? Doubt it. On the other hand, will we need another 12? Maybe.

Let's hope that the current crop of youngsters throws up a few more gems. But 10 and 12 stocks look pretty thin.

B

Bobby Sands

I hope you’re right KOB, would love to him in the the backrow. Crichton version 2, Luca Moretti, who played three years XV and is now in league is an even high priority for mine to get back.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I hope you’re right KOB, would love to him in the the backrow. Crichton version 2, Luca Moretti, who played three years XV and is now in league is an even high priority for mine to get back.
Unfortunately, unlike Crichton, Moretti always played league as a junior. Plays very much like Harry Wilson and would be a massive get for the Tahs. Not sure the terms of the deal with the Roosters but definitely on contract with them this year.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Unfortunately, unlike Crichton, Moretti always played league as a junior. Plays very much like Harry Wilson and would be a massive get for the Tahs. Not sure the terms of the deal with the Roosters but definitely on contract with them this year.
Crichton played league for Young Cherry pickers before getting a scholarship to Scots. Even then he was playing for Bondi United and Roosters rep teams while at Scots

B

Bobby Sands

He looks outstanding, Reimer at Brumbies from NSW, looked pretty good too.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Crichton played league for Young Cherry pickers before getting a scholarship to Scots. Even then he was playing for Bondi United and Roosters rep teams while at Scots
I’m not actually sure if he even had a scholarship at Scots. It’s possible given his talent and smarts. But his dad was class of 87 there, also played Aus schools, and his mum was a private school girl so he was always going to get schooled there. They certainly didn’t ‘buy’ him.