• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm hoping the game on Saturday will have a bit more buzz around it. I feel like Saturday games always get better crowds than Friday games, and we haven't beaten the Highlanders since our three win streak from 2012 to 2015.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm hoping the game on Saturday will have a bit more buzz around it. I feel like Saturday games always get better crowds than Friday games, and we haven't beaten the Highlanders since our three win streak from 2012 to 2015.

Friday games are people just getting on the cans whereas Saturday games people are out to go to the rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Friday games are now for the few who actually have the time and could be arsed to get out to Bruce stadium by 7pm...

I know if I was still in Canberra I physically couldn’t manage it after work.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The earlier kick offs have really hurt as well.

People are working until 5:30, then having to consider "do I go home and get changed, or do I go straight there?", and half the people who go home to get changed just stay home. The ones who still head out to the stadium are arriving about 10 minutes before the game when half the reason they're going is to have a beer with their mates before kickoff.

Then there are the free buses, which I'm glad exist because parking is a nightmare and we don't want to limit attendance to those who are able to drive that night, but their schedules are crazy. People in Woden have been talking about the need to get to the interchange by 6:15 in order to get the free bus to the Stadium in time for kick off. People in Tuggeranong have it even worse, saying they need to get there by 5:55.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If your driving and have kids you need to factor the walk time in to the stadium.

If your down Tuggeranong way and not out the door and in the car by 6:15 you will miss kick off. The last couple of Friday nights I have had time to run inside, get changed and jump in car where the wife and kids are already waiting so we can get there comfortably.

The other thing they didn't think about was its great to have a kids zone, but it's so hard to get to the game ealy you can't use it. Last game Mrs Mst took miss 3 take Miss to get her face painted as she had her heart set on it. By the time it was done she had missed the first 10mins of the game.

If they did have bumper crowds, say 20K, we would be screwed. The traffic etc at that time of day would be too much of a battle. Really not thought through me thinks!

Also, we are at a loss as to whose family was consulted and said it was more family friendly! Its shite.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Okay Brumbies Fans if you can't get down to the game for free beer. I dont know what's wrong with you.
Thomson has introduced game-day initiatives for children, set up a new bar area, and even given away free beers this season, but it hasn't worked.

Ive a paid member and my newphew / friends use my seat when I can't get there from Brissy But I still have a full membership even when Im not in the state. never gave me free beer

Yeah, so here I am thinking quick free beer after the game on the way out. Now, what to do with the kids? All the kids activities are closed, all the catering is closed....... hmmm.......keep walking; beers at home.:(

B

Bobby Sands

Pasitoa would not be suited to playing Super Rugby next year, particularly at 10. He will do well to break into the Aus 20's as a flyhalf at this stage in his career.

Maybe in 2-3 years time he will be Super ready. Lets not rush him, give him time to develop all those key skills he needs at flyhalf that aren't quite well rounded enough yet.

Third round out of school, not bad.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Third round out of school, not bad.
I understand the angle of Getwithme, and I’m of the same opinion. These young lads who are 22 and younger should be drip fed into Super Rugby until they learn their trade, and particularly at flyhalf. Evidence in the last 3 rounds is that Noah, Harrison and Lucas are no where near where a Super Rugby flyhalf needs to be. This is affecting the quality of the Australian conference which will inadvertently never lead us to the top 4 teams.

Noah cost the Brumbies the win last night.

Pasitoa come on at inside centre (his natural position) last night for 8 minutes which is ridiculous when he didn’t have game rhythm and doesn’t have the experience or the tackling ability to save that last try. Why are coaches trying to debut players in the last 10 minutes when they have a responsibility to win games. Just stupidity.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
what do you mean facts remain? I literally said he's probably not ready and him playing round 3 just means that they have rushed him? What did you see in the last 8 minutes that proved he is ready for professional rugby?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I understand the angle of Getwithme, and I’m of the same opinion. These young lads who are 22 and younger should be drip fed into Super Rugby until they learn their trade, and particularly at flyhalf.
Other professional sports like AFL have an average player age of 2 years younger than what we have in Rugby. The Kiwi have a higher standard provincial competition to develop players so they coming in ready to go at that age. We need them younger as we to develop then.

We are delaying the introduction of players until it's too late. The Reds are showing this with an average player age group of 21 and the fact that we can't find any decent younger 10 seem to also support the Aussie mindset around 10's that's it's almost a requirement they have to be older. Take Mounga as an good example. He was delayed in getting his chance as he was behind Carter and Slade. He was an older debutant introduced to Super Rugby at 22 years old.

Why are coaches trying to debut players in the last 10 minutes when they have a responsibility to win games. Just stupidity.

This is right on the money. It's ingrained in Aussie Rugby and on display last night.

B

Bobby Sands

He’s playing pro rugby :)

Like all those who watched him said he would.

That the facts.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
what do you mean facts remain? I literally said he's probably not ready and him playing round 3 just means that they have rushed him? What did you see in the last 8 minutes that proved he is ready for professional rugby?

Without sounding like a smartass, the fact that he was out there. From schoolboys to Super Rugby in 3 rounds must show the coaching staff can see something in him.

8 mins is not enough to make a judgments etherway.

It's good they are giving him a shot, but I am not sure he is ready. Personally, I like he was given the opportunity as I want the younger ones to get a go. To the way it was done, not so sure it was the right way.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Our experienced players are seeing these young kids being awarded contracts so their initial reaction is to look elsewhere and obviously with the intent to find big dollars overseas before they get pushed out and their value as a player depreciates. Two former Reds players have told me that personally. Houston, we have a problem!! There’s a reason we don’t have a first tier flyhalf in Australia.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If former Reds want to leave, they can leave.

Wage limits are the biggest barrier to large squads, not having kids in the set up. The kids at the Brumbies aren't on massive wages. We can all see their potential and hope that they get there. Rugby dies in this country if we ignore the young talents coming through and never give them a chance.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies reporting that the mumps has affected a small number of the playing group.

Those affected have been isolated and only those who are unaffected will be allowed to travel to New Zealand for the Chiefs game.