• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^^Freakish talent and would have been great in our game, but much preferred being in NQ and struggled being away from family.

Not sure a Reds contract would have changed this.

Re : Hamiso Tabui-Fidow

AFL were going hard after him as well and when he left BGS the story was he was most interested in AFL

Ultimately ( and obviously ) he’s now League aligned . A genuine game winner in his own right that with Ponga are the 2 most electric back prospects I have seen in either code in 10 years. He is a once in a blue moon type prospect and is one of the few young fellas coming through that deserves his shot at the highest ( and earliest) opportunity available.

Talents like him will make tons more money in ARL than what AFL or certainly the ARU could ever offer. Ultimately money talks

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Positives to take from the first three games.

Our backline is finally looking sorted.
• O'Connor is a genuine flyhalf option.

• CFS as always, is a very handy utility back.
• Paisami is looking like the real deal, we could soon be saying 'Jordan Who?'
• Stewart has found his position at 12.
• McDermott is in Wallaby-esqu (okay Wallabies squad) form, and still has room for improvement.
Our forwards were once again dominant (even if the ref didn't see it).
• JP is a scrum pig (and obviously knows more about scrumming than the ref).
• We have probably 3 of the top 5 locks in the country.
• SLS has shown he's capable of playing both lock and flanker (but I agree with many that he's probably a better lock).
• Our back row is very strong and with even more players still in the sheds.
Some of the negatives and interestings.
• How/where are we going to get Lucas into the backline.
• Thorn doesn't look to be giving his back subs enough burn, hasn't gotten them much more than 15 min a game and it's one of our strengths.
• Our young reserve props have been trying hard, working hard but we really need the cavalry to arrive soon (I don't think they are coming anytime soon, maybe Hoopert).
As with every season in the last few years, in a parallel universe the Reds are 3 for 3 and are outright third in the comp. The Jags game aside we've been very Brumbies-esqu in collecting bonus points despite our defeats.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Positives to take from the first three games.

Our backline is finally looking sorted.
• O'Connor is a genuine flyhalf option.

• CFS as always, is a very handy utility back.
• Paisami is looking like the real deal, we could soon be saying 'Jordan Who?'
• Stewart has found his position at 12.
• McDermott is in Wallaby-esqu (okay Wallabies squad) form, and still has room for improvement.
Our forwards were once again dominant (even if the ref didn't see it).
• JP is a scrum pig (and obviously knows more about scrumming than the ref).
• We have probably 3 of the top 5 locks in the country.
• SLS has shown he's capable of playing both lock and flanker (but I agree with many that he's probably a better lock).
• Our back row is very strong and with even more players still in the sheds.
Some of the negatives and interestings.
• How/where are we going to get Lucas into the backline.
• Thorn doesn't look to be giving his back subs enough burn, hasn't gotten them much more than 15 min a game and it's one of our strengths.
• Our young reserve props have been trying hard, working hard but we really need the cavalry to arrive soon (I don't think they are coming anytime soon, maybe Hoopert).
As with every season in the last few years, in a parallel universe the Reds are 3 for 3 and are outright third in the comp. The Jags game aside we've been very Brumbies-esqu in collecting bonus points despite our defeats.

Agree with your forwards analysis and am happy to see that the backs I suggested a couple of weeks ago have come to fruition. I think we should stick with the in form 9,10,12,13 for awhile and let them further develop combinations. I thought CFS did well enough to keep his spot for another week and Speight had a much better game than his first two. Toss up for mine between Hegarty and Campbell with Daugunu to come back into the mix in the back three as well. I may well be alone on this but I am not on the hype train around players like Petaia and Lucas who developed strong hype playing underage but for mine have never shown strong form consistency at the open mens level. Admittedly Petaia has not had much opportunity given his injury history but when he has played he has fallen short of expectations.

B

Bobby Sands

Re : Hamiso Tabui-Fidow

AFL were going hard after him as well and when he left BGS the story was he was most interested in AFL

Ultimately ( and obviously ) he’s now League aligned . A genuine game winner in his own right that with Ponga are the 2 most electric back prospects I have seen in either code in 10 years. He is a once in a blue moon type prospect and is one of the few young fellas coming through that deserves his shot at the highest ( and earliest) opportunity available.

Talents like him will make tons more money in ARL than what AFL or certainly the ARU could ever offer. Ultimately money talks

Agree with all of this except money. AFL last tv rights deal was double NRL, their through the gate numbers are so far ahead of any other code, and because of this the total revenue is much higher than league. AFL has completely annihilated league and every other sport I’m the space of 30 years, when you consider in the 90s the ARL was much bigger than the VFL, early AFL.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Can’t sign everyone.

Anyway obviously our prop depth is struggling at the moment. Anyone know when Hoopert is due back?

Feao out for the season right? Surely we try to sign a cover? What’s the status of the Japan season? Could we get Talakai back? Or Fagaase?

Was it Feao or Fotuaika out for the season? Or both? Surely Hoopert can't be far off. I thought he was close to returning in the Dalby trial. Definitely need some cavalry there! Was BPA injury a long term one?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Was it Feao or Fotuaika out for the season? Or both? Surely Hoopert can't be far off. I thought he was close to returning in the Dalby trial. Definitely need some cavalry there! Was BPA injury a long term one?

Fotuaika out for the season, Feao still fit

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A bit off topic but looks like the Reds may have dodged a bullet - Izzy Perese stood down by the Broncos for drug related offences, no further details as yet. The statement made it sound serious - he will no longer be training with them etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah just saw that. Saw he was named in the 9s team and was interested to see how he went. I didn’t watch any but didn’t see his name in the post event rankings.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Sorry. I meant Feao F. Not Dave F.

B

Bobby Sands

Very interesting where his career goes from here. He’s in incredible knick from the photos I’ve seen. Pretty disappointing, also based on the press release it sounds pretty serious.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fidow was apparently electric in the 9s. Perhaps the 7s should’ve signed him.

He hasn’t played NRL yet.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah just saw that. Saw he was named in the 9s team and was interested to see how he went. I didn’t watch any but didn’t see his name in the post event rankings.

Barely had any game time, he didn’t take the field in the first game and unfortunately was not great in his short time on the field for the second (probably had 2 or 3 touches and bombed a try with one of those). Broncos were pretty useless and were knocked out after their 2 pool games.

That’s really disappointing news about Izzy, I was really hoping he would apply himself and crack the team this year. Hope he can sort his shit out and get back into some kind of footy in the near future.

Edit: He actually didn’t play at all, Broncs found out a day before the 9s and sent him home. His name was called in a game but obviously wasn’t him. The charges have come out and are quite serious.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can’t sign everyone.

Anyway obviously our prop depth is struggling at the moment. Anyone know when Hoopert is due back?

Feao out for the season right? Surely we try to sign a cover? What’s the status of the Japan season? Could we get Talakai back? Or Fagaase?

If it's just cover for the season while the younger props are bought up to speed than maybe Greg Holmes is worth a look. Pretty sure he's at the end of his deal with Exeter and he'd be ideal for 20-30 minutes at the back end of games and to help train the young kids coming through. Not certain what state he's in at the moment though

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
If it's just cover for the season while the younger props are bought up to speed than maybe Greg Holmes is worth a look. Pretty sure he's at the end of his deal with Exeter and he'd be ideal for 20-30 minutes at the back end of games and to help train the young kids coming through. Not certain what state he's in at the moment though

He'd be welcomed with open arms!

B

Bobby Sands

Let’s smash the Sunwolves this weekend and get back on track. I think we will match up pretty well against all Aussie teams including The Brumbies. If we do that we will go close to topping the conference and the good news is we have done our travel leg, that ahead of all the others.

I think we should be aiming to win three from the next four (Sunwolves, Bulls, Sharks) with only the Saders potentially being a bridge too far.

If we can do that we are well set up to take on the Tahs, Rebels & Ponies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not sure where or whether to post this. definitely NOT meant as a commentary on the Reds or their supporters, just for information, thought many on here would be interested

Brisbane young gun Izaia Perese has been stood down by the club after being charged with drug offences.
Perese has been removed from all club duties, and will not play or train with the Broncos.
Chief executive Paul White said the 22-year-old had been stood down effective immediately