• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let’s smash the Sunwolves this weekend and get back on track. I think we will match up pretty well against all Aussie teams including The Brumbies. If we do that we will go close to topping the conference and the good news is we have done our travel leg, that ahead of all the others.

I think we should be aiming to win three from the next four (Sunwolves, Bulls, Sharks) with only the Saders potentially being a bridge too far.

If we can do that we are well set up to take on the Tahs, Rebels & Ponies.

You should beat the Tahs and Rebels by roughly 7 million

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
They signed him for 2k
A couple of years ago before things changed and went up a cliff face for 16-18 year old “talent”

I might add I wasn’t really referring to whatever was thrown around initially - whether it was $2k , $20k or $300k (Sam Walker money) I was referring to the ultimate Ponga like money he will eventually command in league.

Also to add for Bobby’s benefit , I acknowledge the greater pool of money in AFL (nominally) compared to NRL re : telecast rights , however , bigger personnel numbers to spread it around and more to support around the camp fire in what truly is a national game.

But beyond money ....he’s a NQ kid in hearts and minds territory that belongs to league

B

Bobby Sands

A couple of years ago before things changed and went up a cliff face for 16-18 year old “talent”

I might add I wasn’t really referring to whatever was thrown around initially - whether it was $2k , $20k or $300k (Sam Walker money) I was referring to the ultimate Ponga like money he will eventually command in league.

Also to add for Bobby’s benefit , I acknowledge the greater pool of money in AFL (nominally) compared to NRL re : telecast rights , however , bigger personnel numbers to spread it around and more to support around the camp fire in what truly is a national game.

But beyond money ..he’s a NQ kid in hearts and minds territory that belongs to league

I look forward to watching him in Origin soon, he’s one of the hottest outside back prospects in the NRL.

BBC last year has another two future stars who are signed to The Storm.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

But beyond money ..he’s a NQ kid in hearts and minds territory that belongs to league

He'd potentially make a lot more money over a career in rugby, especially overseas. I'm sure there are a few
more mitigating factors in place other than just money. Plus he can always chase the bigger rugby money abroad later after achieving all that can be achieved in the small league pools.

B

Bobby Sands

Barely had any game time, he didn’t take the field in the first game and unfortunately was not great in his short time on the field for the second (probably had 2 or 3 touches and bombed a try with one of those). Broncos were pretty useless and were knocked out after their 2 pool games.

That’s really disappointing news about Izzy, I was really hoping he would apply himself and crack the team this year. Hope he can sort his shit out and get back into some kind of footy in the near future.

Edit: He actually didn’t play at all, Broncs found out a day before the 9s and sent him home. His name was called in a game but obviously wasn’t him. The charges have come out and are quite serious.

Haha who were you talking about?

They weren’t great, but weren’t poor. Won 1/2.

The player we are talking about above tore the Broncos apart with pure speed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hmm disappointing when any sport star ruins their career by stupid mistakes, Perese is a bit of an enigma it would seem

It appears they are performance enhancing drudge charges. Makes you wonder about comments made in pre-season about training through his knee pain and being stronger then ever.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Where does it say they are performance enhancing? Not doubting that they could be, but from the only report I’ve seen it sounds like a full police matter and the Broncos are cooperating. I would have thought if it was PEDs related then it would have been reported as ASADA failed test or something along those lines.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
it was reported on other social media as that, not confirmed obviously, could still have been party drugs

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Where does it say they are performance enhancing? Not doubting that they could be, but from the only report I’ve seen it sounds like a full police matter and the Broncos are cooperating. I would have thought if it was PEDs related then it would have been reported as ASADA failed test or something along those lines.
Doesn't seem like he was caught using.
A separate police investigation into an alleged drug kingpin found 22-year-old Perese had allegedly been associated with him and as a result has been charged by authorities.

Police confirmed the former Reds player was charged with supplying a dangerous drug, possession of a dangerous drug, unlawful possession of a controlled drug and obtaining property from trafficking a dangerous drug.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Enough time has past now and I feel comfortable sharing. Who else finds watching the Reds emotionally draining? I can't watch them but can't not watch either, I find myself finding things to do around the house whilst watching the tele. By full time I am totally shattered.
By half time I was the happiest I had been in years, but by full time I felt like I had slipped into depression. Still trying to find psychological balance. The wifey keeps asking me what’s wrong.
I refrained from posting in the match thread in case I caused harm to other.

B

Bobby Sands

Western Force?

EDIT. Just googled him and he’s been in England for the last few years. Any reports on how he’s going? Good age.

Dunno but he’s getting plenty of game time, good age, he’s massive (maybe too tall), and at a great club to learn the dark arts.

In this article from three weeks ago he talks about wanting to play international, but maybe he wants to convert to England? Got no idea.

https://www.wokinghampaper.co.uk/interview-ollie-hoskins-excited-ahead-of-new-era-at-london-irish/

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I remember when Ruan and JP Smith were fairly poor props in their early 20s. They are scrumming machines now. I have always hoped Hoskins would make the same transformation.

Yeh if I recall JP played in the centres throughout high school. When they first arrived at GPS before they ever had Super Rugby/Professional contracts they were the best ball running props I had seen at that level, but their scrummaging was definitely on the back burner. Its good to see their development and definitely backs up the old saying that props are like a fine wine, getting better with age.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Story by Wayne Smith in today's Australian reporting Scott Johnson has lodged a formal complaint to SANZAR about the poor officiating in the last two Reds games.

Apparently focuses on the scrum of the Reds not being rewarded for their dominance and makes particular reference to the penalty against TT that then got piggy backed up the field for a rolling maul try ( and yellow card to Wright) and no yellow card against the Lions for repeated infringements despite the number of infringements reaching the threshold for an automatic yellow. Both game changing moments.

First time RA has lodged a complaint on behalf of a Super team. Johnson claims the poor officiating cost the Reds two away wins. Will be interesting to hear if SANZAR's response is any different back to a home nation and if the complaint carries any more weight coming from RA.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Story by Wayne Smith in today's Australian reporting Scott Johnson has lodged a formal complaint to SANZAR about the poor officiating in the last two Reds games.

Apparently focuses on the scrum of the Reds not being rewarded for their dominance and makes particular reference to the penalty against TT that then got piggy backed up the field for a rolling maul try ( and yellow card to Wright) and no yellow card against the Lions for repeated infringements despite the number of infringements reaching the threshold for an automatic yellow. Both game changing moments.

First time RA has lodged a complaint on behalf of a Super team. Johnson claims the poor officiating cost the Reds two away wins. Will be interesting to hear if SANZAR's response is any different back to a home nation and if the complaint carries any more weight coming from RA.

Fuck yeah - get stuck in Scotty. Earn your keep.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Can only support this action. SANZAR may well take a different position but I think it is definitely worth pushing.