• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2020

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Based on the two games I saw (didn’t bother with watching Wales Italy), would say it’s the most even comp for a few years with any of the teams bar Italy having a chance of winning it.

Scotland were good and deserved to win, which is impressive without their second best player out of the team in Russel.

Ireland were lucky, they defended well but were lucky the French ref had zero respect for the offside line

England selected too many players out of positions, and seemed asleep for 60 minutes. Should have 24-0 bar for Johnny May with two amazing individual tries. Huge week as if they don’t beat Scotland the knives will be out in the press for Eddie.

France first 30 minutes were electric, like the French teams of old. Free flowing high energy rugby with a solid base in the forwards. Only issue is their defence, if you can get through the first line their backs don’t really know how to defend. However they have a totally new team with new coaches so likely they are only going to get better as the tournament progresses.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Absolutely loved seeing that smug git Eddie Jones get his pre-game words shoved back down his throat, especially re: brutality. England got absolutely dished up in the tough stuff for most of that game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Round 2 coming up.
match of the round is Ireland v Wales.
Wales: Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Nick Tompkins, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams, Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams, Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Dillon Lewis, Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (C), Aaron Wainwright, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.
Replacements: Ryan Elias, Rhys Carre, Leon Brown, Adam Beard, Ross Moriarty, Gareth Davies, Owen Williams, Johnny McNichol
Ireland: Jordan Larmour; Andrew Conway, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Peter O’Mahony, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier.
Replacements: Ronan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Max Deegan, John Cooney, Ross Byrne, Keith Earls.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
If this was in Wales I'd say Wales by 9 but it's in Dublin. So, I think Wales by 1.

I'll be cheering the emerald but I fear you might be right. I know it was against Italy but Wales were looking good in open play. A few set piece problems so that might be an area of weakness but the boys in green weren't looking great. I'm not sure Farrell has done enough to renew this team or to send a signal that he's picking on form.

I expect England to bounce back, though Scotland wont need too much encouragement to get up for this one and I really liked what I saw from them last week. I think they were a few bumbles away from winning that game.

France started fab but faded. It will be a true mark of how much they have evolved if they can back it up by not letting Italy over the chalk. It's another home game so no excuses.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty dominant game from England against a Irish side. Looks like England are back on track. Didn't actually think Ireland played that well though, Sexton had a 'mare and they seemed to make some odd choices in attack.

French are 3/3, trop bon mes amis. Ntamack seems to be the only flyhalf I'd actually get a beer with (Finn would already be at the pub), Ntamack is such a calm bloke for so young. Really exciting stuff with different players standing up each round for them. If they can continue their trajectory the RWC in France in 2023 should be an absolute belter.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Just once I’d like to see Farrell get his come-upance. Just once. The worm should’ve gotten a yellow for that ridiculous professional foul. A more charmed run I’ve never seen.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Pretty dominant game from England against a Irish side. Looks like England are back on track. Didn't actually think Ireland played that well though, Sexton had a 'mare and they seemed to make some odd choices in attack.

French are 3/3, trop bon mes amis. Ntamack seems to be the only flyhalf I'd actually get a beer with (Finn would already be at the pub), Ntamack is such a calm bloke for so young. Really exciting stuff with different players standing up each round for them. If they can continue their trajectory the RWC in France in 2023 should be an absolute belter.

Watched both matches, France's tactic seem to be come out of the gates and just smash teams in the first half then they seem to drop off and just try to contain in the second half. Guess that points to their run on team being a lot better than the blokes on the pine. Were lucky to escape with the win against Wales, I thought the welsh were going to steal it at the end.

As for the Irish, it was like watching the Wallabies under Cheika at Twickenham. They just didn't rock up, no clear tactics and such poor kicking. Have no idea what happened to Sexton either, he had an absolute nightmare. I ended up switching off at half time.

Grand Slam looking good for France. Have Scotland away and Ireland back home, their schedule has favoured them a lot so the Welsh game in Cardiff was the big win for them.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just once I’d like to see Farrell get his come-upance. Just once. The worm should’ve gotten a yellow for that ridiculous professional foul. A more charmed run I’ve never seen.

"Back in the day" a flurry of punches to his head would have seen him release a lot sooner.
Not that I'm advocating punch ups, of course. Rugby is a much better game for their absence. :rolleyes:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

As for the Irish, it was like watching the Wallabies under Cheika at Twickenham. They just didn't rock up, no clear tactics and such poor kicking. Have no idea what happened to Sexton either, he had an absolute nightmare. I ended up switching off at half time.

My lads in green really did look aimless for much of that game. They just didn't seem to know how to deal with the rush defence which was pretty concerning because it's not like it's a new approach for England. They kept playing so deep and out the back for large parts of the game. It resulted in them going backwards at an alarming rate. Add the static pods of forwards and one out runners and England had no issues in just shooting off the line again and again. It was painful to watch. 

I've said it before but Murray needs to start on the pine, Conney just adds more. He's more hungry for it. Some of Murray's kicks were so cringe worthy and Sexton was alarmingly off his game.

Tuilagi makes such a difference for how England like to play. Itoje is just a pest, though I do feel he gets away with a bit at times, particularly around the ruck. They really need a better scrum half though, I just don't rate Ben Youngs.

Overall a disappointing game for Ireland who looked to be getting some of their mojo back after a dismal 2019. I guess that resilience to stay in the fight and make the scoreboard look a little more respectable is a positive. Poor James Ryan looked absolutely shattered at the end of that game after running at a white wall all night.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I've said it before but Murray needs to start on the pine, Conney just adds more. He's more hungry for it. Some of Murray's kicks were so cringe worthy and Sexton was alarmingly off his game.

Tuilagi makes such a difference for how England like to play. Itoje is just a pest, though I do feel he gets away with a bit at times, particularly around the ruck. They really need a better scrum half though, I just don't rate Ben Youngs.

What has happened to Murray? Two years ago he was probably best 9 in world rugby and his kicking was outstanding. Seemed a shell of that yesterday, think one of his box kicks nearly landed back on his head at one stage.

Tuilagi is immense, don't like England at all but he must be the best 13 in world rugby. If he had a whole year without getting injured it would be scary as he just provides so much forward momentum to England plus his defence and tackling is top rate as well. Think if he had played the full 80 against France it may have been a different story.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
What has happened to Murray? Two years ago he was probably best 9 in world rugby and his kicking was outstanding. Seemed a shell of that yesterday, think one of his box kicks nearly landed back on his head at one stage.

I really don't know. He's been a little unlucky with some injuries the last couple of years but nothing more than many players overcome. He's been pretty average for Munster too. Not terrible but nothing to say he should be first pick 9. I think Farrell has fallen into the same trap that Australia often has over the years of backing his incumbents when really he should have been rewarding form. The only little bit of leeway I'd say for this game was that the pack really didn't setup well in protecting some of his kicks which is really disappointing to see as Ireland used to be all about the detail over the last couple of years. I hope this new relaxed Ireland doesn't result in some of their strengths disappearing.

Sexton likewise has been very meh for awhile now. I think if Carbery hadn't been injured for awhile there'd be an argument for a change there too. Just no one else really standing up. Carty and others not really looking ready.

Tuilagi is immense, don't like England at all but he must be the best 13 in world rugby. If he had a whole year without getting injured it would be scary as he just provides so much forward momentum to England plus his defence and tackling is top rate as well. Think if he had played the full 80 against France it may have been a different story.

You could see Tuilagi was enjoying himself. Actually the whole England team looked in a better headspace, though I guess having such a dominate start helped. I think Kerevi could have got up there as one of the best 13's if he'd kept rounding out his game but I tend to agree if I was creating a world team atm then Tuilagi would be well up there for the 13 jersey.