• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Speaking of players who are frequently injured, I liked what I saw from Rob Valetini on the weekend.

He's been talked up by many for a few years, and while he's shown some glimpses I can't say I have ever been super impressed by his game. Maybe I just didn't see what others did. He wasn't bad by any stretch, just not that good.

But he's clearly bulked up a bit, had a few years of pro rugby under his belt, and now he looks like he belongs out there.

If his development continues I think a Valetini-Hooper-Naisirani backrow would have a nice balance about it.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
On the subject of backrows, I don't think it would be implausible for Rennie to try LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6. The lesson Eddie seems to have taken from the RWC was to play as many locks as possible, and he had 5 in the 23 against Ireland today. And it worked! Had a lot of power, good in set piece and allowed him to play the mobile but powerful Curry and Underhill pairing.
The RWC finalists are both putting out a lot of tall timber, so don't think it is something we should dismiss out of hand (however our lack of lock depth is obviously an obstacle here).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the subject of backrows, I don't think it would be implausible for Rennie to try LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6. The lesson Eddie seems to have taken from the RWC was to play as many locks as possible, and he had 5 in the 23 against Ireland today. And it worked! Had a lot of power, good in set piece and allowed him to play the mobile but powerful Curry and Underhill pairing.
The RWC finalists are both putting out a lot of tall timber, so don't think it is something we should dismiss out of hand (however our lack of lock depth is obviously an obstacle here).

I think the biggest challenge with it is ensuring anyone you have playing in the backrow has the agility to defend in those wider channels. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) got found out a couple of times there last season and that is where I think the biggest downside of playing a lock in the backrow is.

The Springboks certainly benefit from the agility that guys like Pieter Steph du Toit and RG Snyman have. I'm not sure we have anyone comparable.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I do like the look of Paisami. A lot like Kata at the Brumbies, but both very inexperienced at the moment. If the call for Paisami to be a Wallaby isn't quite the current rage, then there have been a lot of posts suggesting he will, or has, replaced Petaia at 13 for the Reds. Given Petaia is rightly a contender for the Wallaby spot when fit, it is not such a large leap to infer that those posters also see him in the Wallaby 13 jersey.

Kata is ineligible as far as I'm aware, it'll be years before he's in the conversation.

As far as Paisami goes the chat is not that he's above Kurindrani, but that with Petaia's injury there's a lack of out an out 13s, and that he's playing (and playing the position) well enough to slot into 2nd choice behind TK. That does make him a decent chance of a wallabies jersey this year and certainly a squad spot. Given the tahs and Rebels are not playing well and aren't particularly settled on their 13s it's hard to argue anyone else is ahead of for that spot.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
A lot of chat here (rightfully) about the 9, 10 & 12 jerseys for the Wallabies this year.

In order for the backs to shine (and at the risk of using that old hyperbole), the forwards need to lay a solid foundation and go-forward ball. With that said, I'm curious as to who people are looking at for the second row?

Obviously, Rodda is the incumbent in the No. 4 jersey and if he gets through the Soup season uninjured, it's likely he's a lock for that position. With the departure of Coleman and Arnold, the no. 5 jersey and at least two squad spots will be up for grabs. The options are seemingly:

- Rob Simmons: Australia's most experienced second rower with 98 caps. He's got more bark than bite, often has hands like feet in contact and is playing the the worst performing Super Rugby pack. Given the lack of experienced alternatives, he may just be given a squad jersey (much to the moaning of many here).
- Matt Phillip; Solid yet unspectacular. Bit of a journeyman in Super Rugby. Could this be his year?
- Lukhan Salakia-Loto; Has been bouncing between No. 6 and No. 5 at the Reds. At 198cm, he's the shortest on this list (interestingly, he's taller than Maro Itoje and same height as Franco Mostert).
- Angus Blyth; Starting to look like a solid super rugby veteran, not just an oversized gangly schoolboy.
- Harry Hockings; see Angus Blyth above. Blyth appears to have the jump on Hockings at the Reds.
- Caderyn Neville; Wallaby tourist in 2012. Solid at Super Rugby level. At 32, hardly an investment in the future.
- Darcy Swain; Was excited to see Swain play this year after last years NRC. Hope he doesn't get trapped behind Douglas and Neville at the Ponies.
- Frost; Bit of a smokey for this list. Maybe a year or two too early, seemingly very bright future.

For me, I'm hoping to see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) be considered in the second row and selected alongside some up-and-comers such as Blyth.

For me, it will be one of the more interesting selections to watch this year.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Speaking of players who are frequently injured, I liked what I saw from Rob Valetini on the weekend.

If his development continues I think a Valetini-Hooper-Naisirani backrow would have a nice balance about it.

Samu on the bench to tear oppositions apart with 30 minutes to go.

Wilson in the squad for development.

That's close to a wet-dream of a backrow.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think the front row selection is pretty settled with some combination of the Reds and Brumbies front rows. I think that's fairly universally accepted.

The second row is likely Rodda plus. Likely Hockings/Blyth/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I can't see the Brumbies locks being up to it and young enough to justify selection bar maybe Frost/Swain coming on (how is Hanigan playing?). I personally would prefer LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) coming off the bench because of his versatility but I suspect he'll find himself playing in the 5 jersey. Anyone else got ideas for the second row?

The back row is the most debatable of the forwards.

I personally think we should be done with Hooper unless he really steps up for the Waratahs. It use to be we didn't have options, but now we have almost too many quality back rowers stepping up. I think Hooper being in the side almost means it can never truly be Rennie's side. He was too closely tied to Cheika.
Will Miller, Pete Samu, Isi Naisarani, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Liam Wright, even Angus Scott-Young is an option (I'm sure I've left some off). Then throw in the likes of McCaffrey etc.

I'd probably expect something like Samu, Wilson and Wright, Naisarani coming off the bench.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I personally think we should be done with Hooper unless he really steps up for the Waratahs. It use to be we didn't have options, but now we have almost too many quality back rowers stepping up. I think Hooper being in the side almost means it can never truly be Rennie's side. He was too closely tied to Cheika.
Will Miller, Pete Samu, Isi Naisarani, Fraser McReight, Harry Wilson, Liam Wright, even Angus Scott-Young is an option (I'm sure I've left some off). Then throw in the likes of McCaffrey etc.

I'd probably expect something like Samu, Wilson and Wright, Naisarani coming off the bench.

You mean we're done with the incumbent Wallabies Captain. The bloke with 99 caps. More than likely will be the youngest ever to reach 100? The same bloke who has won 2 John Eales awards as the MVP wallaby? The youngest captain of the wallabies since Ken Catchpole in 1962? Perhaps time to take off those rose coloured glasses.

Also, you failed to mention Rob Valetini - he's probably the form No. 6 of the Aussie sides this year. He'll be there well before McReight, Wilson, Scott-Young and McCaffrey (although I'd love to see Wilson and McReight get exposed to the Wallabies as squad training members).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You mean we're done with the incumbent Wallabies Captain. The bloke with 99 caps. More than likely will be the youngest ever to reach 100? The same bloke who has won 2 John Eales awards as the MVP wallaby? The youngest captain of the wallabies since Ken Catchpole in 1962? Perhaps time to take off those rose coloured glasses.

Also, you failed to mention Rob Valetini - he's probably the form No. 6 of the Aussie sides this year. He'll be there well before McReight, Wilson, Scott-Young and McCaffrey (although I'd love to see Wilson and McReight get exposed to the Wallabies as squad training members).

He was also once nominated for World Rugby Player of the Year..........

But yes, we should discard him because "liam gill fuk u cheka", or something like that.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Like I said, I think it'll never be truly Rennie's team, he was too closely tied to Cheika. I think the margin between Hooper and the alternative isn't so large to justify keeping the biggest reminder of Cheika's legacy. But I think it's almost impossible to fairly judge Hooper's performance this year because the Waratahs are going to be so bad.

As for Valentini didn't he do his knee or something on the weekend, that's why I didn't list him? I'm not sold on him, I was really high on Valentini coming out of the NRC but I'm not sure I've seen that translate to Super Rugby form just yet. But if he performs at Test Level I'd love to have him, I'm just not sure he's going to (happy to change my mind).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As for Valentini didn't he do his knee or something on the weekend, that's why I didn't list him? I'm not sold on him, I was really high on Valentini coming out of the NRC but I'm not sure I've seen that translate to Super Rugby form just yet. But if he performs at Test Level I'd love to have him, I'm just not sure he's going to (happy to change my mind).

Nah, Valetini came out just fine after demoralising Chiefs forwards..........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like I said, I think it'll never be truly Rennie's team, he was too closely tied to Cheika. I think the margin between Hooper and the alternative isn't so large to justify keeping the biggest reminder of Cheika's legacy. But I think it's almost impossible to fairly judge Hooper's performance this year because the Waratahs are going to be so bad.

This whole post is complete bullshit.

What kind of terrible coach would you have to be to not be able to select the incumbent captain whatsoever because you considered their link to the previous coach strong? Seems very unlikely Rennie would be thinking along those lines.

I do like that in your previous post, most of your backrow options are from teams that have won one game out of four each but you also say it's impossible to judge Hooper's play because the Waratahs are so bad.

Do we need to ask how many games from each of the Australian teams you've watched so far this year?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

What nonsense. Rennie himself said he'll be picking the best performing player in each position. If he thinks Hooper is the best 7, he'll pick him.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

C'mon mate, that's like saying Beale, Pocock Genia etc. were never really Cheika's team, because Deans selected them. Poor logic.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the front row selection is pretty settled with some combination of the Reds and Brumbies front rows. I think that's fairly universally accepted.

The second row is likely Rodda plus. Likely Hockings/Blyth/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I can't see the Brumbies locks being up to it and young enough to justify selection bar maybe Frost/Swain coming on (how is Hanigan playing?). I personally would prefer LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) coming off the bench because of his versatility but I suspect he'll find himself playing in the 5 jersey. Anyone else got ideas for the second row?

The back row is the most debatable of the forwards.

Have you been watching any games before naming your team?. Hooper has been good and Hanigan hasn't played a game yet

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)

Well it translated pretty well on Saturday afternoon - he (alongside Miller and Samu) dominated the Chiefs back-row (including one Sam Cane). One of the primary reasons the Ponies backline functioned so well.

Per Rugbypass:

5 carries for 18 meters (mainly post-contact meters), 1 defender beaten, 11 tackles (team high) and 1 tackles missed. Nil penalties or infringements.

Compare that the Lukhan Salakia-Loto: 1 try, 5 carries for 12 meters , no defenders beaten, 8 tackles and 2 tackles missed. 1 penalty against.

That's a pretty good shift

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't believe no one has mentioned Rob Valetini's haircut yet. If it ends up being a close run thing, he clearly gets the nod on that basis.