• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fuck Foxtel. According an article on mumbrella.com.au Foxtel offered RA $57m/year before walking away. If I were RA I'd be inclined to say to Optus/Ten that if they are willing to match that in a combined bid that gives us a FTA conduit then they get the rights. Just to stick it up Foxtel. I'm cancelling my Kayo sub as soon as I finish typing.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
F*** oath. I like the rugby on my TV via Kayo but it's literally the only reason Fox/News Corp gets a cent from me. Good riddance, should Optus/Ten take over the broadcasting.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Lots of gung-ho 'Foxtel gets the arse, we like' and/or 'Optus/10 will bid big, all will be OK' and/or 'don't worry Foxtel will come back into the bidding' sentiments here.

But, on objective grounds, an equally valid hypothesis is that this is a very dangerous time for Australian rugby in broadcaster $s terms. Every State/Territory RU depends upon RA's broadcaster-derived $s to survive, as does RA itself.

Every key eyeballs-on-rugby metric for investment justification by an Australian broadcaster is falling markedly - what prudent buyer of rugby rights would not need to factor in this trend and from a poor 2020 base, and not assume a magical reversal - to their ROI scenarios.

Optus will be intrinsically cautious wrt any rugby rights bid given the code's core trend metrics and that it must sub-contract the full visual production to 10 most likely and 10 is by no means flush with cash to splurge on rugby rights or cross-subsidised production costs for a niche code under stress. I could be wrong, but I'd surmise that Optus would be very nervous re a scenario whereby it had to run the entire all-of-rugby visual production process all over the country by itself having never done this before.

If Foxtel really don't come into the bidding - and surely it bidding rough and blind on a RA facts and games on offer doc it has not even bothered to obtain (but its competitors have) is unlikely and potentially very risky to it - until very late past a formal bids-in date or not at all, Optus will rightly low-ball their $ offer big time. If Foxtel simply don't come in ever and Optus/10 bid way low - the entire Foxtel-fed economic framework that has held up the ill-run and fragile enterprise that is Australian Rugby for the last decade or more could collapse with truly calamitous consequences for the code in this country.

And what if Optus/10 simply does not bid and neither does Foxtel - quite conceivable - and RA is left to return with its outstretched begging bowl to Foxtel? What of Foxtel's 'last resort, please save RA' $ offer level then, if indeed it wanted to make one at all.

The critical issue remains for Foxtel as it always was/is: how many STBs and Kayo subs will it lose with no rugby and how much higher - if at all higher - is this lost $ value than any $ cost to obtain and then also produce the rugby rights for 2021-25? My guess is that calculus for Foxtel has got far tighter, more rigorous and much more cautious than at any previous point in the past 5 year rugby rights bidding cycles.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Lots of gung-ho 'Foxtel gets the arse, we like' and/or 'Optus/10 will bid big, all will be OK' and/or 'don't worry Foxtel will come back into the bidding' sentiments here.

But, on objective grounds, an equally valid hypothesis is that this is a very dangerous time for Australian rugby in broadcaster $s terms. Every State/Territory RU depends upon RA's broadcaster-derived $s to survive, as does RA itself...

Yes, it's a dangerous time - I think it's a dangerous time to be either a sports broadcaster, or a sport relying on TV rights funding, unless you're absolutely dominant in your market. The AFL and NRL will still get good money from networks that simply can't afford to lose them, but everyone else will be very nervous. Put aside the standard of Australian rugby for a moment - what will the broadcasting environment look like at the end of this next five year deal? Fox, News Corp, Ch Ten - they will all be very nervous about their revenue outlook overall, not just from rugby. At least Optus is getting most of its income from a healthy industry.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
F*** oath. I like the rugby on my TV via Kayo but it's literally the only reason Fox/News Corp gets a cent from me. Good riddance, should Optus/Ten take over the broadcasting.

Seems News Corp are deploying their NRL news-style to the rugby TV rights fight - 24/7 disaster/outrage/freakout. Works for them, I guess. However, I'll take it as a good sign that there doesn't seem to have been any rash response from RA about this - just a steady message and no change in their approach. I don't think any of us know how this will pan up - or what sports broadcasting will look like by 2025 - but I think RA are handling it well.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Why then would Optus not be cautious in the manner stated? You assess I assume they have the rational basis to bid big or bullishly for RA's rugby rights package despite rugby's niche status and its current viewer and crowd metrics trends and the relatively poor state of Aust's Super teams and the Wallabies?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why then would Optus not be cautious in the manner stated? You assess I assume they have the rational basis to bid big or bullishly for RA's rugby rights package despite rugby's niche status and its current viewer and crowd metrics trends and the relatively poor state of Aust's Super teams and the Wallabies?

No, meaning.........

Optus will be intrinsically cautious wrt any rugby rights bid given the code's core trend metrics and that it must sub-contract the full visual production to 10 most likely.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Seven West announced a $67m loss just last week.

True but in contrast Nine for FY19 produced an EBITDA of $350m on a revenue of $1.848 bn. Not too bad. The notion that well-run FTA and general news-driven and Pay TV channels will just be soon vaporised by streaming and such like pure IP-based services is not proven.

Sky (Pay) TV was in late 2018 sold for US$39bn to Comcast the latter not a company known for strategic stupidity.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I have been following this one for a few years and it's an interesting story when it comes to TV deal options and making it work. Although its from the US, like Rugby the sport is considered a niche sport, was on the decline (ratings / attendance) and their choice when it came time to renew their TV deal was certainly a different approach. The broadcast partnership arrangements are interesting but work for both parties. At the time it was considered a gamble and was fairly unpopular with fans.

The down side for RA with something like this is the investment cost. I don't think RA could afford this in house production model.

I believe it's worth a read. It would be great if Rugby had the same success.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/interviews/nhra-brad-gerber-drag-racing-commercial-growth

https://www.strutmasters.com/nhra-stock-rising/

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/nhra-launches-new-online-video-and-live-streaming-service

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Be warned the telegraph is throwing another hefty shot at RA tomorrow with an article on Folau. All seems to be conveniently timed with these broadcast rights tussle going on.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Be warned the telegraph is throwing another hefty shot at RA tomorrow with an article on Folau. All seems to be conveniently timed with these broadcast rights tussle going on.

Happy for them to throw the stones and let the NRL deal with this: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-16/israel-folau-makes-catalans-dragons-debut-in-france/1196856 The Super League signing veto rules were voted in earlier this month.

Interesting that after one game his current coach is already talking him up to go back to the NRL. Buyers regret?

The Tele and Co will need to be careful that they don't scare away there own sponsorship $$$.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Today's Australian (Tuesday) has the full affidavits from both Kepu and Kerevi from last November. They say with conviction they and other Christians were gagged by RA.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Today's Australian (Tuesday) has the full affidavits from both Kepu and Kerevi from last November. They say with conviction they and other Christians were gagged by RA.

The Daily Telegraph also has the affidavits. Castle denies that players were muzzled thereby implying/accusing Kepu and Kerevi of perjury.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Daily Telegraph also has the affidavits. Castle denies that players were muzzled thereby implying/accusing Kepu and Kerevi of perjury.

But in neither affidavit it says that. Saying with conviction that they were gagged by RA via the code of conduct they agreed to perhaps?

I would suggest that RA (and Tahs) had requested no one make comments in relation to an ongoing workplace related matter; specifically the Folau matter. It removes any bias, protects people's privacy and allows a fair hearing. Standard workplace stuff.

In Kepu's case the Tah's might have though withdrawing him from fronting the media may protect him from difficult questions that they knew he was uncomfortable about (as he had talked to them about it and also prevent him saying something stupid and detrimental to himself / career). Kepu says he had access to Tahs and RA management (Gibson, Hore, Hooper, Cheika, Castle) so it appears he had plenty of management access and supports.

Kerevi states it was ALL Reds players were told not to make comment. So it was not just him or the "christian" players. But with Kerevi its interesting as he did make statements in relation to his religious belief in that period as did other players. https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/samu...troversy/d620ebfe-5340-48dd-a4a9-e2e2ed5b092f

It could also be argued that both affidavits also suggest that Kepu (in particular) and Kerevi were struggling to comprehend the situation as explained by being unable to explain it to other players and having issue understanding the process.

All past history.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Izzy scored with his first touch.
Coach is probably talking him up to get more punters through the gate.

Comments were specifically about his NRL eligibility and stating he should be allowed to play again in the NRL at the end of his contract (or even now). They were not related to the game he just played. Question was asked by SMH jurno. Don't think Catalans supporters read the SMH or really care about the NRL.