• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The whole process shouts even louder that Castle has got to go. Hopefully Paul McLean will do one positive thing for the game in his interim role as Chairman, and sack Castle. How much more damage is she going to do to Australian rugby? How long has she been in charge and can anybody name one positive thing she has done for the game?

The first step to making Australian Rugby Great Again is to sack her.

This doesn't even warrant a response. You obviously don't read this forum very comprehensively if you can't name a single positive thing that she's done.

In fact, almost everything she's done has been positive.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The whole process shouts even louder that Castle has got to go. Hopefully Paul McLean will do one positive thing for the game in his interim role as Chairman, and sack Castle. How much more damage is she going to do to Australian rugby? How long has she been in charge and can anybody name one positive thing she has done for the game?

Amen brother. Drain the swamp!

Don't listen to the GAGRaelene #losers who come on here, with their thinly-veiled 'analysis' that is really just fandom. Sad!

She has been in office over a year, and in that time we haven't won a single Bledisloe, we lost the World Cup, and look at the state of our once-great Super Rugby sides.

J

JeepsTragic

This doesn't even warrant a response. You obviously don't read this forum very comprehensively if you can't name a single positive thing that she's done.

In fact, almost everything she's done has been positive.

You, sir, are an idiot.

Look at the scoreboard. Rugby is dying.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing again and again expecting a different result.

You tell me Einstien, is Australian rugby stronger or weaker that 10 years ago? Are numbers at SuperXV up or down? Is the product more or less saleable? When the rubber hits the road castle has been a failure. If she were the CEO of a publicly listed company she would have been out the door years ago.

But maybe I am missing something. Don't believe my lying eyes. Rugby is in great shape and poised to take over as the dominate winter sport in Australia. I've got a bridge to sell you if you believe that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing again and again expecting a different result.

You tell me Einstien, is Australian rugby stronger or weaker that 10 years ago? Are numbers at SuperXV up or down? Is the product more or less saleable? When the rubber hits the road castle has been a failure. If she were the CEO of a publicly listed company she would have been out the door years ago.

But maybe I am missing something. Don't believe my lying eyes. Rugby is in great shape and poised to take over as the dominate winter sport in Australia. I've got a bridge to sell you if you believe that.

You tell me Einstein, how long has she been in the job?

Tex

John Thornett (49)

Big brain counting methodology when she's been in the job for 2 years.

J

JeepsTragic

Just tell me, is rugby better or worse since she took the job? I don't think her predecessor was much chop either, so don't think he escapes without blame. But there seem to be this cartel of clowns who think Australian rugby is heading in the right direction. Only somebody who hates rugby or a Kiwi (joke) would think all is tickity-boo with Australian rugby. Its not, and if we keep our head buried in the sand I can only see a further slide down the international rankings.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
GPS, you've said a lot of words without saying much. Go on and give us some specifics on what you would have like Castle to have done differently since 01-Jan-2018.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just tell me, is rugby better or worse since she took the job? I don't think her predecessor was much chop either, so don't think he escapes without blame. But there seem to be this cartel of clowns who think Australian rugby is heading in the right direction. Only somebody who hates rugby or a Kiwi (joke) would think all is tickity-boo with Australian rugby. Its not, and if we keep our head buried in the sand I can only see a further slide down the international rankings.

I think the running of Rugby Australia has improved markedly since she took over.

The process by which Dave Rennie was appointed by coach and the assistants gathered was excellent. Easily the best coaching team we have had assembled for the Wallabies in recent memory.

I think the Folau issue was dealt with as best as it possibly could be. He had to go.

The pathways program is paying big dividends and our Junior Wallabies made the final of the Under 20 World Championships last year. Our best result for a long time.

No one thinks everything is going smoothly in Australian rugby nor that the game doesn't face huge issues regarding its ongoing popularity here. I am unsure how punting Castle will improve that. In my opinion as someone who has followed the game very closely for a long time now, she is doing a good job as CEO.

J

JeepsTragic

GPS, you've said a lot of words without saying much. Go on and give us some specifics on what you would have like Castle to have done differently since 01-Jan-2018.

I would have merged the Rebels and the Brumbies and kept the Force. I would have ignored the Falou tweet and told the media that he is entitled to his opinion just as they are entitled to their opinion. I would have looked at the NRC and changed it so it was more representative of club rugby to try and generate some tribalism or go down the path of a 2 tiered national club competition. I would have developed a pathway for coaches so that all the top level positions were not filled by kiwi's.

I think the Brett Papworth letter was too important to ignore which is what RA essentially did.

Rugby would be stronger and richer (thanks to Twiggy). But again I will go back to basics - Is Australian rugby headed in the right direction? You obviously think it is and I would disagree. I want rugby to be strong and resilient and a team to be proud of and I don't know what you want - maybe a more inclusive, fairer organisation for everybody (except for those who disagree)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have merged the Rebels and the Brumbies and kept the Force. I would have ignored the Falou tweet and told the media that he is entitled to his opinion just as they are entitled to their opinion. I would have looked at the NRC and changed it so it was more representative of club rugby to try and generate some tribalism or go down the path of a 2 tiered national club competition. I would have developed a pathway for coaches so that all the top level positions were not filled by kiwi's.

I think the Brett Papworth letter was too important to ignore which is what RA essentially did.

Rugby would be stronger and richer (thanks to Twiggy). But again I will go back to basics - Is Australian rugby headed in the right direction? You obviously think it is and I would disagree. I want rugby to be strong and resilient and a team to be proud of and I don't know what you want - maybe a more inclusive, fairer organisation for everybody (except for those who disagree)

There was no basis where the Rebels and Brumbies could have been merged. RA never had that right.

Regardless, the Force were axed prior to Castle being CEO.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Other than Folau, isn't Castle doing these things? Under the new TV deal we've flagged a national club comp of some description, a review of the NRC and the development of better coaching pathways.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Curious, what outlets do you read to keep on top of what's going on in Australian Rugby? As I don't think they're giving you the right information.

Otherwise you'd know the Force were axed 4 months prior to Castle starting. You would also know that the upcoming broadcast deal has Castle asking for a 2 tiered national comp to be played after the SS and QPR.

Furthermore, you'd also be aware that in July 2019, Rugby Aus released a 3 year 'Coach Development Framework' (which I have linked here).

So, with the latter pieces of information, plus what Braveheart has mentioned, what else do you think Castle isn't doing that your lords and savior's Pulver and John O'Neil did.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If anything the issues around divisions in the change room and problems for the Christian pasifika players highlights the value in the appointment of Rennie. Can't think of a better coach to heal those divisions.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If anything the issues around divisions in the change room and problems for the Christian pasifika players highlights the value in the appointment of Rennie. Can't think of a better coach to heal those divisions.

Not doubting you, but has he had experience with this stuff in the past?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the running of Rugby Australia has improved markedly since she took over.

The process by which Dave Rennie was appointed by coach and the assistants gathered was excellent. Easily the best coaching team we have had assembled for the Wallabies in recent memory.

I think the Folau issue was dealt with as best as it possibly could be. He had to go.

The pathways program is paying big dividends and our Junior Wallabies made the final of the Under 20 World Championships last year. Our best result for a long time.

No one thinks everything is going smoothly in Australian rugby nor that the game doesn't face huge issues regarding its ongoing popularity here. I am unsure how punting Castle will improve that. In my opinion as someone who has followed the game very closely for a long time now, she is doing a good job as CEO.

To me the essential and I think objective problem in assessing R Castle's CEO calibre for rugby's interests is that she inherited such a appallingly leaking bath tub that so much of her effort has had to go into merely trying to plug holes and pour more water in the top to stop the base level from sinking further downwards.

So it's hard to know how good her forward-going work is as the past is still smearing the present with its detritus.

Re the Rennie choosing process, again the assessment problem (of him, and of Castle's choice of him) will be in the fact that Aust is not producing and has not for some time produced an adequate quantity of highly skilled players of the type likely to provide a Wallabies team ready to break the lacklustre mould of recent years, and that is not Castle's fault. On top of that we have the gradual leakage of genuinely good players to Japan and Europe, again not Castle's fault.

The mediocre standard of most of our Super teams equally reflects years of structural and strategic complacency and institutionalised incompetence in terms of building the code's core strengths in, eg, coaching capabilities in depth and, related, player skills development.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Bahahaha!

J

JeepsTragic

Easily the most appropriate response to this drivel of a troll.

Is no one allowed to voice an opinion if they don't agree with you?

No you are right. RA is doing a sterling job. Rugby in Australia has never been stronger. crowds are up, participation is up, the best schoolboy players are staying in the game and either Foxtel or Optus are going to pay well over the odds to secure broadcasting rights.

You might think that the game is in great shape and that castle is the saviour but probably the silent majority disagree.