• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Am I right in saying:
1) no returning Aussie schoolboys /under 18 players this year;
2) Howath is Aussie under 18 Aussie RL and BSHS have 2 in Qld under 16 SOO team;
3) importantly- Ramano (BBC) is the only returning Qld 18 forward from team that won nationals last year ?

Yes and the 3 new NZ boys at TSS all had sisters who trialled for Jnr All Blacks.'
And the big new 8 at ACGS made NT RL under 18.
What does it all mean?
It means your beloved TSS are no where near favourites (ranked 3 on my list) to win back to back.

SOSJBW

Peter Burge (5)
Are there any star flyhalves likely to be playing in this year's premiership? I'm sure Nudgee will miss Pasatoa enormously this year after having him in the team the last 3 years, as will TSS, BBC and IGS miss their stars from last season. I'm just wondering whether Nudgee should have blooded someone in this position during the easier matches last season.

Nudgee subbed on Benn Dalle Cort at 10 for the last 15 minutes of some of the easier games last season

theRugbyguy223

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know how teams pre seasons have gone? heard nudgee have around 150 boys again, similar to last year but havent caught word about any other schools.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Are there any star flyhalves likely to be playing in this year's premiership? I'm sure Nudgee will miss Pasatoa enormously this year after having him in the team the last 3 years, as will TSS, BBC and IGS miss their stars from last season. I'm just wondering whether Nudgee should have blooded someone in this position during the easier matches last season.

Hard to say. Some good players coming through. NC, TSS and BBC probably have their 10's locked in. I don't think we will see any star flyhalves scoring a ton of tries themselves.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Mason Gordon is back for BBC is he not?

Would have got more time last year except for injury?

Correct

And all the people that are complaining about BBC losing to TSS on goalkicking -obviously dont know he broke his thumb ín the 16Â match that day-or would have come on at halftime.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Shit ! Really ?

Having that kicking in the 2nd half definitely would have turned around that 20-5 2nd half ..............hang on a minute .....nah that's not it either ......but carry on......

There was one kick attempt in the 2nd half which was Bowyer's 10m wide (left) attempt - off the only try for the 2nd half- and only good for 2 points - so no , no one coming on at half time to kick BBC to a win would have done dick. There was enough unravelling afoot without chucking another U16 player into this picture anyway.

It was 15-5 at half time.

There was then a 13 to 8 Turnover Count in the 2nd Half , 8 to 4 in the last 15 minutes of the game - all in TSS's favor

None of TSS's turnovers directly led to points - 4 of BBC's were fatal that led to 2 x tries by the sticks that were duly converted , and , brain fart penalties -also in front of the sticks that led to 2 x penalty kicks

Facts are there wasn't the composure that was required when it came down to it.

With the same guy at the ship this year he'll find another reef to run aground on. Why you Gilligan!!!!!!!!!!

A

Aussie Luke

When I was at Nudgee (20 or so years ago) we went down to the 9ths with 150 kids in the grade.

It's really sad that BSHS, IGS and BGS can only put together 7 teams between them with at least 500 students. Weak. These schools used to be part of the backbone of Qld rugby.

It's great that Terrace, BBC, Churchie seem to be excelling academically, but haven't neglected the character building aspects of their educational programme via rugby. Good on them. BSHS, IGS and BGS...very disappointing and very silly.

R

RuggerFan1

could be wrong but I think this was the makeup last year
IGS and BSHS: 2
BGS: 3
BBC and TSS: 4
TGS and ACGS: 5
GT: 6
NC: 7

gee, thats horrendous. For rugby schools like that to only be fielding that many teams.

Even Sydney Grammar and High can field around 3-4 teams, and they're considered really weak. They play in the 3rds comp.
The lowest the in the 1st XV comp is Newington and they have around 6.

Every other school has atleast 8, Joeys go down to the 12ths.

This is really worrying. Does soccer have more playing numbers? Are there more in lower year groups? maybe sport isnt compulsory in later years?

A

Aussie Luke

They play soccer in a different term to rugby and I think it is at least as popular as rugby in the GPS schools now. The First XV games keep getting bigger and better in terms of crowd size and general interest and standard, but there is definitely a large gap between the participation in one half of the GPS compared to the other half.

R

RuggerFan1

They play soccer in a different term to rugby and I think it is at least as popular as rugby in the GPS schools now. The First XV games keep getting bigger and better in terms of crowd size and general interest and standard, but there is definitely a large gap between the participation in one half of the GPS compared to the other half.

what the hell is everybody playing then? I am perplexed. Surely without Soccer there would be more footy teams, right?

Yes that is the good thing, I the attendances up north are very good. Better than most schools down here.

Who does Nudgee play if they have so much more teams than everyone else? Like when they play Ipswich where do the 3rds downward go?

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
what the hell is everybody playing then? I am perplexed. Surely without Soccer there would be more footy teams, right?

Yes that is the good thing, I the attendances up north are very good. Better than most schools down here.

Who does Nudgee play if they have so much more teams than everyone else? Like when they play Ipswich where do the 3rds downward go?

pretty sure there are more soccer teams across the board in QLD GPS than rugby. however the standard of soccer after the age 'a' team is a huge drop. a hell of a lot of kick n giggle. the standard of soccer is nowhere near the standard of rugby. more of a participation sport, and very few, if any soccer players will play the rugby season.

A

Aussie Luke

They play other schools who are looking for games which could be other GPS teams who might be playing State High or Grammar that week for instance or non-GPS teams who are looking for a game. A lot of kids don't play sport at all as they prefer to do online gaming etc. It's a worry and much broader than rugby.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Basketball is the same time as Rugby and it has growing numbers playing. Opens teams went down to 4ths last year and most schools fielded 3 or 4 teams in each age group.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Basketball is the same time as Rugby and it has growing numbers playing. Opens teams went down to 4ths last year and most schools fielded 3 or 4 teams in each age group.

GT had a bad year for injuries last year so had a lot players get game time - they have 13 back who got game time last year 11 who started at least one game and 7 or 8 who would have been in the top 15.