• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is no one allowed to voice an opinion if they don't agree with you?

No you are right. RA is doing a sterling job. Rugby in Australia has never been stronger. crowds are up, participation is up, the best schoolboy players are staying in the game and either Foxtel or Optus are going to pay well over the odds to secure broadcasting rights.

You might think that the game is in great shape and that castle is the saviour but probably the silent majority disagree.

If you don’t wish to be widely mocked, try formulating a convincing supporting argument for said opinion.........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

No you are right. RA is doing a sterling job. Rugby in Australia has never been stronger. crowds are up, participation is up, the best schoolboy players are staying in the game and either Foxtel or Optus are going to pay well over the odds to secure broadcasting rights.

You might think that the game is in great shape and that castle is the saviour but probably the silent majority disagree.

Sure, voice an opinion, but try actually using something to support it.
Referring to someone as "Einstein" in a pejorative way, but spelling it Einstien is not a promising start (unless it was Jedi-master irony). Then proceeding with a grab-bag of things that have happened, many of which had nothing to do with the person you think is at fault for them all, as your reasoning, doesn't do much for your case. Repeating the bolded bit ad nauseam isn't an argument, rather a strawman, and you have not forwarded anything sensible. Merge the Brumbies and Rebels? Was never going to happen, nor work. Andrew Forrest's magical fortune? Came with more riders than the Melbourne Cup.
Finally, the old "silent majority probably agree with me" chestnut. 'Nuff said.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

You are allowed to express an opinion. And we are allowed to mock your opinion.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
The briefest of glances over this forum would show that no one thinks Australian rugby is in great shape. We know it’s struggling massively. But in her short tenure, it certainly looks like Castle is trying to shake things up and enact change for the better. Junior pathways, U20 results, Wallabies coaching team, aligning with grassroots, renegotiating with broadcasters. She’s got a hell of a job shaking up the status quo and so far I think she’s done well. The broadcast deal and future of Super rugby is the real test however.

J

JeepsTragic

Sure, voice an opinion, but try actually using something to support it.

Referring to someone as "Einstein" in a pejorative way, but spelling it Einstien is not a promising start (unless it was Jedi-master irony). Then proceeding with a grab-bag of things that have happened, many of which had nothing to do with the person you think is at fault for them all, as your reasoning, doesn't do much for your case. Repeating the bolded bit ad nauseam isn't an argument, rather a strawman, and you have not forwarded anything sensible. Merge the Brumbies and Rebels? Was never going to happen, nor work. Andrew Forrest's magical fortune? Came with more riders than the Melbourne Cup.

Sorry pal some of us work for a living and just get what they have to say down as quick as possible. Somebody referred to me as an idiot so I was responding or is that OK because you agree. Tell you what if all you clowns here defending Castle are representative of the next generation of rugby people then there is nothing we can do to save it.
Do you think there would be more supporter base in Perth or Melbourne? Where can the game grow - Perth or Melbourne? Would Forrests money help or hinder?
If we keep doing what we are doing we will end up where we are heading.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
You want something different to be done - Castle is doing something different. She’s exploring new broadcast deals, new markets, new grassroots alignments. She’s clearly trying to break RA out of the mire.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry pal some of us work for a living and just get what they have to say down as quick as possible. Somebody referred to me as an idiot so I was responding or is that OK because you agree. Tell you what if all you clowns here defending Castle are representative of the next generation of rugby people then there is nothing we can do to save it.
Do you think there would be more supporter base in Perth or Melbourne? Where can the game grow - Perth or Melbourne? Would Forrests money help or hinder?

Someone really needs to get rid of these Russian trollbots.........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
But you are an idiot. You want something different to be done - Castle is doing something different. She’s exploring new broadcast deals, new markets, new grassroots alignments. She’s clearly trying to break RA out of the mire.

But.........she's a woman. We all know women are too feeble minded to get 'real' things done.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Did you read anything in the reply I gave you. The current administration has demonstrated the polar opposite to what the previous administrators have done. Hell, the current TV deal has been open to tender for the first time ever.

Again I'll ask, outside of Folau, what has Castle and her administration done wrong that you would have done differently. You seem to be caught up in the wrong doing's of the previous CEO's and Chairmen.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Congrats on having a job. Most of the rest of us do as well, but don't want a prize for it. But your prize is a bag of punctuation marks, use them wisely.
Still making not one jot of sense, or any actual point, however.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Raelene Castle does have a track record of mistakes:
Not sacking Cheika.
Bringing in a confusing layer of coaching management above Cheika.
Not supporting the freedom of speech of Australia's best player.
Sacking Australia's best player.
Allowing one sponsor to dictate the culture of rugby in Australia.
Turning the playing group on each other and management.
Going over Cheika's head then arguing about it in public at the Tokyo embassy dinner.
Hiring a New Zealander (with a player misbehaviour cloud hanging over his head) as Wallaby coach.
Not promoting an Australian as head coach of the Wallabies.
Prior to RA, her tenure at the Bulldogs saw her cause major problems with back ended contracts and excessive payments.
I'd like to see proof that recent advances in junior pathways and results were her initiative before I give her any credit for those green sprouts in our game. I'm assuming those discussions were already well advanced when she became CEO.
Her supporters can't have two bob each way - she's only been there two years it's too soon to call judgement/she's achieved a lot in her time there.

I'd like to see her resign with dignity. Now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Raelene Castle does have a track record of mistakes:
Not sacking Cheika.
Bringing in a confusing layer of coaching management above Cheika.
Not supporting the freedom of speech of Australia's best player.
Sacking Australia's best player.
Allowing one sponsor to dictate the culture of rugby in Australia.
Turning the playing group on each other and management.
Going over Cheika's head then arguing about it in public at the Tokyo embassy dinner.
Hiring a New Zealander (with a player misbehaviour cloud hanging over his head) as Wallaby coach.
Not promoting an Australian as head coach of the Wallabies.
Prior to RA, her tenure at the Bulldogs saw her cause major problems with back ended contracts and excessive payments.
I'd like to see proof that recent advances in junior pathways and results were her initiative before I give her any credit for those green sprouts in our game. I'm assuming those discussions were already well advanced when she became CEO.
Her supporters can't have two bob each way - she's only been there two years it's too soon to call judgement/she's achieved a lot in her time there.

I'd like to see her resign with dignity. Now.

None of that is really worth going over again, so all I’ll say is......... LOL.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We don't have to go through all this again. Maybe we hold discussion on Castle's performance as CEO until after the TV deal is finalised. I think all the points have been raised on both sides of the debate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep I am one of those people who doesn't get the 'silent majority' thing.
If they actually silent we don't know what they think.
Usually the so called 'silent majority' are people who tend to complain about things (and not in a silent way), not actually have any workable alternatives, and can just still be the 'silent majority' when someone does what they were spouting about and it doesn't work.
I actually thought the expression went out on the 80s when people saw what a silly saying it was!