• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
They are not in any way, shape or form interested in the game.

It is merely a means to an end.

Hopefully there are a few cool heads at the table that understand this.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

You're right. They probably have little interest in anything other than making money. That means treating what should have always been a commercial entity as just that driving revenues then so be it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

With all due respect, do you know that to be absolutely true, have you met and had close-enough discussions with, eg, the relevant senior persons within CVC Capital dealing with their rugby investments?

Just because a party has a prime economic motivation does not in any way necessarily mean they have no substantive personal engagement with or enjoyment or wish higher things from the object of their economic motivations.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
If they have philanthropic intentions there is another route.

They have 1 goal: maximise carry.

The day these clowns start influencing scheduling, competition structures, rules etc it is all over red rover.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A Btw: If CVC execute as is rumoured and take a 14% stake in the 6N Comp for GBP300m, that values 100% of the comp at no less than GBP 2.14Bn (assuming that is all paid for existing shares, it's higher if it's for new shares and the money stays in), a good size number. Remember, the 6N runs a limited suite of matches (also we don't quite know if the 6N's autumn internationals are included or not in this).

Should - very rough calcs here - the complete SANZAAR set of Comps then derivatively be worth 50% of that (given far smaller potential media eyeballs nos reach but far higher no of matches plus some intangibles re Sth Hem's long dominance of the RWC etc), that's say GBP 1.07bn or c. $A2.11Bn.

Let's say RA's stake in SANZAAR is, to be cautious only 20% (given much lower eyeballs reach nos today for Aust rugby etc), that would impute an RA SANZAAR stake value as c. $A400m or so.

Even if we halve this again for SANZAAR valuation caution or RA % stake of SANZAAR caution etc, we still come to $A200m. They sell half of that RA stake to CVC C, a serious cash injection arises for RA to say the least (to be balanced of course with what % RA would receive of ongoing media $s pa post such an equity sale, a complex set of speculations would exist around that within SANZAAR if part sold).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To the above Q from Barb I would also add is this: CVC Capital is one tough business and financial operator, if they gained whole or even indirect capital-based influence over RA, things would never be the same there again, they would not tolerate what has been the historical managerial MO and operating style of RA.
Sounds fucking brilliant - frankly. But also somewhat dangerous.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder what price CVC would think was worth paying to buy SANZAR, to convince the competition to allow eligibility from anywhere (ie no Giteau rule). Then facilitate open slather on players from Aus, NZ and SA to play in the premiership while using Super Rugby as a loss leader feeder comp.

Then arrange an annual international world comp to make the big dollars from European timezone TV eyeballs in Europe friendly timezones which we are forced to play in due to lack of other options along with the best domestic comp in the world (full of our players)

I reckon there's a very big chance of very bad outcomes for us if we get involved with these spivs

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I wonder what price CVC would think was worth paying to buy SANZAR, to convince the competition to allow eligibility from anywhere (ie no Giteau rule). Then facilitate open slather on players from Aus, NZ and SA to play in the premiership while using Super Rugby as a loss leader feeder comp.

Then arrange an annual international world comp to make the big dollars from European timezone TV eyeballs in Europe friendly timezones which we are forced to play in due to lack of other options along with the best domestic comp in the world (full of our players)

I reckon there's a very big chance of very bad outcomes for us if we get involved with these spivs

We're pretty much heading that way at present. And it's only likely to get worse if the planned Japanese comes off at the scale they hope.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Doing a stright likje for like comparison I find it hard to reach any other conclusion than RA must go.

But yes, dangerous.

IMO, and as I have been saying here more or less since 2012, what we have had before in RA, NSWRU, QRU etc, and have in them now, is way more 'dangerous' in its obvious current trajectory than the prospect of somehow financially and commercially partnering with one of the world's most successful PE firms with an excellent record in building value in global sports codes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
A Btw: If CVC execute as is rumoured and take a 14% stake in the 6N Comp for GBP300m, that values 100% of the comp at no less than GBP 2.14Bn (assuming that is all paid for existing shares, it's higher if it's for new shares and the money stays in), a good size number. Remember, the 6N runs a limited suite of matches (also we don't quite know if the 6N's autumn internationals are included or not in this).

Should - very rough calcs here - the complete SANZAAR set of Comps then derivatively be worth 50% of that (given far smaller potential media eyeballs nos reach but far higher no of matches plus some intangibles re Sth Hem's long dominance of the RWC etc), that's say GBP 1.07bn or c. $A2.11Bn.

Let's say RA's stake in SANZAAR is, to be cautious only 20% (given much lower eyeballs reach nos today for Aust rugby etc), that would impute an RA SANZAAR stake value as c. $A400m or so.

Even if we halve this again for SANZAAR valuation caution or RA % stake of SANZAAR caution etc, we still come to $A200m. They sell half of that RA stake to CVC C, a serious cash injection arises for RA to say the least (to be balanced of course with what % RA would receive of ongoing media $s pa post such an equity sale, a complex set of speculations would exist around that within SANZAAR if part sold).
My understanding is that it doesn’t include the Autumn internationals. That space is run under world rugby authority. The 6 Nations and RC IP are owned by the member unions. These competitions administer themselves unlike Autumn and Spring internationals.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
So what are we talking about here? Is this potentially on the scale of a revolution? What's the best realistic outcome of all this?

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Can't World Rugby do the deals without CVC? Surely WR (World Rugby) has enough brains onboard to be able to pull off the deals without giving away any margin.

Or is it a cunning plan by WR (World Rugby) to take the dough then splinter off like a rival wrestling comp. So we'll have the Rugby World Series instead of the RWC.

If they bring back dancing girls, i'll watch both.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Let’s not forget that along with trousering a heap of cash with their tv rights deal the NZRU also gained a 5% stake in their chosen broadcaster. At the time I thought this a little strange but it makes far more sense now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can't World Rugby do the deals without CVC? Surely WR (World Rugby) has enough brains onboard to be able to pull off the deals without giving away any margin.

Or is it a cunning plan by WR (World Rugby) to take the dough then splinter off like a rival wrestling comp. So we'll have the Rugby World Series instead of the RWC.

If they bring back dancing girls, i'll watch both.
236e17a73d0ae54a7fa423ee156c3dd5.png

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Congrats on having a job. Most of the rest of us do as well, but don't want a prize for it. But your prize is a bag of punctuation marks, use them wisely.
Still making not one jot of sense, or any actual point, however.

so,mocking someone for their supposed lack of punctuation is ok ?Crickey,times have changed;back in the day,an old mate of mine,chiselhead,was banned from this august site,by saying "deadset" too often,deadset!loosen up a little folks,lol