• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Chiefs - Super Rugby R 6 2020, Friday 6 March @ 7.15pm @ Wollongong

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Harrison, Bell, Hooper and Ramm all had pretty good games, McDonald also looked alright in his few minutes.

But the tight five as a whole look pissweak.
Biggest offenders are the row, both looked completely ineffectual.

Bring Tafa straight in next week, can't do any worse.

Out of the whole pack, Bell Hooper and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) are worth there salt. You got a job which is hit a ruck clean out the guy, just do it. They are a few positions from being a good side though.

Chiefs second half came from just hard fucking work.. were i think a few tahs forwards need a look in the mirror..

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Couple of thoughts.
Although I thought the Chiefs were pretty average in first half, I tend to think a team has a good coach when the team improved
s that much after having a talk at oranges,

Nah. I don't think that reflects a good coach. If the team needs another rev up what's going on before the game that said good coach isn't doing.

I just think in general we've seen that the Cheifs are a slow burn this season, what was it something like 70% or more of their tries scored second half?. It's like it takes them awhile to suss out the opposition or maybe it reflects fitness.

Chiefs work rate was brilliant in second 40, player real well but a lot was on the back of bloody hard work(counter ruck etc) and great support play ,which is great workrate anyway.

They won the game at the breakdown and by playing heads up rugby. They have the right mix of mongrel, strength and skill.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Poor old Hooper. Tries his guts out every week.

I'm no fan of Cheika, but he would not have lost that game tonight. Taking fitness as one example, these guys were run off the park. Checks would've had them in better shape.

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very disappointing.

2 trys in 2 minutes by the 9 killed it for the Tahs.

How valuable is Simmons? They missed his leadership and workrate.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still having mixed feelings over Kurtley's last two involvements.
Anger and sadness at watching our captain and most talented back dropping the ball twice, leading to yet another Chiefs try.

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very pleased to see Angus Gardiner stamp out the in-from-the-side clean outs.
Although he did miss the last minute shove into Hooper's back. Unnecessary and unsportsmanlike.

Penalty count was crazy against the Tahs.

Saw 2 dominant Tah scrums and the penalty went to the Chiefs.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Very pleased to see Angus Gardiner stamp out the in-from-the-side clean outs.
Although he did miss the last minute shove into Hooper's back. Unnecessary and unsportsmanlike.

Some of the shenanigans around the ruck really need a clean up. Not coming through the gate, too many clean-outs going well beyond, flopping over and sealing off, a little too much shoulder rather than arms at times, the hands in the ruck slowing the ball and the whole holding on rubbish. The good teams are just repeatedly pushing so many aspects that the referee would have to blow the whistle all night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Chiefs were good in second half but more so tahs were absolutely woeful in second half as number of lost possession due to effective counter rucks by chiefs was a case of lack of skills by tahs

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Missed the first 15 minutes of this game,

Few things from my perspective,

Hooper had his least effective game in a Waratahs jersey in at least 3 years, if not ever. Those saying he played well need to watch the game again. Runs were poor, 14 runs for 14 meters according to ESPN. Didn't get into double figures for tackles, completely not like him. Did not stand up and lead the pack, to me he looked disinterested and could even be regretting that 5 year contract extension.

KB (Kurtley Beale), needs to call it a day, trys hard but there is nothing about his game to scare defenses anymore. His lost his speed and step that everyone feared.

Simmons, really missed.

Maddocks, was disappointed when he left Melbourne. But we really got the better end of the deal with Kellaways form and attitude.

Really liked James Ramm, good speed and hopefully for the tahs with a few more games he shows something special. Cause god knows they need it right now.

Newsome is not the answer at 13, well not outside Hunt anyway.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Maddocks, was disappointed when he left Melbourne. But we really got the better end of the deal with Kellaways form and attitude.

Maybe I'm off base, but Maddocks just hasn't looked happy for a while. He just seems a little joyless and it seems to reflect in some of his gameplay.

I remember how he was back when Will Genia was at the Rebels and they had this double act going on and he just seemed to be enjoying his Rugby.

I hope he can turn himself around as he has so many positive qualities. I really don't think we've seen the best of him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well the Tahs just looked so lazy.

How on earth Beale got the Captain's band is beyond me, he looked like the laziest one out there, slow to his feet after every tackle, no work off the ball in defence.

Say what you want about Hooper, I feel his leadership as Captain would have come in handy.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On this seasons form it is time to cut Beale from the wallaby match day 23.

As I agree Beale looks well past is due by date this season

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Positives: Harrison, Bell, Hooper all playing well. Some of the interplay/offloads between the team has been good. Scrum looked pretty good. LO generally functioning well.

Negatives: The forwards well outplayed. The work at the breakdown not good enough. So many counter rucks. So many times the cleanout failing with resulting turnovers. The defence in general not good enough. Too many soft tries. Just sloppy. Errors all over the place.

Tahs pourous defence this season to me in direct correlation with the loss of Steve Tandy as defence coach

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tribe are now +95 (120-25) in second half points & +69 overall. Currently top of table & will remain so unless 'canes beat Loss Bleus by 31+ tonight.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe I'm off base, but Maddocks just hasn't looked happy for a while. He just seems a little joyless and it seems to reflect in some of his gameplay.

I remember how he was back when Will Genia was at the Rebels and they had this double act going on and he just seemed to be enjoying his Rugby.

I hope he can turn himself around as he has so many positive qualities. I really don't think we've seen the best of him.

I'm pretty sure it was reported that he wanted to leave the Rebels so that he could get more game time at No 15. So far, hasn't got any at the Tahs. Looks like he's in the same sort of mind frame as he was recently at the Rebels.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's an old GAGR cliche, but the blame for the second half meltdown lies mainly with the forwards, not the outside backs.

For two supposed 'tough guys', I thought Dempsey and Swinton were completely MIA. As usual our second rowers just made up the numbers, and our reserve front row didn't cover themselves in glory either.

At least three times we were just pushed off the ball at the ruck, even though we had numbers there. That's just effort, nothing more. Tafa looked OK off the bench, give him a run. Brings more than Staniforth, surely.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I can't see how Moeroa isn't in the team next week. Watching the A game last week his was aggressive in attack and defence throughout the whole game adds something we need in spades