• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can’t believe no one is talking about trying to bring Nick Jooste back to Qld playing 12. He is a prodigious kick of the ball in general play and his goal kicking is second to none from anywhere in the opposition half. His running game improved hugely during his year in Brisbane club rugby in 2018.

Because he isn’t the answer - not even close to it...

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How far away from first grade is Carter Gordon? Should be first choice kicker at Wests this year.. it’s just too bad the Reds don’t have an ‘A’ team to be playing with the other aussie sides.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lucas will never be at 10 open mens level. He simply can not operate effectively in tight time and space. Apart from one good pass early in the first half the rest of his game was extraordinary in the extreme. He spent most of his time directlly behind the phase play pointing to others to do the work, rather than being the director and creator of attacking structure play. On nearly every occasion, Stewart or Paisami filled in at 10. Fortunately Thorn has been making noise about JOC (James O'Connor) only being out for a week. Once again lack of goal kicking capability crucified the team.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can’t believe no one is talking about trying to bring Nick Jooste back to Qld playing 12. He is a prodigious kick of the ball in general play and his goal kicking is second to none from anywhere in the opposition half. His running game improved hugely during his year in Brisbane club rugby in 2018.

I'm a parochial West Aussie and even I don't buy that. Jooste has some positive qualities, but I don't think he'd oust Stewart at 12.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jock is the Reds biggest liability in the backs. His running game does not make up for his poor kicking game or inability to control the ball. Hegarty or Lucas should be at 15.

Jock is currently my favourite Red. His organisation at the back is extraordinary and he hardly ever stops talking. He takes responsibility in defence and has a fabulous eye in attack and linking.

It is not a necessary 15 CV item to kick goals, his ability there is obvious and poor - so why is he selected to do it? The problem is not Jock's ability to kick goal, but the Reds goal kicking. The question here surely is about coaching of kicking skills.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds investment in coaching staff in the form of Dave Alred has been one of the positives i thought, for whatever reason it isn’t paying dividends. Maybe some players just aren’t designed to be goal kickers.

I rate Jock highly and i think he is quite crucial to the attack of the Reds backline, his decision making at 15 is far better then Hegarty IMO. Yet whilst they are scoring the tries, they aren’t converting the goals, surely someone in the 15 can kick besides Jock.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Maybe Jock is just very out of form with his goal kicking. I recall him being a gun in Premier Rugby. Perhaps the tutelage is counterproductive?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hegarty - Reds best goal kicker. Not first choice in any position.
JOC (James O'Connor) - Not able to kick through injury (I believe).
Daugunu - Not enough info, ex soccer international goal keeper so can kick.
Campbell - Only got the gig through default. Needs lots of practice.
Malolua- Only seen one kick. 0-1

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Maybe Jock is just very out of form with his goal kicking. I recall him being a gun in Premier Rugby. Perhaps the tutelage is counterproductive?

One of the biggest miss-interpreted quotes in sport is 'practice makes perfect' the original is actually 'perfect practice makes perfect'. But if Alred is rebuilding his technique there could be a patchy section while it gets better.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Malolua did alright kicking in Prems to, was a reliable 1st choice at Souths. Stewart was Reds 1st choice when he was playing at 10 two years ago. Seems to be enough options but going backwards. It's quite bizzare.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
We'll hopefully they can work out who is going to be there kicker moving forward and why the current training in that area isn't paying dividends. You chuck Harrison in last night and I suspect you'd win that game. What a positive impact that would have had on Qld Rugby and this team.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looked like Paisami might have picked up a minor injury. If he's out I assume CFS will move in one and either Daugunu or Hegarty (with Campbell shifting to wing) will come in. Hopefully either of them will be given the tee.

When he's back that'll probably mean CFS or speight drops to the bench, not sure which at the moment though, CFS has been more reliable but speight has offered more upside in attack.

B

Bobby Sands

McReight to 7 and Wright to 6, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the row, Wilson at 8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) on the bench. McReight is the 2nd coming of Pocock.

Been saying this for a long time. It’s very obvious isn’t it.

B

Bobby Sands

Purely because he pulls off miracle pilfers at will. I actually think he has a much more rounded game than Pocock did at his age.

Also agree, he’s a better “footy” player than David. Not necessarily a better player.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looked like Paisami might have picked up a minor injury. If he's out I assume CFS will move in one and either Daugunu or Hegarty (with Campbell shifting to wing) will come in. Hopefully either of them will be given the tee.

When he's back that'll probably mean CFS or speight drops to the bench, not sure which at the moment though, CFS has been more reliable but speight has offered more upside in attack.

CFS has been playing really well, and he is the only player in the backline with any real size to him, although Pasami plays beyond his size. I don think you can drop CFS given the way he has been playing, in terms of tackle busts, defenders beaten. Given the size of the backline, Paisami and CFS are crucial to straighten the attack and get them across the advantage line.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
CFS has been playing really well, and he is the only player in the backline with any real size to him, although Pasami plays beyond his size. I don think you can drop CFS given the way he has been playing, in terms of tackle busts, defenders beaten. Given the size of the backline, Paisami and CFS are crucial to straighten the attack and get them across the advantage line.
Daugunu moves in for Speight if he’s going to break the starting side but that’s no sure thing.