• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
A mate of a mate went to a coaching course about two weeks ago at which Penney spoke. The feedback was just as you stated - honest, straightforward, and open about his plans.

Was that the coaches forum they put on up in Newcastle?

I like his approach so far. Refreshing. Whitaker has spoken about how he likes Penney's philosophy around the game. I'm optimistic for the Tah's in the longrun.

Reactions: TSR

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
. I'm optimistic for the Tah's in the longrun.

As the economists say, in the long run we're all dead. But on a more optimistic note, I hope that Michael Icely is on the radar somewhere. He looked pretty handy last year for the Woodies, still a kid, maybe he has put on a bit of bulk in the off-season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There is lot of things wrong with the tahs which has been in steady decline since Cheika left. The real positives are with RA providing better pathways with revamped u18 and u20 comps and more direct investment there coaching and support along with other initiatives like fighting find to retain our young talent. The positive with penny is him then further investing in youth with bell and now harrison established starters. Even things like Waratahs A’s good to ensue game time for wider squad in absence of club rugby waiting to start.

Next step is to do further clean out of the roster..tahs will pretty soon be confirmed as out of finals race (mathmatically as otherwise we all know no chAnce of finals which was expected with rebuild season) and perhaps time to blood more players to see if they can step up. Players like Holloway, Beale, Newsome been very dissappointing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On the need for a clean out and new recruits for tahs for next season..

Another thread reminds me that all oz Sunwolves players are available next year.

Jake schatz and James dargaville would perhaps be worthy of consideration...any thoughts on any others?

Reactions: mst

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the need for a clean out and new recruits for tahs for next season..

Another thread reminds me that all oz Sunwolves players are available next year.

Jake schatz and James dargaville would perhaps be worthy of consideration.any thoughts on any others?
The QLD lock at the Sunwolves is probably the only one worth looking at.

I wonder what Caleb Timu is doing in France?

Also not sure if anyone keeps up with French rugby but Stade Francais is currently in the relegation zone. They have 4 Aussies that could be looking for a job if relegated. Hugh Pyle, Sefa Naivalu, Tala Gray and Tolu Latu

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
As the economists say, in the long run we're all dead.

The economists? I thought everyone said in the longrun we're dead :)

I hope that Michael Icely is on the radar somewhere. He looked pretty handy last year for the Woodies, still a kid, maybe he has put on a bit of bulk in the off-season.

He was in the NSW Country NRC team, so he is obviously on someones radar. Don't support the Woodies, so can't say I've seen all his games but of the ones I have he looked a handy prospect. I know he's one of those players many think is underated.

Jake schatz and James dargaville would perhaps be worthy of consideration.any thoughts on any others?

The QLD lock at the Sunwolves is probably the only one worth looking at.

I also commented after seeing the Brumbies v. Sunwolves game that aussie lad Michael Stolberg look pretty decent. Bringing someone like him in might be needed to give some of the younger lads time to develop. I worry for McCauley. He's improving, but I'm still not convinced he'll get there and Staniforth is just looking really flat atm. Im pretty sure he (Staniforth) got married recently, maybe thats having an impact :)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Also I really rate Dargaville. I think he was unlucky that Brumbies were already loaded with wingers and Andy-Muirhead is probably a little too similar. I think I'd probably have him in my squad ahead of Clark this season. Clark just seems a bit off his game. That said we do have a lot of young prospects and Ramm is looking pretty good so far.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just watched the Rebels-Lions game then and tried to take particular note of Philip. I thought he was tremendous. Tough and physical and has a massive engine on him too. Just kept getting up and making big efforts right to the end of the game. Also notable how vocal he is in his team communication. I really hope he gets a Wallabies look in this year.

Wrong thread, mate. According to the commentators, he is in negotiations with Pau. So if we want him, we will have to up the ante. I do agree, he is pretty impressive. Our second row stocks look pretty good to me.

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)
As the economists say, in the long run we're all dead. But on a more optimistic note, I hope that Michael Icely is on the radar somewhere. He looked pretty handy last year for the Woodies, still a kid, maybe he has put on a bit of bulk in the off-season.

What position and where did he come from?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Positives for the Tahs in 2020: Harrison, Bell, Hooper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Negatives: Everyone and everything else!
Someone talking about mathematical probabilities for the finals??? The overriding question is, can we avoid the wooden spoon?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Positives for the Tahs in 2020: Harrison, Bell, Hooper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Negatives: Everyone and everything else!
Someone talking about mathematical probabilities for the finals??? The overriding question is, can we avoid the wooden spoon?

You seen the Wolves play?