• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Wright misses out if Hooper is starting....

Samu is ideal on the bench because he's flexible across all 3 positions, is a strong ball runner, smart, skillful and can be used in the lineout as a 3rd/4th option despite his lack of height...

I'm not sure if I'd play both Wilson and Naisarani in the same backrow... I'd prefer one of them paired with Valetini to clear bodies and hulk smash players.

I don't think we can discount Dempsey either just yet.... it's got to be hard to shine in that Tahs team right now.

Regardless, that's going to be a tough decision to make.
Completely forgot about Samu. He’d be a given for the bench.

Valetini is quality as well, wouldn’t lose anything with him in the side. Turning into a quality player.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Saying 'he's not a six' over and over just doesn't cut it. He may not be your fav six or fit the mould of what you think a six should be but he can obviously play there. Well enough to be the Wallaby six in the last 12 months. he's in the mix for six whether you like it or not and his flexibility will get him picked inwallaby squads before other backrowers.

Having said that I'd pick him at lock too.

Best Lock on the ground v the Cru. That's his best position and where he should play for the Wallabies.

On Locks, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Philip and Neville all had very strong games. Neville is starting to come into contention, but still behind Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Blindside - Valetini/Wright

Open - Hooper, Samu

8 - Naisirani/Wilson

Does me, pick you backrow from that batch, depending on form/injury. Dempsey up there along with McCaffrey as arguables.

Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Phillip and whichever other lock really stands out over the next 2 months. Simmons to go collect a big paycheck in Japan.

Front row pretty sorted, hooker the only position that isn't clear atm. Fainga'a and Uelese look the best, Rangi to be the third hooker at this stage.

As a Uelese fan, I have to say he has done nothing this year to warrant selection at the Wallabies. Rangi is the preferred Hooker at the Rebels and is in far better form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would say, at this stage, that Wilson and Lolesio are the two bolters in line to be included in the squad.........

Reactions: TSR

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Just watched the Rebels-Lions game then and tried to take particular note of Philip. I thought he was tremendous. Tough and physical and has a massive engine on him too. Just kept getting up and making big efforts right to the end of the game. Also notable how vocal he is in his team communication. I really hope he gets a Wallabies look in this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What makes you say he's not ready?

He is in his first season of Soup. He might be ready for the squad, but I think it would be prudent to wait for a while before picking him in the XV. Which was my point. I picked three player for the starting backrow. Do you think he is ready, now, to start for the Wobbs? Who would he start in place of? Naisarani?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If he’s good enough then he’s old enough. As long as when/if he gets picked he’s the best player in the position that’s all that should matter.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He is in his first season of Soup. He might be ready for the squad, but I think it would be prudent to wait for a while before picking him in the XV. Which was my point. I picked three player for the starting backrow. Do you think he is ready, now, to start for the Wobbs? Who would he start in place of? Naisarani?

I think he's certainly ready to debut this year, it is his first season in Super but he's been dominant in nearly every game and was very close to best on ground against the closest thing you will get to a test side at provincial level. I also like that he's shelved some of the 50/50 offloads he would throw, a pretty good sign he's ready to adapt to higher levels of rugby.

Whether or not he can force his way into the side is another matter. Naisarani stays at 8, I thought he was outstanding for the Rebels last night. So if Wilson is going to make his way into the side it will be at 6. Valetini and Samu have been very good for the Brumbies this year and are pretty good contenders for the 6 jersey as well. Naisarani isn't the greatest of lineout jumpers so whoever is at 6 will have to be a pretty decent jumper.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just watched the Rebels-Lions game then and tried to take particular note of Philip. I thought he was tremendous. Tough and physical and has a massive engine on him too. Just kept getting up and making big efforts right to the end of the game. Also notable how vocal he is in his team communication. I really hope he gets a Wallabies look in this year.

I thought he should've been there last year, definitely above Coleman and Simmons in the pecking order on form........ but, RWC year, blah blah blah.........

He's apparently heading overseas at the end of the season, so that might count against him, but I think we're probably too short on developed locks right now.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Young guys often have trouble maintaining super form the whole way through. I won’t be surprised if he drops off a bit towards the back end of the season - but it might depend on if/when Thorn gives him a spell. Generally Thorn is happy to rotate guys - but gee it would be hard to leave him out in present form, and he is only getting better game by game.

If he stays in this form, or continues to improve he is absolutely in contention. His form is every bit as good as Samu & Naisarani. They have both been excellent IMO, but I don’t think Wilson’s form is inferior and I doubt Rennie will be overly concerned with incumbency. Wilson’s job is to smash the door down and demand inclusion and he is doing a pretty decent job of that.

There is always a degree of player movement & rotation through the international campaign too. So even if Wilson isn’t the first choice pick I won’t be surprised if he starts at some point.

Samu would be a very good bench cover, but I won’t be surprised if he plays 6 (or indeed if he wins the 8 jersey). He isn’t the biggest guy but plays above his weight and is also a line out option. Having said that, Wilson (or Valentine) could also cover the 6 role (and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will still be in the mix there too).

Nice to have some genuine options.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wilson's form is great but so is the form of the other backrow contenders mentioned. It won't surprise me if he has to wait another year or two to make a spot his own. Remember when George Smith came into his own, he still had to wait behind Brett Robinson at the Brumbies and Wilson at the Wallabies when he was arguably the best in his position. But he still went on to have a long and successful career in the national team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wilson's form is great but so is the form of the other backrow contenders mentioned. It won't surprise me if he has to wait another year or two to make a spot his own. Remember when George Smith came into his own, he still had to wait behind Brett Robinson at the Brumbies and Wilson at the Wallabies when he was arguably the best in his position. But he still went on to have a long and successful career in the national team.

Wilson probably more likely to get squad spot and maybe a game on end of year tour game (not the big ones).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not saying this is what will happen but I would be fairly excited by the following forward pack:

1. Slipper 2. FF (Folau Fainga'a) 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Phillip
6. Valetini 7. Hooper 8. Naisarani

16. Sio 17. Mafi 18. Tupou 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Wilson 21. Samu

6-2 split is a bit of a risk but i can't otherwise figure out what back-rower to leave out.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure Wilson will be a regular for the wallabies this year, but I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get a taste, either against fiji early on or on the EOYT. Too much upside in making sure these young guys know what it's like at the top and just how good they can be if the aim high and work hard.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All 3 (4 if you include Dempsey) no 8 options are all utilised as a 3rd/4th jumping option for each team, although none of them really dominant in that area though like Mowen or Higgers were..........

All of them strong ball carriers though............

Naisarani still the standout in that area IMO, as he continues to make good metres in both tight and wide channels...........

Samu really does play beyond his size, but his time at the 'saders probably has him as being the more skillful/smartest one in the group, and has the added flexibility to play all 3 backrow positions..........

Valetini doesn't jump despite being a bit unit, but his point of difference is his physicality, and none of the others possess that same brute force in defence, and he's quite efficient in clearing out players at the breakdown.

The fact that Wright can jump in the lineout makes him an attractive prospect, and would solve some of the dilemmas with combinations......... but I'd still have Hooper ahead of him on ability and form.

Anyways, it's a pretty exciting group of players......... and a good, tough selection headache to have.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Here's an idea, Matt Philip over Rodda. As I feel Rodda is big part of the Reds poor line-out.

Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as a lock pairing.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
When the season started Andrew Kellaway wasn't on my radar at all. But as it stands he's the form winger in the conference and putting forward a good case for selection.

100% he's there ahead or Koro, what a surprise. It's going to be hard for Rennie not to pick the super xv leading try scorer. (if he continues playing the way he does).

I'm putting my money on the two Rebel wingers starting.