• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
All 3 (4 if you include Dempsey) no 8 options are all utilised as a 3rd/4th jumping option for each team, although none of them really dominant in that area though like Mowen or Higgers were....

All of them strong ball carriers though....

Naisarani still the standout in that area IMO, as he continues to make good metres in both tight and wide channels.....

Samu really does play beyond his size, but his time at the 'saders probably has him as being the more skillful/smartest one in the group, and has the added flexibility to play all 3 backrow positions....

Valetini doesn't jump despite being a bit unit, but his point of difference is his physicality, and none of the others possess that same brute force in defence, and he's quite efficient in clearing out players at the breakdown.

The fact that Wright can jump in the lineout makes him an attractive prospect, and would solve some of the dilemmas with combinations... but I'd still have Hooper ahead of him on ability and form.

Anyways, it's a pretty exciting group of players... and a good, tough selection headache to have.

Samu also jumps in the line-out. Wright is way down the pecking order for me at 7. Both Hooper and Samu easily in front of him.
Then at 6, I'd take Valentini, Wilson, or even LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) before Wright. He a solid player but doesn't really have any point of difference yet.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regards to locks - even if Phillips does sign overseas, I’d include him in the squad.

We have a bunch of talented young locks coming through, but I think most/all of them are still settling in senior rugby. None of the likes of Hockings, Blyth, Swain & Frost have so far been able to demonstrate the form to suggest they are ready for test football.

Plus, at the end of the day Rennie needs to pick the best possible team and get some wins. If Phillips is considered one of our best 3/4 locks we need to include him.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I’d still be starting Rodda. I really like the idea of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) coming on as the bench lock and creating a bit of mayhem.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Not saying this is what will happen but I would be fairly excited by the following forward pack:

1. Slipper 2. FF (Folau Fainga'a) 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Phillip
6. Valetini 7. Hooper 8. Naisarani

16. Sio 17. Mafi 18. Tupou 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Wilson 21. Samu

6-2 split is a bit of a risk but i can't otherwise figure out what back-rower to leave out.

This is the exact lineup I’d go with. If we have a 5-3 split I’d drop Wilson out however. Very exciting!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds line-out has been poor all season.
Fair enough - but Rodda has only played half those games and I’d suggest if he was a key culprit it should have improved in his absence but it actually performed the worst it has all year.

He needs to work hard to be part of the solution, but your comment was that he was a big part of the Reds poor lineout doesn’t really make sense in the context of Rodda’s involvement this year.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All 3 (4 if you include Dempsey) no 8 options are all utilised as a 3rd/4th jumping option for each team, although none of them really dominant in that area though like Mowen or Higgers were....

All of them strong ball carriers though....

Naisarani still the standout in that area IMO, as he continues to make good metres in both tight and wide channels.....

Samu really does play beyond his size, but his time at the 'saders probably has him as being the more skillful/smartest one in the group, and has the added flexibility to play all 3 backrow positions....

Valetini doesn't jump despite being a bit unit, but his point of difference is his physicality, and none of the others possess that same brute force in defence, and he's quite efficient in clearing out players at the breakdown.

The fact that Wright can jump in the lineout makes him an attractive prospect, and would solve some of the dilemmas with combinations... but I'd still have Hooper ahead of him on ability and form.

Anyways, it's a pretty exciting group of players... and a good, tough selection headache to have.

This is a point well deserving of discussion. Not arguing that Michael Hooper isn't the better No 7, but a backrow containg Hooper requires one of the Nos 6 or 8 being the third string lineout jumper. That constrains the selections in thos positions.

If Wright were to start at 7, then a combination of Valetini at 6 and Naisarani at 8 looks extremely exciting.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This is a point well deserving of discussion. Not arguing that Michael Hooper isn't the better No 7, but a backrow containg Hooper requires one of the Nos 6 or 8 being the third string lineout jumper. That constrains the selections in thos positions.

If Wright were to start at 7, then a combination of Valetini at 6 and Naisarani at 8 looks extremely exciting.

Wright has only been solid for me this year, I'd have Samu at 7 before him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Just because he jumps in the line-out doesn't make him a suitable test level line-out option.

Michael Hooper also jumps in the line-out.

Samu jumps in the line-out often too. I'd argue Samu and Wright are at the same level of line-out jumpers. Both better then Hooper but both behind any of the locks.

Not sure how good Naisa is but I know he's an option too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Naisarani finally seems to be getting utilised by the Rebels in the lineout this year, and I think has already well surpassed his total number of lineout wins from last year............

From memory he jumped frequently and quite well for both the Force and the Brumbies, but only took something like a total of 3 lineouts last year at the Rebels.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wilson's form is great but so is the form of the other backrow contenders mentioned. It won't surprise me if he has to wait another year or two to make a spot his own. Remember when George Smith came into his own, he still had to wait behind Brett Robinson at the Brumbies and Wilson at the Wallabies when he was arguably the best in his position. But he still went on to have a long and successful career in the national team.

you mean when he made his debut for the Brumbies in 2000 and then made his Wallaby debut the same year and then was MOM in his test debut and starred v the Lions the next year? At 19?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
he certainly went missing v the Crusaders.

Obviously referring to the Reds season as a whole. Line-out has been poor all season and he's the line-out caller, so if he isn't performing better around the park then Philip or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), then he shouldn't be first choice.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Obviously referring to the Reds season as a whole. Line-out has been poor all season and he's the line-out caller, so if he isn't performing better around the park then Philip or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), then he shouldn't be first choice.
Who’s calling the lineout out of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip if those two start? LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasn’t spent that much time at lock in the test arena and Philip has played one test. I have faith that in the Wallaby systems Rodda will run a decent lineout. If there was one pleasing aspect about the Wallabies last year it was the setpiece.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Who’s calling the lineout out of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip if those two start? LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasn’t spent that much time at lock in the test arena and Philip has played one test. I have faith that in the Wallaby systems Rodda will run a decent lineout. If there was one pleasing aspect about the Wallabies last year it was the setpiece.

This is my point exactly, Rodda's point of difference is his line-out calling and set-piece abilities....... but if he's not performing in those areas then you might as well go with a new line-out caller.

Otherwise you're better off with Simmons ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
????? You’re under selling Rodda’s general play.

Yes. Plus, lineouts are the call, the set-up, the throw, the lift, the take. If it isn't working, it's down to several factors, not just one. No reason he wouldn't fit into, and help run, a very good Wallabies lineout, as he has done previously.

Reactions: TSR