• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I think we are going to bring through the next tier. If we rely on OS players the next generation will not be ready come 2023.
Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Phillip is a good place to start. We also have Simmons and the the young guns, who are pretty handy.

Philip is the oldest of that bunch and is only 26. They could potentially be the locking combo through to the next RWC.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Based on form, the pecking order would have to be Fainga'a, Rangi and then Mafi. Uselese has always shown potenial but seems to be a walking injury.

i know McInerney only has limited game time, but his game against the Chief's was superb, personally I think one of the best games from an Aus Hooker so far this season. So if you're talking form he would probably be up there. Although definitely need to see a larger sample size from him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not convinced any of those guys are going to be 100+ test Wallabies. I'd just be picking who you think are the best three for each series (which will include at least two of them).

Brandon Paenga-Amosa is probably a good example here. He's still only 24 but he's pretty unlikely to make the squad in July unless there are injuries (and barely has since being the starting hooker for the Wallabies). I don't think there's much of a case not selecting who you think are the best players here and now except where someone is really young and obviously a future superstar.

That's what we said about Simmons... :(

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm not convinced any of those guys are going to be 100+ test Wallabies. I'd just be picking who you think are the best three for each series (which will include at least two of them).

Brandon Paenga-Amosa is probably a good example here. He's still only 24 but he's pretty unlikely to make the squad in July unless there are injuries (and barely has since being the starting hooker for the Wallabies). I don't think there's much of a case not selecting who you think are the best players here and now except where someone is really young and obviously a future superstar.
I would rather things be kept simple - pick the form player - whether 32 or 24...hence would be disappointed if Rangi not selected this season because he is 32 and yet playing his best footy

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I would rather things be kept simple - pick the form player - whether 32 or 24.hence would be disappointed if Rangi not selected this season because he is 32 and yet playing his best footy
That's fair enough but an eue must be kept on the future. Rangi won't be here for the next world cup and we must have players hardened from test rugby ready to play.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's fair enough but an eue must be kept on the future. Rangi won't be here for the next world cup and we must have players hardened from test rugby ready to play.

So let the players who are next in line (on form but younger) play against tier 2 nations/Argentina/Fiji etc but lets play our best team on form against the AB's and SA...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Be better if he took the jersey and those players below knew what they had to do to earn the jersey. Players shouldnt get in on some hypothetical potential.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am a Rangi fan for the consistency of performance he has brought and personally believe deserves to be rewarded to support Rennies message of picking players on form - sure pick younger players with potential as part of wide squad - eg would pick bell as development player but not expecting him to play any games against big teams.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We still have a ways to go before any squad is picked. There is a lot of time for fluctuations in form and injuries to play a part in the first squad chosen. Hopefully the latter will not play a major part. At this stage there are decent options across the board. Hopefully there will be even more come the test season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's what we said about Simmons. :(

To put it in perspective, he'd played 23 tests before his 24th birthday.

Let's say that Alex Mafi is considered the fourth choice option and is behind someone who is significantly older. I see no point whatsoever in prioritising his selection on he basis that it is planning for the future because he's only 23 years old.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We still have a ways to go before any squad is picked. There is a lot of time for fluctuations in form and injuries to play a part in the first squad chosen. Hopefully the latter will not play a major part. At this stage there are decent options across the board. Hopefully there will be even more come the test season.

nup, the selectors are getting together weekly and picking a test team and an A team. So if they are doing it, then we can too!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Of course. That’s half of the fun. My point was that theirs, and most likely ours, will change over time.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Some positions are a lot more open to picking on potential than others. Imo, the role the hooker plays in the setpiece is too critical to the success of the rest of the team to sacrifice performance for potential on. I'd rather have a 30 something year old there who will make his throws and hold together the scrum than the young buck who can score a try from 30m out but is still learning his trade on the setpiece. This is in contrast to, say, an outside back where I'd be much more willing to pick the young guy who can create something from nothing than the more experienced guy who might be more well-rounded but less dynamic.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
1. Slipper
2. Faaingaa
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Koro
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Tevita
14. Banks
15. DHP

16. Mafi
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Philip (Simmons)
20. Samu
21. Powell (McDermott)
22. Simone (Stewart)
23. Wright (Kellaway/Maddocks)

(-) indicating equally capable alternate bench.

Valetini and Samu can swap depending on what the coaching staff want from the backrow. Wilson I would bring into the game day squad for a couple games however he is young and will have just played his debut season, likely starting every game, his body will need a break. Simmons could start if the set piece needs boosting.

How many chances has Banks had to show what he offers on the wing? Particularly at the end of a decent backline with a decent defensive pattern. I've seen him dominate there at club level(not test level I know but his positioning etc wasn't an issue). I think he is considerably more suited to the wing than DHP, his gas alone would have seen the Wobs finish off some good work on the edges in tests/rwc last year instead of the winger barely getting over the ad line. Give him some games there and let him settle in, no reason he cannot be a Ben Smith type player covering wing and 15. The only other guys currently performing there are Wright and Kellaway. Kellaway is reminding me of a young Drew Mitchell, his running style, speed/acceleration and elusive running are very similar to Drew when he was young. I think Wright is a really exciting prospect. Speight has proven this year that his defensive reading is a huge issue.

I would have a spattering of young guys who are performing very well at super in the squad/extended squad. Then give them game time as appropriate to introduce them to the level. Guys like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Uelese, Hockings/Blyth, Wilson, Wright, Harrison/Lolesio, Stewart/Simone, Paisami, Campbell.

I personally think Stewart could develop into a very very good test level 12.

I would give Petaia the season off the build his body and get everything right. I said that last year, don't think he should have gone to a rwc we were never going to win. Instead an extra 4 months in rehab and development would have done a world of good.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
^If you have both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua in your team, surely you don't need to carry a Harrison or Lolesio, who have only had 5 solid to good Super games in their career?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, if JOC (James O'Connor) and a To'omua start then maybe there is good reason to include Hodge on the bench to adequately cover 12-15, and he has that big cannon boot and can kick goals. We forget but he is also still pretty young.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
^If you have both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua in your team, surely you don't need to carry a Harrison or Lolesio, who have only had 5 solid to good Super games in their career?

I am happy to have one on the bench for lesser games for exposure if they continue to perform at super level. Thought I explained that in the later paragraphs. Maybe it is a bit unclear I might edit it

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think having Lolesio on the bench is a good shout if To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) are both starting.........

He’s the form 10 so far, can play 12, and either way will be partnered with an experienced player.

Give him minimal minutes to start with and slowly introduce him earlier with each match.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To put it in perspective, he'd played 23 tests before his 24th birthday.

Let's say that Alex Mafi is considered the fourth choice option and is behind someone who is significantly older. I see no point whatsoever in prioritising his selection on he basis that it is planning for the future because he's only 23 years old.

I agree with you. Just wanted to take a chance at having a cheeky dig at Simmons.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think having Lolesio on the bench is a good shout if To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) are both starting...

He’s the form 10 so far, can play 12, and either way will be partnered with an experienced player.

Give him minimal minutes to start with and slowly introduce him earlier with each match.

I'd love to see him given a start against a 'tier 2' team. He looks the goods and i think we would be better off with Lolesio at 10 than either of JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua if he's up to it.