• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Will be interesting to see whether all the players continue getting paid at the same rate if no games are taking place.

This is going to be economically disastrous in general. Resist the urge to log in and look at your super balance!

The point re players’ salaries is indeed interesting.

Any reduction to such could I would imagine only legally be done voluntarily by the players as cancelled games not attributable to them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The point re players’ salaries is indeed interesting.

Any reduction to such could I would imagine only legally be done voluntarily by the players as cancelled games not attributable to them.

It might depend on whether there is some sort of disaster clause in their contracts.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
In Coronavirus-related news, the Australian Chief Medical Officer has used COAG to call for all Australian leaders to cancel or postpone mass gatherings of more than 500 people. Could have serious implications for Super Rugby.

It's great news for Brumbies fans, whose home games should be unaffected.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would imagine that is what they're hoping for at the moment but my guess is that it will soon be shut down. A competition with so much travel is pretty hard to continue in this situation. It's only a matter of time before a team member somewhere contracts COVID-19 and a whole team needs isolation.

Prescient. I trust that someone at RA is considering the meaning of " advise against non essential international travel". Travel for work was clarified as being considered essential, and the franchises are actually doing their job. But there sure is room for interpretation.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Raelene C must have walked in front of a lot of black cats passing by. All this happening slap bang in the middle of her media rights negotiations.

Probably not a good time to be Fox Sports/Kayo. If every sport is canned, why should anyone pay for their subscription?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Prescient. I trust that someone at RA is considering the meaning of " advise against non essential international travel". Travel for work was clarified as being considered essential, and the franchises are actually doing their job. But there sure is room for interpretation.

dru, you can bet SANZAAR will be anxiously checking everyone of its insurance policies and media rights contracts in these eventualities.

If these bans on crowds and/or matches go on right into the winter Test season, the financial impacts on any thinly capitalised national RU (eg esp RA and SARU) will be major and very serious - unless they have robust insurances with the right fine print to cover.

Reactions: dru
S

Show-n-go

On the plus side, imagine the wonders the extra conditioning could do for our players if super rugby was canned

Status
Not open for further replies.