• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Hugh Roach is on the bench for the Crusaders against the Sunwolves in Brisbane.

Yeah I heard he was called in. Was mean't to be heading off to London Irish last I heard about him. Quick google brought this up which summarises things;

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...ebels-hooker-hugh-roach-rushed-into-crusaders

Going to be odd seeing him in Red and I'll be curious to see if yet another NZ team can get more out of a player than our AU teams seemed able too.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not that the Waratahs have great crowds to start with but with no gate takings you would think they will be close to insolvent and even when the ban is lifted with the virus they will still be wandering nomads with no new stadium probably till 2022 at best.

Directors and Roger Davis need to be careful they don’t trade insolvent.

I'd wonder if there are is any form of insurance against such an event? I know some of the larger 6 Nation events are insured.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I actually wondered if they would make more if the games were insured then they would have from gate takings?

I doubt they would have gone over the top in insurance - but I’d also expect they’d have something in place.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah I heard he was called in. Was mean't to be heading off to London Irish last I heard about him. Quick google brought this up which summarises things;

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...ebels-hooker-hugh-roach-rushed-into-crusaders

Going to be odd seeing him in Red and I'll be curious to see if yet another NZ team can get more out of a player than our AU teams seemed able too.

who are the other examples? Jack Debrezceni? Sef Faagase? Digby Ioane? Chris Kuridrani? Mike Ala'alatoa?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tyrel Lomax? BTW, Hugh Roach is a good club footballer, but is just too small for the big time. I doubt that either the Crusaders or London Irish can do much about that.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Lomax was pretty young when he left so I’m not sure he hasn’t just improved with age. Angus Ta’avao is the real standout for me, he was horrible for the Tahs but has AB caps now.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
who are the other examples? Jack Debrezceni? Sef Faagase? Digby Ioane? Chris Kuridrani? Mike Ala'alatoa?

Angus Ta'avao as Up The Guts mention is definitely one that comes to mind (and who I was thinking of), but some of the others you listed also. Debrezceni definitely improved over his stint at the Rebels. Nadolo arguable only came into his own at the Crusaders. Mike looked dramatically better than when at the Tahs.

B

Bobby Sands

Who was that bloke in here who didn’t rate Curwin Bosch again?

That hasn’t aged well.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
End of the season surely a mercy killing for the Tahs

Not really. The players need more game time (especially the young lads) and Penney needs more time to tinker for next year so he can start to work out who is in and out.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Angus Ta'avao as Up The Guts mention is definitely one that comes to mind (and who I was thinking of), but some of the others you listed also. Debrezceni definitely improved over his stint at the Rebels. Nadolo arguable only came into his own at the Crusaders. Mike looked dramatically better than when at the Tahs.

Couple of points but some players just develop and mature with age and in different situations. I would say that Mitre 10 Cup opportunity has more to do with it than anything else
- Ta'avao played 50 odd games for the Blues before coming to the Tahs and if the Chiefs hadn't had six frontrow injuries in 2018 Ta'avao wouldn't have been called in.
- Debrezceni currently no super rugby contract
- Nadolo also played in England, France and Japan before the Crusaders.
- Ala'alatoa moved to NZ at 23 to play Mitre 10. Looking for a level above NRC. Most props develop a little later.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Isnt M 5As All Black eligible and in a position where the Wallabies actually have depth. Hes certainly not as good as his brother and Tupou has years left at the top.

Stay home and get the odd squad spot or move and have a crack at the All Blacks?