• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Well, be that as it may, nonetheless this is a rugby site and it’s perfectly sensible and logical that some of us here are commenting on what the latest COVID-19 status in Aust might mean for this particular code’s immediate viability and economic fate going forward.

Doesn’t for one moment mean we don’t care about the holistic, global situation; it’s just that there are many other other good and sensible places to be thinking and commenting about that as well.

Moreover, there are huge numbers of people and businesses of all shapes and sizes employed directly or indirectly within Australian sports as a whole. As we consider the fate of rugby it’s also worth considering employment impacts within and around rugby as a whole.

I'm more concerned about where my own finances and source of employment might be in the immediate future. Worry about controlling what I and my family have a stake in the scheme of the pandemic. But go ahead, piss into the wind and blame Raelene if that's what gets you through.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah never mind any other sporting code in this Country that also derives income from broadcast and attendance. What a knob.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm more concerned about where my own finances and source of employment might be in the immediate future. Worry about controlling what I and my family have a stake in the scheme of the pandemic. But go ahead, piss into the wind and blame Raelene if that's what gets you through.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs theorised that lower order motivations (like finances and source of employment) can exist at the same time as the need for esteem (brought by sport).
Individuals can worry about jobs and rugby simultaneously.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Needs to get a grip, if the NBA and premier league and shut down, then so can the fucken nrl

FWIW, my read of his statement is: 'Here is the first none-too-subtle salvo in my NRL's soon-to-come request for Govt bail-out, assistance, loan, whatever, to save the NRL from financial disaster'.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
FWIW, my read of his statement is: 'Here is the first none-too-subtle salvo in my NRL's soon-to-come request for Govt bail-out, assistance, loan, whatever, to save the NRL from financial disaster'.

100% that’s what the aim is, however I think it’s an incredibly tone deaf comment and he needs to realise he is playing politics with statements like that, there’s going to be plenty of industries who struggle in the aftermath of this coronavirus, and I don’t think athletes on a minimum wage of $105k are going to win too much empathy if they start banging on about how they’re a part of the social fabric of Australia and need rescuing.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Maslow's hierarchy of needs theorised that lower order motivations (like finances and source of employment) can exist at the same time as the need for esteem (brought by sport).
Individuals can worry about jobs and rugby simultaneously.

Worry away. But there's no rugby in the world for the foreseeable future, nor cricket, soccer etc etc. What is there to worry about? Might as well worry about phantoms at the moment.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
100% that’s what the aim is, however I think it’s an incredibly tone deaf comment and he needs to realise he is playing politics with statements like that, there’s going to be plenty of industries who struggle in the aftermath of this coronavirus, and I don’t think athletes on a minimum wage of $105k are going to win too much empathy if they start banging on about how they’re a part of the social fabric of Australia and need rescuing.

All good and sensible points A84. But of course this IMO is a somewhat idealised view of government's likely purity of policy decision-making. The NRL has deep and influential tentacles in State and Federal Govt, the mainstream media, and so on, it will leverage them relentlessly when and if in self-preservation mode.

Whether we like that or not is an entirely different matter.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What we can assume is that the NZ isolation protocols effectively rule out the China Lions from competing unless Forrest is prepared to take the hit and accommodate them somewhere here. All the while playing games in empty stadiums. I would hope both groups would be able to at least prviately achnowledge that there may be a need to work out their differences in order to achieve some kind of resolution that will satisfy both when things are at a point where we see normal ops begin to emerge. For us that could be either a 6 team NRC featuring all of our teams plus Fiji or even our Super Rugby franchises playing in a straight round robin with the GRR teams later in the year leading into the November window assuming that happens. Oddly enough, we are probably the only major football code able to do just this.

Forget fiji as we have same travel restrictions as NZ....it is only likely a domestic comp but as adam highlighted probably even domestic comp unrealistic to us dreamers...but if could have some rugby played behind closed doors that would be good given players being paid otherwise to just train.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There's actually two Canadian groups one a University (U of Saskatchewan) and another company based in Ottawa City claiming to have vaccines ready for trials now.

Haven't heard that WCR, but have heard courtesy of BBC overnight that the Ebola anti-virus apparently is showing some promise in lab tests. Coronavirus not at all related to Ebola virus but that antivirus might act on both to an extent.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Forget fiji as we have same travel restrictions as NZ..it is only likely a domestic comp but as adam highlighted probably even domestic comp unrealistic to us dreamers.but if could have some rugby played behind closed doors that would be good given players being paid otherwise to just train.

But the NZ restrictions don't apply to Pacific Islands. Do the Aus ones?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Haven't heard that WCR, but have heard courtesy of BBC overnight that the Ebola anti-virus apparently is showing some promise in lab tests. Coronavirus not at all related to Ebola virus but that antivirus might act on both to an extent.

Apparently the Dutch have identified an anti-body that is showing real promise as well. Not a vaccine but they are from everything I've read far quicker to implement. There's also been some good results with hydroxycoloquine (I think that's the one) when used in South Korea and Japan.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's the sort of information that I think most of us would welcome from the Govt. Not saying we should suddenly turn optimistic about the whole thing, but atm the news just seems to get darker by the day.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Apparently the Dutch have identified an anti-body that is showing real promise as well. Not a vaccine but they are from everything I've read far quicker to implement. There's also been some good results with hydroxycoloquine (I think that's the one) when used in South Korea and Japan.

but can I still get a flight to there?

Status
Not open for further replies.