• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Apparently the Dutch have identified an anti-body that is showing real promise as well. Not a vaccine but they are from everything I've read far quicker to implement. There's also been some good results with hydroxycoloquine (I think that's the one) when used in South Korea and Japan.

Chloroquine, I believe. Anti-malarial. Blocks some effect of the virus binding to the iron component of red blood cells (heme) which then impairs their oxygen carrying capacity (as best as I can find out).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If there is an opportunity for domestic based games I’m thinking the following would be a good format considering the limited time frame that would be left.

Aus domestic - 8 games (Force, Rebels, Tahs, Reds, Brumbies)
NZ domestic - 8 games (Highlanders, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Blues)
SA domestic - 8 games (Cheetahs, Kings, Sharks, Stormers, Bulls, Lions) - 2 teams only play x1
Japan Domestic - 8 games (top 5 Top League sides)

Top 2 from each conference for playoffs.

If 8 games to much cut it down to a single round fixture (4 games)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Chloroquine, I believe. Anti-malarial. Blocks some effect of the virus binding to the iron component of red blood cells (heme) which then impairs their oxygen carrying capacity (as best as I can find out).

That's the one. But apparently there's a variant that 3x as effective that the Koreans and Japanese are using.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If there is an opportunity for domestic based games I’m thinking the following would be a good format considering the limited time frame that would be left.

Aus domestic - 8 games (Force, Rebels, Tahs, Reds, Brumbies)
NZ domestic - 8 games (Highlanders, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Blues)
SA domestic - 8 games (Cheetahs, Kings, Sharks, Stormers, Bulls, Lions) - 2 teams only play x1
Japan Domestic - 8 games (top 5 Top League sides)

Top 2 from each conference for playoffs.

If 8 games to much cut it down to a single round fixture (4 games)

That'd work if a window leading into the Nov Tests eventuates. Frankly I actually think that would be the better format for Super Rugby moving forward regardless.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the idea that a government should be using its limited resources to prop up a professional sport during a serious pandemic is very unsavoury, and I hope Rugby Australia don't start making the same kinds of noises.
I agree with you on most things but it's RA's job to be doing exactly that - and they'll be going cap-in-hand today.

Sure, it's not a good look but it becomes a question of insolvency before long. There are many things more unsavoury in the organisation's history than begging for money - which they do every day of the year anyway.

Besides, there's no guarantee they'll be given anything. I expect they will be heard, however, along with many others being forced to close doors. The reason being to keep those small parts of the economy at least flickering. They'll still be losing money out of it regardless.

Recession is here. Spending is needed.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From GeeRob today:

… the escalating spread of COVID-19 threatens to throw into chaos the game's broadcast rights negotiations and put at grave risk rugby's cash cow, the inbound July internationals.​

The loss of those Tests … [would] severely eat into the governing body's limited cash reserves, which are a fraction of their winter code rivals the NRL and AFL.​

… Raelene Castle and her Super Rugby equivalents spent Sunday working through the immediate fallout of the competition's indefinite hiatus, and the two-day shutdown of RA's Moore Park headquarters while two Sevens players were tested for the virus …​

Sources have told The Sydney Morning Herald that RA will be strongly urged to delay by six months its attempts to sew up a multimillion-dollar deal for the broadcast rights …​

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The Broadcast deal was always going to be put on hold the minute this thing entered the ring. The problem the RA have is will those broadcasters have any cash left after its left.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree with you on most things but it's RA's job to be doing exactly that - and they'll be going cap-in-hand today.

Sure, it's not a good look but it becomes a question of insolvency before long. There are many things more unsavoury in the organisation's history than begging for money - which they do every day of the year anyway.

Besides, there's no guarantee they'll be given anything. I expect they will be heard, however, along with many others being forced to close doors. The reason being to keep those small parts of the economy at least flickering. They'll still be losing money out of it regardless.

Recession is here. Spending is needed.

Agree that spending is needed, but this isn't an ordinary recession it's a health emergency and professional sport is so far down the list in terms of importance it should be extremely obvious to everyone. Sporting bodies themselves should realise this and not waste time - part of the effort in this kind of emergency should be for people/companies/industries who can sacrifice to do so. This likely lasts 6 months so sporting bodies need to temporarily cut or defer costs. Highly paid sports people and administrators may need to take temporary large cuts to their incomes.

Given this is very much temporary many commercial arrangements should hopefully be able to be maintained or at least deferred and I think it's likely that when we're past the worst of this that we'll have a huge wave of concentrated sport that will get sport back in business. For now, professional sport needs to go into hibernation and let the spending go to healthcare, individuals who need it to survive, and critical industries that society can't afford to fall over. My opinion anyway.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Without sounding too partisan, do not expect governments to behave totally rationally. The opinion polls matter too much, apparently. Short term popularity seems to be the flavour of the month. Or day.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Without sounding too partisan, do not expect governments to behave totally rationally. The opinion polls matter too much, apparently. Short term popularity seems to be the flavour of the month. Or day.

Then things should get very interesting as so far everything I'm seeing suggests people are far from happy with the governments response to the crisis.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree that spending is needed, but this isn't an ordinary recession it's a health emergency and professional sport is so far down the list in terms of importance it should be extremely obvious to everyone. Sporting bodies themselves should realise this and not waste time - part of the effort in this kind of emergency should be for people/companies/industries who can sacrifice to do so. This likely lasts 6 months so sporting bodies need to temporarily cut or defer costs. Highly paid sports people and administrators may need to take temporary large cuts to their incomes.

Given this is very much temporary many commercial arrangements should hopefully be able to be maintained or at least deferred and I think it's likely that when we're past the worst of this that we'll have a huge wave of concentrated sport that will get sport back in business. For now, professional sport needs to go into hibernation and let the spending go to healthcare, individuals who need it to survive, and critical industries that society can't afford to fall over. My opinion anyway.

Imagine the huge PR boost to rugby if we used our well known connection to the banking industry to defer insolvency and use our resources to help deliver what the economy and people need.
For example, players and administrators take huge salary cuts; local games continue with 500 lottery-style tickets issued; suppliers get promises of payment when the situation is resolved; players work on community projects for the vulnerable in our society; players deliver small-group rugby coaching assistance to grass roots teams.
Exhausted my brain - I'm sure a proactive RA could come up with many more ways of working for Australia.
This emergency will be over at some date in the future. A revitalised rugby community which helped Australians during the emergency would bounce back to win more ground attendance and broadcast viewership.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ Fine words. I'm not sure it is reality.
Agree that spending is needed, but this isn't an ordinary recession it's a health emergency
It was coming even without this coronavirus - the recession, that is, not the lockouts, obviously - but fair enough, each to their own viewpoint, of course.

I'm in the small minority on here who wouldn't lose much sleep if RA did go broke. It would be replaced.

But I don't think that will happen because they'll get a bailout of some sort, along with other sports. Wamberal is on the money there, but we'll just have to see what happens.

I reckon the nature of politics and the lockouts being an enforced order will see that ensues. Not enough to make good their hits, but to avoid going bust.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm in the small minority on here who wouldn't lose much sleep if RA did go broke. It would be replaced.

But I don't think that will happen because they'll get a bailout of some sort, along with other sports. Wamberal is on the money there, but we'll just have to see what happens.

I reckon the nature of politics and the lockouts being an enforced order will see that ensues. Not enough to make good their hits, but to avoid going bust.

I'm in the same boat as you. Rugby as a sport, and as a professional sport will continue no matter what happens.

My intuition is different to yours and Wamberal's on this. I think if the government starts trying to put millions into professional sporting organisations while more and more people are seriously ill and dying, and many people are out of work that the public will go nuts. Look at the outcry when the NSW government announced their stadium policy. I think you can multiply that response a couple of orders of magnitude during a pandemic. I don't think many sports fans would even support it. But we will see!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
You guys talking about "limited domestic comps" sound like deluded seppos in their cocoons 3 weeks ago.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

ffs.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Does NZ's 14 day self isolation policy apply to Aus travellers? A work colleague flew there on the weekend for a month holiday and is happily travelling around already, doesn't seem to be isolating much.

Status
Not open for further replies.