• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Tom Robertson is injured, right. I know he has had some set backs, but he seemed to have plenty of potential. Hopefully whatever is going on with him gets sorted as he would help us with depth at 1.
He missed the last couple of games with injury, but also spent some games on the bench with Bell starting

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Slipper
2. Faianga
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Philips
5. Rodda
6. Wilson
7. Hooper (C)
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Koribete
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Kuridrani
14. Daugunu
15. DHP

16. Rangi
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Hodge
23. Banks
Wilson made it too hard for me to now leave out. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) unlucky but equally if started at 6 would have no problem with that as form player. Assume Hodge recovered from injury. Daugunu bolter but assuming sort out defensive issues he is the better prospect cf Wright...whilst Speight been in good form but looking to the future and Daugunu more the x factor we need on the wing.
Intestingly only 1 Tah player as no way any other Tahs beyond Hooper deserve a look in - although Bell definitely in the squad as development player.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pure Form XV:
1. Slipper
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Tupou
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. To'omua
11. Speight
12. Stewart
13. Kuridrani
14. Kellaway
15. DHP

I think McDermott is losing value, he can't even lock down a spot at the Reds.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Without knowing his season stats I would have T Wright clearly ahead of Speight. The ankle breaker he put on Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) yesterday showed what he brings, the x-factor to break open games with footwork and speed. He has suffered due to McKellar's rotation policy with his wingers only starting 3 games. As a reference yesterday he had 3 carries for 3 clean breaks and 3 defenders beaten along with 2 tries.

Love Wright and hope to see him there. But on Super XV form Kellaway takes it, and Speight probably slightly ahead of Wright... but Wright is just showing signs of being a much more dangerous player.

Tough choice for Rennie.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
With all these teams being named there are a lot of different names been thrown into the mix. I reckon in some of the positions you could almost do a coin flip (e.g. Stewart vs Simone at 12, Naisarani vs Wilson at 8, Valetini vs Samu at 6 etc.). Got me thinking about the level of depth we have going into 2021:

Looseheads: Slipper, JP Smith, Sio, Bell
Hookers: Uelese, Rangi, Mafi, Faiingaa
Tightheads: AAA, Tupou, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Locks: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda, Simmons, Philip (although moving next season)
Six/Eight: Naisarani, Wilson, Valetini, Samu, Wright, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Seven: Wright, Hooper, McReight, Samu
Halfback: McDermott, Powell, White, Louwrens (maybe)
Tens: To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio, Harrison
Inside: Stewart, Simone, JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua
Outside: TK, Paisami, Petaia
Wing: Koroibete, Speight, Wright, Daugunu, Kellaway, Petaia, Vunivala
Fullback: DHP, Banks

I ordered them in any old way the names popped into my head. Key points:

• Serious depth at loosehead, backrow, centres, and on the wing
  • Fullback, locks and tighthead missing depth but some quality starters there (particularly tighthead)
  • Hooker and halfback with a lot of options but no obvious standouts
  • Finally some genuine options at 10, they'll also get to play behind a monster pack as well.
Major takeaway for me is that 2023 should be a real good chance for us.

Neville at lock surely a case now. Would take him over Simmons.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He really didn’t need a break right now as he was coming into fine form. Yep, good case for him to be included. I’d be hopeful as well by the time we’re playing tests next year that at least one of Blythe and Hockings make the squad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He really didn’t need a break right now as he was coming into fine form. Yep, good case for him to be included. I’d be hopeful as well by the time we’re playing tests next year that at least one of Blythe and Hockings make the squad.

Likely to happen next year UTG, but I'd still take Darcy Swain before either of Blyth and Hockings. Swain, in effect, is a combination of both - aggression and power of Blyth and skills in the air and lineout similar to Hockings. In fact, right now I reckon Swain is closest to Arnold in maul control.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Likely to happen next year UTG, but I'd still take Darcy Swain before either of Blyth and Hockings. Swain, in effect, is a combination of both - aggression and power of Blyth and skills in the air and lineout similar to Hockings. In fact, right now I reckon Swain is closest to Arnold in maul control.

And Simmons is ahead of all three.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

He's had this form in his wheelhouse since his days with the Rebels, glad to see it's coming back.
I think McDermott is losing value, he can't even lock down a spot at the Reds.

Even if he isn't starting, knowing how to make an impact off the bench is super important, and it could make him the perfect bench scrumhalf. I'd still be starting him for Aus though.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
In the view of a quickly diminishing minority.

Luckily its the view of the real world (and selectors). Simmons was probably the pick of the starting locks from both teams, definitely outplaying Staniforth and Douglas, and will most likely continue to keep getting selected.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah Simmo, Harrison and Hooper are the only Tahs i expect to be around the Wallabies. Maybe Bell if there are some injuries at loosehead.

If we miss the chance to have a hard running, dynamic lock by playing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, particularly with players like Samu and Valetini in form, i will be irked.

Just choose the best of Simmo/Rodda/lineout calling lock to partner him. Philip on the bench to come on with 30 to go and keep the dynamism up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah Simmo, Harrison and Hooper are the only Tahs i expect to be around the Wallabies. Maybe Bell if there are some injuries at loosehead.

If we miss the chance to have a hard running, dynamic lock by playing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, particularly with players like Samu and Valetini in form, i will be irked.

Just choose the best of Simmo/Rodda/lineout calling lock to partner him. Philip on the bench to come on with 30 to go and keep the dynamism up.

I feel Simmons May make squad but not match day 23. Bell should make squad as development player - Harrison would be fighting Noah for squad place but neither would make match day 23

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So will they pick a 2020 Wallaby 15 if there are no games? Just like they used to in aged rugby ........