• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does NZ's 14 day self isolation policy apply to Aus travellers? A work colleague flew there on the weekend for a month holiday and is happily travelling around already, doesn't seem to be isolating much.

Kicked in at 1am today & the only exemption are flights from the Pacific Islands.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does NZ's 14 day self isolation policy apply to Aus travellers? A work colleague flew there on the weekend for a month holiday and is happily travelling around already, doesn't seem to be isolating much.

Shouldn't be a problem.
If you arrive in New Zealand before 23:59 pm on Sunday 15 March from any country (except Italy or South Korea) you do not need to self-isolate (NZ Ministry of Health)

Archie

Frank Row (1)
Imagine the huge PR boost to rugby if we used our well known connection to the banking industry to defer insolvency and use our resources to help deliver what the economy and people need.
For example, players and administrators take huge salary cuts; local games continue with 500 lottery-style tickets issued; suppliers get promises of payment when the situation is resolved; players work on community projects for the vulnerable in our society; players deliver small-group rugby coaching assistance to grass roots teams.
Exhausted my brain - I'm sure a proactive RA could come up with many more ways of working for Australia.
This emergency will be over at some date in the future. A revitalised rugby community which helped Australians during the emergency would bounce back to win more ground attendance and broadcast viewership.
Deluded.

This is the beginning of a worldwide recession.

Banks aren't going to bailout rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyone else see the positive that this could force NZ's hand into a Trans-Tasman comp sooner than later? Whilst everything is shut down pretty much, when comps get back up and running - whenever that is, Super Rugby will still be hamstrung by travel restrictions I reckon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Let's assume that a modified local competition gets up in the coming months. Where does it start with the ladder? Do the sides simply retain their current points?; are the points they've earned to date adjusted to remove international games from the equation?; do they start from zero again? If the Force are included, probably the latter.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the NZ context, I'd go for the option of starting all over again with the five franchises plus NZ Barbarians (made up of wider training group and U20's players). Home and away schedule, with the Barbarians matches taking the place of the bye as an exhibition match played every Friday (e.g. wouldn't count for competition points), and the two competitive matches played sequentially on Saturday afternoon/evening. Standard Super Rugby competition points and BP setup.

Guess you could end it with a final between the top two qualifying teams, and follow it up with a North Island vs South Island match/series. Hell, maybe even a good old fashioned Possibles vs Probables.

Assume Australia could equally do something similar, if they so wished.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Modified local competitions are a logistical possibility, but the threat of just one player being tested positive to the Wuhan Flu is a big problem. The new local competition would also have to be be shut down.
All that assumes the 500-person ban on outdoor gatherings isn't reduced to say 100 which would make rugby games impossible.
Given the economic circumstances of a possible recession, you are also looking at only using amateur players.
Uncharted territory!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Let's assume that a modified local competition gets up in the coming months. Where does it start with the ladder? Do the sides simply retain their current points?; are the points they've earned to date adjusted to remove international games from the equation?; do they start from zero again? If the Force are included, probably the latter.

Just use the NRC. Instead of the usual teams play the Super Rugby franchises plus the Force and if are at a point where we can drop the 14 day quarantine bring in both the Fiji and Samoan teams from GRR alongside the Force. Then look to set up an 8th team featuring U20s and the extended squad members of each of the Super Rugby franchises. That's 8 team. Schedule 10 rounds plus finals.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No fellas, let's just admit is rugby is not going to be played and neither should it be. Everyone's health is more important than us having something to watch on TV.

I don't actually expect anything to be possible this year. I'm more suggesting that if by some work of luck we are in the place where we could see something this year that the above would be my preference.

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just use the NRC. Instead of the usual teams play the Super Rugby franchises plus the Force and if are at a point where we can drop the 14 day quarantine bring in both the Fiji and Samoan teams from GRR alongside the Force. Then look to set up an 8th team featuring U20s and the extended squad members of each of the Super Rugby franchises. That's 8 team. Schedule 10 rounds plus finals.

Thats not the NRC. Its a State/Provincial based competition.

For my 20 cents worth.

I think they should test all the players for the virus. If all clear move each Super Rugby franchise (+the Force) into an isolation camp. Find out what players are willing to stay in isolation for a short interstate competition (obviously those with families will not).

Then play 4 rounds over 5 weeks, 1 team with a bye each week. 2 games each week , 1 Friday and 1 Saturday game - prime time. Have a contingency for a second round.

It would be the closest thing to State of Origin Rugby could do. Should get lots of eyes on the TV, even in front of Zero crowds.

It is the simplest alternative that should attract significant interest.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
No fellas, let's just admit is rugby is not going to be played and neither should it be. Everyone's health is more important than us having something to watch on TV.

Srsly this. Guessing down under this virus is still more out of sight = out of mind but HOLY SHITBALLS GUYS. 2 months from now you might be looking back at the last 5 pages of this thread and saying ffs we were well and truly heads up our arses with this "isolate the players for my continued entertainment" nonsense.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

For my 20 cents worth.

I think they should test all the players for the virus. If all clear move each Super Rugby franchise (+the Force) into an isolation camp. Find out what players are willing to stay in isolation for a short interstate competition (obviously those with families will not).

Then play 4 rounds over 5 weeks, 1 team with a bye each week. 2 games each week , 1 Friday and 1 Saturday game - prime time. Have a contingency for a second round.

It would be the closest thing to State of Origin Rugby could do. Should get lots of eyes on the TV, even in front of Zero crowds.

Where do you isolate such a large group? Where do you get enough tests to test a couple of hundred healthy people at a time when there isn't enough testing capacity to test all the people that should be getting tested?

This sort of thing is fantasy stuff. It's never going to happen.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Where do you isolate such a large group? Where do you get enough tests to test a couple of hundred healthy people at a time when there isn't enough testing capacity to test all the people that should be getting tested?

Eight words; North Stradbroke Island Rugby League & Allsports Club. Shut the ferries down and give the people hope over this horrible time!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think they should test all the players for the virus. I

This is not well considered. You would have to do NRL, AFL, Soccer with Rugby. It is thousands of people, generally not showing any symptoms. It would be a complete abuse of the testing system which is already trying to reduce unnecessary testing.

We are some way off being able to mandate testing supplementary to the focus of the health system.

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)

Then it all grinds to a halt. Fox stops paying the bills 12 months earlier than they were supposed to.

The entire sport has no income and all go insolvent.

Perhaps we need to delve a bit into this fantasy stuff for the wellbeing of the game and all the players.

If the AFL and NRL think they can keep much larger competitions going, then I would have thought it would have been fairly simple to keep 5 teams going for a short comp.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

For my 20 cents worth.

they could ride unicorns onto the field at the start of the match!

Status
Not open for further replies.