• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So, if Super Rugby season is nixed and we manage to get some national Ricoh Challenge type of thing off the ground then, looking at the Derbies played so far the ladder looks like this:

BRU 3 games 13 points 49 pnt differential
REB 2 games 4 points 1 pnt differential
RED 1 game 1 point -3 pnt differential
WAR 2 games 0 points -47 pnt differential

Remaining games would be:

RED v BRU (Brisbane)
WAR v REB (Sydney)

WAR v RED (Sydney)
REB v BRU (Melbourne)

WAR v BRU (Sydney)
REB v RED (Melbourne)

RED v WAR (Brisbane)

The Brumbies have had their 3 games at home, so are on the road for the rest of the tournament with only 3 games left. The Reds have all bar one of their games left and are likely favorites to win the title.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So, if Super Rugby season is nixed and we manage to get some national Ricoh Challenge type of thing off the ground then, looking at the Derbies played so far the ladder looks like this:

RED v BRU (Brisbane)
WAR v REB (Sydney)

WAR v RED (Sydney)
REB v BRU (Melbourne)

WAR v BRU (Sydney)
REB v RED (Melbourne)

RED v WAR (Brisbane)

The Brumbies have had their 3 games at home, so are on the road for the rest of the tournament with only 3 games left. The Reds have all bar one of their games left and are likely favorites to win the title.

I like the idea but that only fills up 4 weekends. Add another round in and then a 4 team finals series.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

RED v BRU (Brisbane)
WAR v REB (Sydney)

WAR v RED (Sydney)
REB v BRU (Melbourne)

WAR v BRU (Sydney)
REB v RED (Melbourne)

RED v WAR (Brisbane)

Your missing a RED v REB (Brisbane) and no way are they favorites over the Brumbies still.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Your missing a RED v REB (Brisbane) and no way are they favorites over the Brumbies still.

nup, I'm not. Just didn't bother putting it as I expect the Rebels will just forfeit. Largely because of their acceptance of the dominance of the Reds but also because they have so many international players the COVID virus has impacted them more than others and their depth will be seriously tested.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Get a photo of Thorn and Wright lifting the trophy ASAP!

Thorn doesn't like photos - but he was a
2017-Reds-U20-v-NSW-U20-Final-28-620x413.jpg
coach....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have the solution for the rest of sport rugby.

https://rugby-thegame.com/en

They could select 9 players from each team with a tactical subs by the coach, could be live streams of the players in there own home in full kit playing ever ten minutes.

Stream it live on Kayo and Fox, fans with season tickets get to stream and get put on the screen like they are in the stadium.

Winner Winner Super Rugby could continue this weekend

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If we revert to a domestic comp... Maybe now could be an opportunity to have another look at the State Of Origin concept to break up the monotony of playing the same teams over and over, but instead of NSW vs QLD, maybe look at a Pacific Islands vs Australasia.

*this is once the Coronavirus pandemic has subsided... I understand there’s a number of variable to still consider about time etc.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
State Of Origin concept to break up the monotony of playing the same teams over and over, but instead of NSW vs QLD, maybe look at a Pacific Islands vs Australasia.
Hints of domestic internal division along racial lines there. Not a fan.

If you want to see a unified Pacific Islands team then do it properly with test players from, or at least capped by, actual Pacific Island nations.

The "State of Origin" concept was born of desperation in this country from football codes where there was a shortage of international competition. The standard was often higher than international matches. That's a big part of why it succeeded in RL (still failed in aussie rules, tho).

None of that applies in rugby union. NSW v Qld under SOO rules would barely bring in more than under non-SOO rules.

Leave it to the mungos, imo.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Simple economics will apply to lots of sports and whether they want to admit or not yet salaries will be reduced.

Fox can’t show sport, subscriptions fall.

Even if Fox wanted to, they will not have the money to pay their contracts.

Ditto FTA, without games and advertising revenue.

Betting sponsorship’s, no games to bet on no income. Similar to most other sponsorship's.

Crowd revenue gone.

E-games who already have a huge following will increase their market share. E-games could be nay will be, a huge winner in this.

This has the potential to do long term damage, to all traditional sporting codes.

Given how small business is hurting and tourist towns as well, it would be a brave government that agree to bail out a sporting code.

The media deal has been put back, buying a little more time.

The interesting thing will be how affected the broadcasters will be in six months. Some could be on their knees themselves and not have the revenue or reserves to make an offer anywhere near what RA want.

NZ are broadcasting a NZ wide competition.

Where to Super Rugby, is a beyond interesting question today. Personally, I think the biggest post virus issue we, and the other Football codes, will have is E-games they are safe and can use a digital crowd.

If I was in charge of RA, I would be arguing to other unions to develop our own E-game.

None of the current issues are the fault of RA, having said that our management has left us in the most vulnerable position of the Football codes today. Castle needs to be very clever and she has little wriggle room. Let’s hope she can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because Rugby Union video games have such a good history...

If rugby can find a spare $30-40mil to develop a game then great. For example it cost the most recent COD $40mil to create and that was with a pre-existing engine to work with. Fantasy stuff

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Because Rugby Union video games have such a good history...

Sarcasm, the key reason the games flopped was because those in charge wanted to spend SFA on the development and ongoing maintenance and upgrading technology.

Gridiron, Basketball & Soccer all have a huge digital footprint. For a laugh last year the digital A-League grand final playing FIFA out rated the A-League grand final.

All sport has to deal with what we have today, I may not always be right, but on this issue I am fairly certain E-games are going to expand and with the virus IMO expand rapidly. We can do the normal rugby thing and first not acknowledge it, second laugh at those doing it, third as it starts to grow pretend it won't hurt or effect us, fourth laugh at those saying rugby should do something, fifth blame the kids.

Reminds me greatly of comments when I said after a couple of years we need to develop a way out of Super Rugby. Just maybe those in charge of rugby in a worldly sense all chip in and do the development. It won't be cheap but break into Asia and it opens up a new world.

At the end of the day it will come down to the quality of the game and keeping it updated.

This is the link to the most popular sports E-games, Hockey in there, but mostly Gridiron, Basketball & Soccer. Rugby globally should invest in the creation of a E-game fans wanta play.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sports games&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU802AU802&oq=Sports games&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.1227j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sarcasm, the key reason the games flopped was because those in charge wanted to spend SFA on the development and ongoing maintenance and upgrading technology.

Gridiron, Basketball & Soccer all have a huge digital footprint. For a laugh last year the digital A-League grand final playing FIFA out rated the A-League grand final.

All sport has to deal with what we have today, I may not always be right, but on this issue I am fairly certain E-games are going to expand and with the virus IMO expand rapidly. We can do the normal rugby thing and first not acknowledge it, second laugh at those doing it, third as it starts to grow pretend it won't hurt or effect us, fourth laugh at those saying rugby should do something, fifth blame the kids.

Reminds me greatly of comments when I said after a couple of years we need to develop a way out of SL. Just maybe those in charge of rugby in a worldly sense all chip in and do the development. It won't be cheap but break into Asia and it opens up a new world.

At the end of the day it will come down to the quality of the game and keeping it updated.

This is the link to the most popular sports E-games, Hockey in there, but mostly Gridiron, Basketball & Soccer. Rugby globally should invest in the creation of a E-game fans wanta play.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Spo.....69i57j0l7.1227j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
You do realise basketball, soccer and gridiron are the richest sports in the world. Secondly they didn’t develop a game, a company approached them to use their name to develop a game as there was millions to be made. Thirdly the A-League has the luxury of been associated with the Premier League, La Liga, etc. and it’s purely coincidence they are on the game than anything. Any success they might have with it, isn’t their doing it’s purely because they are piggybacking on someone else’s ride.

I agree a digital footprint would be great, but it requires demand and resources. There also has to be money to be made from it for someone to bother. There has been a few rugby games as I’m sure you know, they have all been made on a shoestring budget, this is done so the developers don’t lose out in the strong chance it fails. Rugby is not pop culture like the NBA, EPL and NFL, therefore not in a position to attract casual sports fans (eg. Everyone knows who LeBron is and barely anyone knows who Itoje is, including countries that play rugby)

Fanciful thinking if you think anything is remotely possible at this current stage. The best hope for a game going forward of decent quality would be if things continue on an upward trend in Japan.

Hockey is the closest sport in terms of success but it’s the national sport in Canada (bigger economy than Aus), has a large presence in the USA (worlds largest economy with massive population).

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If rugby can find a spare $30-40mil to develop a game then great. For example it cost the most recent COD $40mil to create and that was with a pre-existing engine to work with. Fantasy stuff

Your cost estimate is a tad low, that 30 million would need to be spend each year for maybe 5 or 6 years, and maybe it should be more than 30 million. The cost is offset by players but I cannot imagine it would break even for a few years.

We can ignore it, say we can't afford it, say it does not apply to rugby. over crowded market.

As an aside I hear that cricket is developing quite a decent E-game.

Sad to think we can't even get to a discussion point.

Scotland
Wales
Ireland
England
France
Italy
South Africa
Australia
New Zealand
Japan
China
Argentina

Thats 12 countries say 2.5 million each and thats 30 million a year

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes, the developers (EA Sports - probably the largest sports game developer in the world) did not put in as much money and resources into their rugby games BECAUSE THERE WAS NO INTEREST IN THEM.

But sure, if all of the rugby nations unite to put all of their funds into a really cool video game (because that's how major sporting bodies operate, and how video games are made?), it will become a huge success because........... because........... because..............

Why?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I missed last night's ep of The Breakdown but they had NZR CEO Mark Robinson on & looks like the five NZ Franchises will be playing a double round-robin plus Finals starting in three weeks:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...-mark-robinson-reveals-plans-for-kiwi-derbies

Will have to be in closed stadia & obviously subject to no-one in any of the set-ups getting infected but at this point it's probably the best we can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.