• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
the five NZ Franchises will be playing a double round-robin plus Finals starting in three weeks:

tumblr_n6f78fP0921qa4e2fo3_r1_500.gif

"Welcome..... to Cloud Cuckoo Land....."

COX'S ROUTE

Frank Nicholson (4)
I missed last night's ep of The Breakdown but they had NZR CEO Mark Robinson on & looks like the five NZ Franchises will be playing a double round-robin plus Finals starting in three weeks:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...-mark-robinson-reveals-plans-for-kiwi-derbies

Will have to be in closed stadia & obviously subject to no-one in any of the set-ups getting infected but at this point it's probably the best we can hope for.

Apparently such a concept is pure fantasy this side of the ditch. Anyone suggesting such a thing would be ridiculed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I know many on here are somewhat scathing about Loig but is it time to follow NRL example.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/03/...or-off-field-incidents-they-can-heavily-fine/
The NRL is in fantasyland thinking they are going to keep the comp going. Saying things like moving the whole comp to North Queensland, isolating every player, asking for a govt handout, etc reeks of panic. The clubs’ pokies revenue will disappear too, this situation is much more dire for their code than ours

S

Show-n-go

BECAUSE THERE WAS NO INTEREST IN THEM.

Where do you sign up to show your interest?

I'd love a rugby game, i havent bought one in over a decade though because i know theyre all fucking trash. Can't base the no interest factor off lack of sales for previous games when people know they are pieces of shit

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where do you sign up to show your interest?

I'd love a rugby game, i havent bought one in over a decade though because i know theyre all fucking trash. Can't base the no interest factor off lack of sales for previous games when people know they are pieces of shit

But why would EA Sports or someone capable of making the game to the necessary quality spend the money to do so when they know the market is much smaller than for the other games they make?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes, the developers (EA Sports - probably the largest sports game developer in the world) did not put in as much money and resources into their rugby games BECAUSE THERE WAS NO INTEREST IN THEM.

But sure, if all of the rugby nations unite to put all of their funds into a really cool video game (because that's how major sporting bodies operate, and how video games are made?), it will become a huge success because..... because..... because......

Why?

I think its a little more complicated then to just say "BECAUSE THERE WAS NO INTEREST IN THEM", there is interest from a consumer and developer perspective, however the complexity of designing a quality rugby union game are far more expensive and consuming then other sports.

I remember reading an article many years ago now that one of the biggest issues was the number of players involved, each of those players on the field require their actions to be mapped and react dynamically to the players input and other players movements. NBA & NHL have had some of the best sporting games for the last 20years because of the comparative simplicity of designing those games. In terms of the number of moving parts on the field, rugby union has 25% more players then FIFA/NFL, thats without including the complexity of events like scrums, rucks and mauls.

NBA: 10
NHL: 12
NFL: 22
Football: 22
Rugby Union: 30

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But why would EA Sports or someone capable of making the game to the necessary quality spend the money to do so when they know the market is much smaller than for the other games they make?

Its not though, Ice Hockey is a smaller market then Rugby Union, but NHL is one of the best selling games for EA.

The issue is the complexity of designing rugby union games makes it significantly more expensive to achieve a similar quality as to that of NHL/NBA etc.

S

Show-n-go

Scotland
Wales
Ireland
England
France
Italy
South Africa
Australia
New Zealand
Japan
Argentina

^ that is a bigger potential market share than Canada and a little bit of US

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
OK, so let's take the 6 a side sport out of the equation that EA Sports has been making for 30 years (so they have a lot of IP and continuity from year to year to make incremental upgrades) and look at the other sports.

Also, ice hockey is massive in Scandinavia, Russia and parts of central Europe.

S

Show-n-go

OK, so let's take the 6 a side sport out of the equation that EA Sports has been making for 30 years (so they have a lot of IP and continuity from year to year to make incremental upgrades) and look at the other sports.

Also, ice hockey is massive in Scandinavia, Russia and parts of central Europe.

reads as, lets take out everything that shoots a hole in my argument

Status
Not open for further replies.