• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

newgpsfollower

Frank Row (1)
Syris Schmidt from TSS has been outstanding for the Burleigh in the U18 MM Cup trials this season at five eight. Regardless of the code, he is a star in the making.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
TSS do have a Titans contracted star 16 year old who is a real shot at being involved in the First XV in 2020 at either N0.8 or No.6 however.

Trying to predict injuries is like guessing the future.One of our RL stars(played 4 matches in 1st xv) picked up a bad injury in a RL trial on weekend and is doubtful for round 1.
2016-BSHS wins premiership using only 18 players & their seconds were walloped every match. Go figure?

Call out to CountryJack.Your beloved TSS looks like the GC Titans academy with all this new 16 year old boys in grade 10 you got in. That Sam Walker clone you just got is sensational.
Also what positions do the 3 NZ boys play?. I know one is a number 8.

The boy you are suggesting is the Walker clone was 15 A 10 last year and scored a heap of tries. He will be in Qld under 16 SOO team for sure.I expect him to play 9 in 1st xv.
Not sure about NZ boys . There is a new prop but the other 2 were brothers and here last year.

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
With regard to the so called Walker clone at TSS ; he is impressing his rugby league connections (Titans ) and appears to know his way to the try line amongst other talents. Sounds like a prospect at 9 for the firsts with Cyris S a lock in at 10.

I assume the new prop is the Kebra Park boy who started last year with some impressive run ons with the firsts until injured against BGS. One of the two Kiwi brothers played every firsts game at seven and would certainly fit into the 8 role similar to Reno with perhaps more ball playing skills - a very impressive athlete and apparently a very decent young man. I’m not sure what his brother is up to.
James Pere( I guess the brother of a big number 8 from a few years ago) is looking a big and exciting prospect also vying for number 8.

Looking like another handy TSS outfit should the footie season go ahead given the current virus threat.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Wombat ( He who eats roots and leaves )

TSS looking a bit stronger in the forwards than I had previously given them credit for , but , tbh , I'd cut to the chase and make a 1 out of Pere , leave Waters at 8 ( sort of like a skilled 8 in the mould of how someone like Murray Mexted was ) , with VDS Jr at 6 . With the Keebra lad you refer to upfront - it is a pretty good nucleus for a pack . The question mark will be your locks - although , toilet roll packs are more plentiful than adept locks these days so you are not on your Pat Malone I suppose

If the TSS forward pack can at least hold their own and secure equal ball against the other top 2 or 3 teams their backline will do the rest . Schmidt/Ngamanu/Fifita + the kid at 9 ( or 15 ?? ) will be too hot for others to handle . I am not sure that Nudgee have the same strike capacity - and even for those that argue that BBC does............ don't be surprised to see the 2018 "playbook" ( if you can call it a book .....more like a leaflet ) get dusted off into a boring, predictable and easily defended skip 1 / double cut out get the ball to Howarth "attack". Yawn. Not the same gas in the back 3 that they've had in the last 4 to 5 years either

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
@Wombat ( He who eats roots and leaves )

TSS looking a bit stronger in the forwards than I had previously given them credit for , but , tbh , I'd cut to the chase and make a 1 out of Pere , leave Waters at 8 ( sort of like a skilled 8 in the mould of how someone like Murray Mexted was ) , with VDS Jr at 6 . With the Keebra lad you refer to upfront - it is a pretty good nucleus for a pack . The question mark will be your locks - although , toilet roll packs are more plentiful than adept locks these days so you are not on your Pat Malone I suppose

If the TSS forward pack can at least hold their own and secure equal ball against the other top 2 or 3 teams their backline will do the rest . Schmidt/Ngamanu/Fifita + the kid at 9 ( or 15 ?? ) will be too hot for others to handle . I am not sure that Nudgee have the same strike capacity - and even for those that argue that BBC does.... don't be surprised to see the 2018 "playbook" ( if you can call it a book ...more like a leaflet ) get dusted off into a boring, predictable and easily defended skip 1 / double cut out get the ball to Howarth "attack". Yawn. Not the same gas in the back 3 that they've had in the last 4 to 5 years either

skip 1 / double cut out get the ball to Howarth
Goodness me -I thought that game plan was a secret.
We will have to regroup.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't forget the kicker. Although there will now need to be the tries scored that require conversion ( against the teams that will be contending )

A

Aussie Luke

Apologies, I did not intend that to be a disparaging comment about facilities, more as a compliment about some of those characteristics you mentioned.

I spent a couple of years in the PSA system in Perth (GPS equivalent) and the two Catholic schools in that comp generally punched above their weight. Interestingly enough, the 2 schools, Aquinas and Trinity Colleges have a similar story to Nudgee and Terrace, both originally being part of the same school. Aquinas also wear the Red and Black too.

All good mate!

On another point, I am wondering whether the corona virus will shut down the GPS rugby this season.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
All good mate!

On another point, I am wondering whether the corona virus will shut down the GPS rugby this season.

Jeez I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised. I live in Seattle and work in the school system.

All schools are now shut down and won't be running again until April the 27th at this point, but who really knows.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Given St Pats College Shorncliffe is in lock down today with fears surrounding 3 x students who work at a local KFC where another school kid tested positive to CO-VID 19 - and , with professional sport leagues shutting down in the US and around the world and with large and un-necessary gatherings of crowds of 500 and more being discouraged , or even , actively broken up (where in NYC the National Guard has been called in to lend support) , it would seem a fair likelihood for school competitions to be abandoned this season.

Given the Friday's night club scare ( last Saturday Night ) possibly Clubs too.

I note the State's Chief Medical Officer , today , quoting an expected infection rate of 25% for all Queenslanders within the next 6 months.

We're in un-chartered waters

human

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes _correct. I remember the Alec Evans era at BGS well.They called them "bursaries" and several future Wallabies left other GPS schools in grade 11 when offered one(allegedly full fees of course!)

Alec EVANS???? It must be 30 years since he was at the school yet you seem to think that what went on then still goes on?? I best be careful visiting Japan or Germany then.

A

Aussie Luke

Yes, let's stop pretending BGS, Churchie, BBC, Terrace etc. don't give out scholarships. They give more than any other schools in Queensland, and this a good thing. Why not give some kids who are not from wealthy families an opportunity to attend these schools who are talented.

It's looking shaky now for a GPS rugby season re the cancellations this week in GPS cricket etc.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Speaking of scholarships.. my god Howarth was good on the weekend for easts tigers, he should not be playing against kids.

The current situation will only get worse before it improves, let’s hope it is gone by term 3.

A

Aussie Luke

Howarth had a lot of impact last season at BBC. Hopefully we get to see him and some of the others play in the GPS this season.

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
Any updates about what is going to happen with the upcoming season / trial games in wake of coronavirus?? Or even if there is updates with Term 2 sports

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tuesday 17 March 2020, 5.00pm
The Great Public Schools Association of Queensland has resolved to cancel all organised sport and activities for the remainder of term 1 and postpones term 2 & 3 pre-season training and trial games.
The Great Public Schools Association of Queensland (GPS) Executive met on Monday to discuss the current recommendations from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee, endorsed by Commonwealth, State and Territory governments, that organised public gatherings of more than 500 people be cancelled to reduce transmission of COVID-19 in Australia.
With the current threat of coronavirus impacting the health and welfare of Australians, the GPS has taken guidance from the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) along with State and Federal Sporting Organisations, to amend the GPS events calendar and pre-season programs for active sport and activities.
The health and safety of our students, staff, volunteers and the entire GPS community continues to be our number one priority and while we all want to see the competitions running as soon as possible, we won’t make any decisions that put anyone at risk.
While many of our sport and activities are relatively safe and non-contact there are considerable measures that need to be in place to adhere to expert advice around reducing the risk of spreading the virus. We focused specifically on minimising the risk and impact on our communities that we lead and serve, as well as their families.
The GPS can confirm that the remainder of Term 1 activities which includes Cricket, Volleyball and Debating and the postponement of pre-season Cross Country meets and all formal and informal pre-season training and competitions for Football, Tennis, Basketball and Rugby Union, have been cancelled. This directive will come into effect at midnight Tuesday 17 March effective until further notice. This decision is consistent with the relevant state and national sporting organisations current directive.
These are difficult decisions and we certainly appreciate our community have invested a lot of time, effort and resources into preparing their teams, however we feel that it is important that we play our part, in reducing the spread of COVID-19 out of respect for all Australians.
The GPS acknowledges that this advice can change as the situation evolves, and as such will continue to monitor, and act accordingly. Should there be any change to this advice the GPS will communicate this information through direct communication with Headmasters and Principals.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
So at this stage the season has been postponed - No pre seasson training can take place for any GPS sports. If the COVID-19 starts to show improvement by June / July would this mean there may a comp over term 3 and 4?

The GPS can confirm that the remainder of Term 1 activities which includes Cricket, Volleyball and Debating and the postponement of pre-season Cross Country meets and all formal and informal pre-season training and competitions for Football, Tennis, Basketball and Rugby Union, have been cancelled.