• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
OK, so let's take the 6 a side sport out of the equation that EA Sports has been making for 30 years (so they have a lot of IP and continuity from year to year to make incremental upgrades) and look at the other sports.

Also, ice hockey is massive in Scandinavia, Russia and parts of central Europe.

Well no, you can’t take it out because it’s a fundamental piece of the discussion.

Ice Hockey is still a smaller market the rugby union, even if you include Russia. That been said I’m not sure how well an American based sporting league game would sell in Russia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well no, you can’t take it out because it’s a fundamental piece of the discussion.

Ice Hockey is still a smaller market the rugby union, even if you include Russia. That been said I’m not sure how well an American based sporting league game would sell in Russia.

I'm taking it out of the discussion based on your excellent post on the previous page about the complexity being heavily linked to the number of players. I though the substantial takeaway from it was that despite the small-ish market for ice hockey, it's not really a good example to use to suggest that a rugby union game would be a good option for game designers to make. One is clearly much simpler to produce than the other.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The licensing issues have been killing rugby games. I wanna have a team of Quade playing with Faf, McKenzie, Itoje & Alldrit. Instead I have Bill Genia from the QLD Purples playing with the Welsh 12 Dan Smallar.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm taking it out of the discussion based on your excellent post on the previous page about the complexity being heavily linked to the number of players. I though the substantial takeaway from it was that despite the small-ish market for ice hockey, it's not really a good example to use to suggest that a rugby union game would be a good option for game designers to make. One is clearly much simpler to produce than the other.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying, I thought you meant consider it without the complexity of 30 players on the pitch.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
tumblr_n6f78fP0921qa4e2fo3_r1_500.gif

"Welcome... to Cloud Cuckoo Land..."

Paul Cully agrees:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...-rugbys-revamped-super-rugby-plan-is-a-mirage

FWIW I don't expect it to last more than 2-3 weeks but they've gotta be seen to be trying to give Sky some content so at least some rights money keeps coming in; the TAB something for punters to bet on so at least some commission money keeps coming in; sponsors something to sponsor so at least some sponsorship money keeps coming in........

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Paul Cully agrees:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...-rugbys-revamped-super-rugby-plan-is-a-mirage
During a Wednesday briefing with journalists, Robinson defended the Kiwi derby proposals even as one of his one staff members was being tested for coronavirus and NZ Rugby HQ went into lockdown

lol, reminiscent of that Iranian minister doofus "everything is fine, it is under control" meanwhile his Minister of Health and Safety is sick as shit standing right there next to the dope

CoronavirusIran.jpg

#iran_mass_graves

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
FFS we know it's only a slim chance, but do Cully etc have to pour water on any hopes people have!!
I can't believe how negative some people have been since this thing started, every prick looking at what we can't possibly do, and that includes at work etc, well fuck em all, I will still hold out hope we will see some rugby, and I will not assume that I and every other bastard is going to be locked in our houses, I will let those things depress me when I have to!!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Despite making it back before the 1am Monday deadline, Crusaders have gone into self isolation until March 29 along with Highlanders who missed the deadline. Chiefs are also in isolation but only until March 22:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...until-sunday-following-jacinda-arderns-advice

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...urn-to-dunedin-as-super-rugby-pessimism-grows

Expecting an announcement today or Friday from NZR re: the proposed derby comp & how it'll fit into the "10-12 week" window they've mentioned a few times now. I'm thinking eight rounds plus SF & GF after a three-week layoff (this being layoff week one). Again, I doubt it can last that long but they've gotta be seen to be trying something.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oz super rugby derbies need to get going as nrl and afl playing behind close doors and putting oz rugby out of mind out of sight whilst nrl and afl going on will only further damage fan support for rugby and risk further fans drifting to nrl and afl

S

Show-n-go

Why don’t nz just bring the mitre10, forward and have an extended season? Surely that’s better for them than an adhoc kiwi super rugby tournament. Great development tool for young kiwi players too, having a full season to learn of and play with/against current all blacks

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oz super rugby derbies need to get going as nrl and afl playing behind close doors and putting oz rugby out of mind out of sight whilst nrl and afl going on will only further damage fan support for rugby and risk further fans drifting to nrl and afl

Well, one player from Sydney Uni who played in the Australian Club Championships last weekend has tested positive for COVID-19 and experienced symptoms the day after which puts a whole heap of people into the close contact category at risk of catching it.

I think the NRL and AFL are being entirely cavalier about the situation and will end up causing significant new clusters of the virus.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Why don’t nz just bring the mitre10, forward and have an extended season? Surely that’s better for them than an adhoc kiwi super rugby tournament. Great development tool for young kiwi players too, having a full season to learn of and play with/against current all blacks

Yes thought this as well, I do wonder if it has to do with trying to fulfill there Super rugby obligations, regards broadcast payments Which i gather is why the NRL/AFL are still forging ahead.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, one player from Sydney Uni who played in the Australian Club Championships last weekend has tested positive for COVID-19 and experienced symptoms the day after which puts a whole heap of people into the close contact category at risk of catching it.

I think the NRL and AFL are being entirely cavalier about the situation and will end up causing significant new clusters of the virus.

That is not good. Are we likely to get an update once they trace the source?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Possibly to do with the suspension of community rugby. M10 may still end up being brought forward, though, as I can't see there being any inbound tours in July.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

That's a hell of a lot more players to pay versus just using the Super Rugby squads. Given many provinces tread a fine financial line during a normal season, a season without crowds is basically a financial death sentence. That, in turn, means more costs for NZR to bear.

I'd imagine it's also somewhat more trickier trying to keep 14 squads worth of players healthy, as opposed to just the five -- which will be a mission in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.