• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
One would think the leadership team is hitting 90% of their KPIs. Now obviously #1 is winning but most peeps can see we are moving in the right direction in that regard.

If we do manage to resume some part of the season my expectation is high.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The season as we know it is gone, it will be interesting whether they play a mini Aus conference tournament sometime after 1st May (when Aus rugby has been given the green light to resume, at this stage). I can see the Reds really hitting their strides in some sort of short form tournament in a few months. The young bodies will enjoy a break from the rigors of professional footy and the oldies the same. No doubt Thorn will be keeping them on their toes somehow. Do we know if they are still training? I heard a rumor they were.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whatever else, I actually think J McKay deserves much credit for evolving major improvements in the Reds' attack (and doesn't get enough credit for that, here or elsewhere).

There have been a huge 2020 improvements in all of: accurate offloading under pressure (by almost every player), proper, well-organised ensemble play by the backs running plays in unison and at pace, better link play backs-to-forwards and vice versa, far higher long passing accuracy and more considered long vs short passing, better attacking positioning off the ball, and so on.

And I give Thorn credit for hiring McKay. Half the job skill of a pro HC is hiring excellent ACs and involving and using them well.

My understanding was that RA (with QRU endorsement) were the ones who got McKay back not Thorn.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How anyone from the outside, in good faith, can comment on the workings inside the four walls at Balleymore is beyond me.

It’s disingenuous at the very least.

Jim McKay is an excellent man, doing an excellent job - but the coaching unit is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Splintering is the first sign of division.

Stand as one or stand divided.

We should shut down the site then. Of course we can comment on whats happening at Ballymore. Are we going to be correct, sometimes we may be and other times not, but half the fun is giving your point of view.

I have not been a Thorn fan but I was looking forward to how the team developed under him this year. The fact that they came back from being 17-0, was impressive and he should get credit for that.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
We should shut down the site then. Of course we can comment on whats happening at Ballymore. Are we going to be correct, sometimes we may be and other times not, but half the fun is giving your point of view.

I have not been a Thorn fan but I was looking forward to how the team developed under him this year. The fact that they came back from being 17-0, was impressive and he should get credit for that.
And who do we think is listening? Probably no one that we want to listen. No one ever agrees with me but I think I’m right

B

Bobby Sands

To say some people are doing a good job, and others aren't, when we can't actually see their output (ie performance) is a very hard thing to comment on in my opinion - but go for your life!

All elements of rugby are connected. If you backs are attacking well, it is because your forwards are winning the set-piece/collision and or effecting turnover's consistently - not simply because the backs have been practising set-plays with laser-focused precision (of course that helps).

Its obvious that skill deficiencies such as maul defence etc are easy to isolate as fall-downs on coaching or coaching focus - I think to suggest that Peter Ryan is doing a good job because Hamish can tackle, and that someone else is not because Hockings can't clean out is a bit ridiculous.

I for one have been critical of Alred because his job is isolated to kicking, and no-one in the squad can kick. Is that fair? I am not sure - so I understand your wider point.

But, also, Brad Thorn gets my vote over faceless blokes on the interwebs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Right now, I’m comfortable to suggest there has been little value in Aldred.

None actually, or worse we are more shite now than before his involvement.

Outside that I’m pretty happy with the Reds coaching team. We need more from the line out, and mauls. But I’m the happiest I’ve been since 2012.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I love forums because it is a melting pot of passionate ideas and comments. If I only wanted sourced information, I'd stick to the Rugby section of the newspapers. Yes things are a little better when people do read before they write (like when people propose teams with players that are ineligible or injured!) however if you have something to say as a fan, here is the place!

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I believe that the recruitment of James O'Connor has been the biggest problem of 2020 for the Reds. Not that O'Connor is a bad person or player but trying to fit him into the backline having not played with any of them before is really hard.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I believe that the recruitment of James O'Connor has been the biggest problem of 2020 for the Reds. Not that O'Connor is a bad person or player but trying to fit him into the backline having not played with any of them before is really hard.

He's been one of the Reds best and has been a revelation in his 2nd coming at 10. Playing a team sport means playing with players you haven't played with before regularly. If they can't get around playing with JOC (James O'Connor) what chance would anyone have with QC (Quade Cooper)?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

He has been the fulcrum of the team's attack. Thorn has put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. Frankly, it seems to me that the backline has to fit into his presence, rather than the other way around. BTW, all the young players will learn a heap from JOC (James O'Connor).

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Right now, I’m comfortable to suggest there has been little value in Aldred.

None actually, or worse we are more shite now than before his involvement.

Outside that I’m pretty happy with the Reds coaching team. We need more from the line out, and mauls. But I’m the happiest I’ve been since 2012.

Bring back Chook Fowler??? He's still here in Brisbane. (I say this very tongue in cheek as I think he would rub a lot of people the wrong way. Unfortunately, as he got good results.)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He's been one of the Reds best and has been a revelation in his 2nd coming at 10. Playing a team sport means playing with players you haven't played with before regularly. If they can't get around playing with JOC (James O'Connor) what chance would anyone have with QC (Quade Cooper)?
Gees gob smacked how anyone could not see what a revelation JOC (James O'Connor) has been for reds and oz rugby.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Definitely agree with O'Connor being a great addition. I would imagine he is a coach/teammates dream - has the ability to play in multiple positions and seems to adapt his role each time. No where near as off-the-cuff as QC (Quade Cooper) was a few years ago and has a much higher skill level than a stock standard reliable back such as Hegarty.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets, out of curiosity, why aren’t you a fan of Thorn?

Didn't like how he was put in. Didn't like how he dealt with players. Don't really like how he chops and changes the team. Also, he had limited experience before and has been learning on the job. Has an ordinary record that cost previous coaches their jobs.

In saying that I can see a lot of growth this year, or maybe it's my obsession with Harry Wilson. I didn't like his use of the bench in the first three rounds but he's made better changes since week 3.

Also, I broke my are trying to tackle him and still hold a grudge. :)