• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
We have an interesting test case in the Shute Shield broadcast. What does that cost a season for 25 odd games? Looking to use companies in each of the locations as opposed to flying a crews cross country.

Does anyone know the commercials behind Double Take Sports? They stream (amongst other things) 3 x Qld GPS schoolboys games each week with one commentated for $0 return (free on youtube).
Makes me wonder both what their aim is and what they could do if they received money to pay for a second camera.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone know the commercials behind Double Take Sports? They stream (amongst other things) 3 x Qld GPS schoolboys games each week with one commentated for $0 return (free on youtube).
Makes me wonder both what their aim is and what they could do if they received money to pay for a second camera.

I've always been intrigued about their model. Not sure but am sure I could find out.

I wouldn't be surpised if they've been sounded out by a few parties around these recent broadcast discussions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fox Sports seem to have undergone another cost cutting exercise with Nat Yoannidis amongst a host of staff axed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They’re running out of content, and are now broadcasting the same programs (mostly replays) across multiple channels.........

Who else has ditched Kayo?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ telco Spark's sports streaming service is now free until May. Pay-tv operator Sky, meanwhile, are apparently bleeding subscribers even faster than over recent years & their share price (NZR are a 5% shareholder, btw) has tanked to somewhere around 30 cents.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I cut Kayo last week. Literally no reason to have it anymore. Hope I'm not hurting Aus rugby but not worth it.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I cut Kayo last week. Literally no reason to have it anymore. Hope I'm not hurting Aus rugby but not worth it.

I'm getting there too - will need to let my brother know first, but as no sport on at moment, no point paying for it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm getting there too - will need to let my brother know first, but as no sport on at moment, no point paying for it.

When you do pull the plug they ask you a few questions about why you're leaving. I left a few strong words saying I was only there for rugby and without rugby I'm not interested at all. Hopefully they get the message.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When you do pull the plug they ask you a few questions about why you're leaving. I left a few strong words saying I was only there for rugby and without rugby I'm not interested at all. Hopefully they get the message.

it all contributes, they'll put it into a database to look at the reasons why.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
In a roundabout way the level of Kayo and Foxtel cancellations that are made and where the cancell-er communicates their reasons - in this case no rugby - this outcome becomes a rough proxy as to how much rugby is worth to Foxtel as a whole.

Problem is, they are going to get a lot of cancellations and probably only 5% or so will bother to state a sport-specific reason.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Just cancelled mine and made sure to mention I only use it for rugby. No games and what looks like no interest in rugby moving forward = no Kayo.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep was waiting to see if local super rugby derby matches going to be played but taking too long so cancelling Foxtel subscription today which only have for the rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To my mind you have afl and nrl playing behind closed doors - act quickly RA and get local games with Sunwolves (who apparently still in australia) and maybe force quickly before fans like me cancel their fox sports subscription - taking too long to provide update on plans here

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To my mind you have afl and nrl playing behind closed doors - act quickly RA and get local games with Sunwolves (who apparently still in australia) and maybe force quickly before fans like me cancel their fox sports subscription - taking too long to provide update on plans here

Nah, the AFL and NRL shouldn't be going ahead........... it's pure madness.

Rugby is doing the right thing not having any competitions right now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In telegraph it stated domestic derby starting April 3 and includes force but not Sunwolves who apparently are all out of the country (I thought they were in oz but obviously not).

NRL have strict conditions on players to go straight home and and not be outside in public - hard to see league players complying. My view is RA correct to follow nrl and afl lead or risk irrelevance

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They’ve only floated the idea of a domestic derby........... nothing locked in yet.

A Sydney Uni player has now tested positive for the virus.

This is one time RA shouldn’t be following AFL and NRL’s “lead.”