• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kangaroos Vs Wallabies

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Gotta love Jenko's quip that if they were going to stage this match why would they need the consortia? Nice toe to the nuts

R.I.P

Bob McCowan (2)
Bit pointless really. Mind you it would be good to have someone like Billy Slater in your side. The ARU should just have a state of origin. Queensland would piss it in with all the quality talent they have produced over the years that have gone to other states.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A match like this would get me curious but that's all. I think it's really funny watching a sport with athletic and ridiculously talented people that only know what they are doing 90% of the time (International Rules Football springs to mind or watching Tompkins play for the Babas).

Because the athletes are never fully confident in what they are doing it's never the same as watching them in their own game, you can't have that killer instincts when at the back of your mind you're questioning yourself.

By all means have a game like this as a one off thing but expect a huge "fish out of water" factor.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe we should have a rugby, rugby league, soccer, afl, gaelic, grid iron hybrid game..?

If you place the ball down over the line it's 4 points, but if you drop kick it it's 2, unless you kick it through the middle posts then it's 5, but if it gets through the goal it's 6...

After every 4th down you have to handover the ball...

Conversion is only 1 point...

Everyone gets to wear a helmet, but no shoulder pads...

You can only pass the ball 5 times, and then you have to use your feet...

Everytime there's a scrum, you have to then bring on your 'scrummaging' players... same with lineouts....

The ball is a mixture of all balls... kind of hexagonal...

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Normally I avoid these conversations as it would never happen and often pointless, but unprecedented times has created some chat in the newspaper today and it’s got me thinking what would a Wallabies ‘League’ side look like?

Here is my team, hopefully it’s something fun for people to do by creating their own

Rugby team for League

1 DHP
2 Koroibete
3 Paisami
4 Hooper
5 Petaia
6 JOC (James O'Connor)
7 To'omua
8 Naisarani
9 White
10 Tupou
11 Kurindrani
12 Kerevi
13 McMahon

14 Wilson
15 Philip
16 Samu
17 Stewart

I have basically ruled out all front towers except for Tupou who has the leg speed and mobility to survive a game of league. In my eyes any player without mobility would be easily exposed with the extra space given to players in league, this ruled out almost all locks and front rowers.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I actually think a one-off would be really interesting to watch before I die.

How much time are we talking about? If we do it once for Joe do we ever have to do it again?

My gripe with the entire idea.

• Rugby has to change the most.
  • No flankers
  • de-powered scrum
  • No lineouts.
  • The NRL media and there cheerleading.
I'm sure I can think of more.

Samson

Chris McKivat (8)
If a cross code contest is proposed then i assume the proponents wish to see which code is superior. Lets have a world cup format- Wallabies vs Kangaroos, Ab's vs Kiwis, Springbok vs Saffa 13,
England vs North England, Wales 15 vs Wales 13 etc. Rules to be agreed between World Rugby and whatever international organisation League can muster.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wouldnt this just be a Wallaby 13 playing League? you could hardly expect league players to suddenly upskill and learn to scrum and lineout.

In other words, the Wallabies would get fucking humped and NRL fanboys would be banging on about it for the rest of time.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
There was a game a year or so back with Randwick playing the Magpies in a hybrid game. I didn’t attend, had some variations where the team played union in the defensive half and league on attack, or vice versa. Can’t imagine it would’ve be that good to watch, like 10s union or 9s league. Anyone on here go?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The only reason you hold this is to watch freaky athletes run at each other. It’d be pretty entertaining watching Thor crash into the defensive line with a 10m wind up.

I’d also be interested in whether some of the League forwards showed any sort of promise as a union forward. Payne Haas is a ridiculous athlete but how does he go when he’s not just trucking it forward.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How much time are we talking about? If we do it once for Joe do we ever have to do it again?

My gripe with the entire idea.

• Rugby has to change the most.
  • No flankers
  • de-powered scrum
  • No lineouts.
  • The NRL media and there cheerleading.
I'm sure I can think of more.
Dog-rooting. Pissing in own mouth. Poo in the shoe.
These are hurdles that would need to be leapt.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Ha! I'm easily outnumbered. And I can see there are some good reasons not to pursue it. The way they play it would have to be carefully thought out. But I thought the game between St Augustine's and Keebra Part State High in 2011 got the balance pretty much right and was widely praised. Basically the attacking team plays league within their own half, and union when they get into the opposition's half. The union boys won a close contest.

It might not work as an ongoing spectacle, but would be a very appealing one-off game for spectators. The purpose of it as well as some of the highlights of that game I mentioned can be found here:

http://hybridrugby.com

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It might not work as an ongoing spectacle, but would be a very appealing one-off game for spectators. The purpose of it as well as some of the highlights of that game I mentioned can be found here:

http://hybridrugby.com

There's a good reason why it might be appealing as a game between amateurs, as in that schools fixture. Not least because some of the players will have experience playing the other code, plus they are not playing for cattle stations, just for fun.

It would be a totally different situation at the senior level. I can just see the rugby team using the rolling maul incessantly in their own half, and then kicking high and hoping. The leaguies would never win the ball at the breakdown in their attacking half.

Scrums and lineouts in the rugby defensive half would be a shambles, lots of penalites.

Not for me, thanks.