• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And now we've hit over 2000 cases by the looks - we are coming back into a 3-day doubling period at a rate of knots (cruise ship speed joke purely intentional)

EDIT: 3-day doubling puts us at 10,000 by 31st March

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And now we've hit over 2000 cases by the looks - we are coming back into a 3-day doubling period at a rate of knots (cruise ship speed joke purely intentional)

Time to lock this mother down. No in between measures. If we're on that trajectory there's no point dragging things out anymore.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Possible to add a trendline mapping the change over time in the percentage of tests returning positive if you create another chart? Might help to distill whether we're getting higher infection numbers because we're testing more (more latent cases in the community than expected) or because infection rates are increasing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Possible to add a trendline mapping the change over time in the percentage of tests returning positive if you create another chart? Might help to distill whether we're getting higher infection numbers because we're testing more (more latent cases in the community than expected) or because infection rates are increasing.

Ah good point - don't have test numbers from that site - only confirmed infections. Would need to reset all data to include number of tests.

You're on the money tho IMHO. Only way to have accelerated case identification is accelerated testing.

Russia, for example, is reporting fuck all.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ah good point - don't have test numbers from that site - only confirmed infections. Would need to reset all data to include number of tests.

You're on the money tho IMHO. Only way to have accelerated case identification is accelerated testing.

Russia, for example, is reporting fuck all.

Today it was stated that we have perfromed 147k tests nationally with at that time a touch over 1800 positive results. A rate of 1.2%. The lowest in the world. Though, I'm pretty sure that's doubled recently. So.........

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Time to lock this mother down. No in between measures. If we're on that trajectory there's no point dragging things out anymore.

I don't think we need to pull the ultimate trigger just yet. We haven't seen what the current measures have done to curve the infection rate and the poor management of the cruiser has done nothing to let us know whether any of the voluntary social distancing has helped. (Perhaps Trumpy was right on not letting that Cruiser dock in the States last month ;)).

Unfortunately its just a wait and see for the next week or two unless there's a huge spike.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think we need to pull the ultimate trigger just yet. We haven't seen what the current measures have done to curve the infection rate and the poor management of the cruiser has done nothing to let us know whether any of the voluntary social distancing has helped. (Perhaps Trumpy was right on not letting that Cruiser dock in the States last month ;)).

Unfortunately its just a wait and see for the next week or two unless there's a huge spike.
They start the partial lockdown from midday Monday and not even a day in they’re blaming the people for not complying so they’re going to make the measures stronger? What a load of bullshit.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There's a lot at stake here. If my business were to shut for six months, there's no way in the world I could keep paying all my staff. I bet I'm in a similar position to most small businesses.

On another matter, my brother-in-law has been stuck in Japan, who have one of the best track records so far for controlling this thing. He made the comment that, as a culture, they just don't touch each other much. They tend to just greet with a little bow or nod of the head, and keep a distance when talking. The French and the Italians, on the other hand, are all over each other. We sit somewhere in between, and interestingly the stats reflect all that. I know there are many factors at play, but I think that may be one of them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Taiwan have the right approach - ban all flights from the epicentre as soon as a problem became apparent.

But they've got a spiky relationship with China in general :)

Unfortunately the evidence is that lag time for presentation of symptoms (if any) could be as long as a week, and so waiting for a big spike means a far longer curve, flattened or otherwise. That means more issues with the economy over a longer period.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

You're not being serious right? We are seeing that spike right now. That's not an exaggeration . Look at the data.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jesus wept.

Who voted Liberal in that deadshit's electorate? That presser was about as incomprehensible as Sunday's.

My favourite: no gatherings of people outside of 10 or more. Directly countermanding the "Personal training outdoors maximum 10 people with 1.5m distancing"

OMFG.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
From 4 years ago by Bill Gates and is quiet prophetic.

Unfortunately the outbreak was in a totalitarian communist country who would have refused help and we know hid the facts and failed to act on or learn from the original SARS outbreak.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I bit disappointing to turn this into a political discussion, I think we had a thread for that somewhere, and this isn't it

Would you like to learn a dirty little secret of mine? I actually think NSW State Libs are actually the better party to lead this state and haven't done that bad if a job. I may have even put them down as no.2 on my ballet at the last state election.

But they are a different beast to the Federal Coalition which is a bunch of morally corrupt, backwards oriented gaggle of fools. Who forced through a survey on marriage equality even though it was obvious from a dozen previous polls what that outcome was, insist on punishing people in welfare for the very crime of needing to be in welfare by refusing to met basic CPI increases in their allowance, are pissing away millions new BMW's that will save $100k a year as opposed to buying the much cheaper Toyota hybrids in greater numbers instead that would save a great deal more, deny science and fact around climate change and energy developments and use public funds in a manner that is borderline criminal to buy votes.

And maybe I'm a little frustrated as I've just had to settle my mother down over the phone as she's currently terrified to go into work. Why? Because the restrictions of 4 sqm and 30 mins per client are impossible to manage as a Hairdresser and she risks direct exposure to people in close proxmity on a daily basis.