• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I fully understand that this is not the time to complain and that there is still great uncertainty as to how QPR20 ultimately plays out but under the current proposal I understand that there are no semis just a straight out GF between 1&2. I'd like to see a two week final series knockout 1v4 & 2v3 in first weekend.

What's another week in the scheme of things?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ I think the issue is it will run into something else's timeslot.

Would have been NRC season, is that meant to be on this year?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Uni of Sydney front frower tested positive to CoronaVirius from last weekend, sensible decision to close down club rugby.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/5ed457cd7b266fc72a3503b167c48b17.

If u can't read due to subscription issue just read my top line. Nothing much else to say.
Yep , all UQ lads who played last Sat now in 14 days quarantine.

Can’t run a comp with that happening. Contact sports don’t really fit the social distancing recommendations.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
To everyone proud of the fact that this forum has effectively shut down.

Further I think that RA/QRU acted promptly, responsibly and appropriately - unlike the selfish somewhat resistant attitude of other codes who put their interests ahead of the rest of the community.

Take care everyone.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder what the impacts may be when everything resets ?

First thoughts are somewhat contradictory , in that , on one hand it is probably pretty reasonable that you will see a big player drop off just for the fact that a lot of guys will simply have to concentrate on work and finding work - and committing to that and so just won't be around.

Then in the short to mid term you may also see a player influx of competition and or club failures across different codes and / or continents that may swell the numbers - but more likely at the top of the ranks that puts further pressure on player payments or those vying to break through as pro footballers

Does the much needed stimulus spending across all layers of government finally green light The Ballymore Precinct ?

I used the word "Precinct" deliberately here as well , in that , smarter codes are sharing codes - including sharing the efficiency of public spending that benefit many and all

Without wanting to stick the slipper in when things are pretty fucked but the way that NRL and AFL (but particularly NRL ) have siloed their self interests , in their language and their actions , has been as revealing as it has been tone deaf and on the nose in the extreme. Again , the AFL and their representatives not on the same level as the NRL - but still very inward focused in what is a issue that effects everyone.

Anyway .....it's all ahead of us

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
GPS President Anthony Herbert emailed all members yesterday with an update, essentially saying May 2nd is still an option to start the competition again and reinforcing that rugby has been post-poned and not cancelled for 2020.

I think that is a bit optimistic, but no one really knows. It's totally possible that once Aus goes into essentially full lock down from next week, we could see things clear up over the course of a month. But as people have pointed out, with no real training happening, I can't see teams being ready to go before they get at least 2-3 weeks of mini pre-season as well.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Even one round starting in July plus modified finals would be a good fall back position, if things are still iffy after Easter for a 2nd May start.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
GPS President Anthony Herbert emailed all members yesterday with an update, essentially saying May 2nd is still an option to start the competition again and reinforcing that rugby has been post-poned and not cancelled for 2020.

I think that is a bit optimistic, but no one really knows. It's totally possible that once Aus goes into essentially full lock down from next week, we could see things clear up over the course of a month. But as people have pointed out, with no real training happening, I can't see teams being ready to go before they get at least 2-3 weeks of mini pre-season as well.

Jeeps sound like they are on a Trump style timeline

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

I love Herbie's optimism but as Daryl Kerrigan says in The Castle "tell him he's dreaming".

If we are lucky enough to have club rugby this year I think it will be one round and finals.

Play a normal finals series at club grounds and just the GFs at Ballymore in order to get some $$ back into the clubs.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Have heard season can still be played in some form if started by early Sept.

Would overlap the start of cricket season , so might be a struggle for clubs that share grounds , but I know what I would prefer to watch.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
QRL just cancelled all comps for 2020, not postponed. Not a great sign for club rugby.

Beg to differ Phil.

Think they are canceling their competition this premature because of the massive overheads associated with payer playments etc and no funding from NRL feeder clubs.

Every other league seems to be doing delays (usually in 1 month intervals) so to cancel a season before it even starts and many potential rounds/weeks/months left on the calander is a bit perplexing.

I expect to see rugby league players down at rugby union training when our season finally kicks off.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Beg to differ Phil.

Think they are canceling their competition this premature because of the massive overheads associated with payer playments etc and no funding from NRL feeder clubs.

Every other league seems to be doing delays (usually in 1 month intervals) so to cancel a season before it even starts and many potential rounds/weeks/months left on the calander is a bit perplexing.

I expect to see rugby league players down at rugby union training when our season finally kicks off.

Agree with you mate on those points, but aside from the financial aspects I think the QRL have made the call based on the logistics on getting a competition setup in what will be a very tight timeframe.

Even when the COVID-19 outbreak is contained, it will still be months (estimated 12 months from time of this post) before a vaccine will be readily available for distribution. Until that time, I can’t see clubs being given the green light to resume training. Gathering that many people in one place for training 2-3 times a week will be deemed a risk. If we look at what other sports both here in Australia and globally are doing at professional level, the advice seems to be that if they are to resume, it will be without spectators. I order for the clubs get claw back any sort of lost income for 2020 they are going to need people at the games. If this isn’t an option then they may look to save those running costs and start again in 2021.

Also the longer this goes on, the longer teams will need to have another ‘pre-season’. It would be negligent to alllw players to take the field again without at least 3-4 weeks of team training and maybe a trial game or two, which further delays the start of the actual season. I’m usually very much a glass half full guy but I think the QRL have done the right thing by getting on the front foot here and looking to 2021 as a realistic time when footy will return.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think it is getting increasingly unlikely that there will be any Senior or Junior rugby played in 2020 and it is going to be a nightmare when it comes to refunds.

You would have thought that given we were a week away from the kick off to senior rugby that there would have been a fair percentage of players who had paid their registrations.

The process of payments is that it filters through RA - they collect it all take their cut (incl. Insurance), give the QRU their cut and balance is paid to the clubs.

One wonders whether RA administered the payments to the clubs given the impact of COVID-19 was looming.

Who does the refund do the clubs pay it back to RA and they refund the players or do the clubs and RA/QRU independently refund the players?

See what I mean!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Well the first two rounds of the Hospital Cup have been crackers. Still dirty Uni got up over us in Rd 1 :mad:

A fantastic idea from the QRU, Jay and Sauce bringing it.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I see posts today confirming that all senior and junior rugby has been postponed until at least June 1.

I think its time to cut the cord and allow clubs to think of measures to prepare and recover in 2021. No matter the length of any competition this year, it won't cover anywhere near the costs they need to recoup, they need to be pooling their resources elsewhere rather than holding out for a miracle season to start.