• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not sure there is any value in that FP.

I think it’s a wonderful acknowledgement in junior age groups, particularly at the end of carnivals, but I don’t see any real value for pro athletes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It's a shame that our young players don't get this development year. Our young fly halves could really do with the time to mature a full cycle out from the cup. Now they have one year less for 2023.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's a shame that our young players don't get this development year. Our young fly halves could really do with the time to mature a full cycle out from the cup. Now they have one year less for 2023.

On the good side, they also have the opportunity to do a lot of strength and fitness work without the chance of being injured. They can also do a helluva lot of skills work. Rennie (if he can get in!) will not be forced to rush things, he can spend a lot of time getting to know the players, and teaching them how he wants them to play, without the pressure of internationals hanging over them.

Nup. I am glass half-full on this.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Does this perhaps mean we will be seeing a lot more wallaby and Super Rugby involvement in the NRC teams? Surely they will need as much conditioning as possible, and will not have earnt a rest, if Super Rugby doesn't get back under way.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
On the good side, they also have the opportunity to do a lot of strength and fitness work without the chance of being injured. They can also do a helluva lot of skills work. Rennie (if he can get in!) will not be forced to rush things, he can spend a lot of time getting to know the players, and teaching them how he wants them to play, without the pressure of internationals hanging over them.

Nup. I am glass half-full on this.

I agree. And McReight can transition to hooker

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Goes alright though considering all those commentators on here who were so quick to speak of his shortcomings.

The GPS program, into U20s, has really shortened the distance between schools and the pro's.
Cool for Harry, bit surprised Matt Gibbon managed to pull 1% of the vote. Must have some supporters who are good on the keyboard.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I was surprised by some of the votes too. But Rugby.com.au picked their ‘Australian Super Rugby XV’ first and then only guys from that side were eligible to be voted on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Matt Gibbon has been excellent for the last couple of years. He'll be a Wallaby squad member soon enough (acknowledging he trained with them last year)

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Does this perhaps mean we will be seeing a lot more wallaby and Super Rugby involvement in the NRC teams? Surely they will need as much conditioning as possible, and will not have earnt a rest, if Super Rugby doesn't get back under way.

Can not for the life of me see the NRC go ahead. The Super Rugby Australian games need to be played for broadcast and club rugby will be wanting to play in this period by the look of things.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just curious how Beale and DHP are both top 4 paid players, when they play the same position. Is DHP new deal reflective of Beales ending, therefore only minimal crossover? Did Beales contract overlap with Folaus? Still - another, if not the highest, of the highest paid players playing in the same position......

Next target for the RA warchest targeting young players needs to be a centre.

After Tk, the next best is Paisami who a few months ago was a nobody. Hunt is ageing out, Meakes not too far behind, Simone just starting to become solid at Super Rugby, and the U20 options are now either playing 10, (Lolosio) or Tupou who is showing nothing of being the next TK, Kerevi or even Paisami. Doesn't help that Moeroa has been a dud at the Tahs also.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just curious how Beale and DHP are both top 4 paid players, when they play the same position. Is DHP new deal reflective of Beales ending, therefore only minimal crossover? Did Beales contract overlap with Folaus? Still - another, if not the highest, of the highest paid players playing in the same position..
Next target for the RA warchest targeting young players needs to be a centre.

DHP's contract was signed in early 2019 for 2 years (2020 and 2021).

Beale's contract was signed in mid 2019 after Folau's exit for one more year (2020). He was definitely the beneficiary of Folau's exit including getting the keys to Folau's Land Rover.