• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Dr Nick Coatsworth , this morning , advised that ventilated ICU beds have been increased from 2,200 to 4,400 in just 6 weeks (things like anaesthetic equipment being re-purposed) - there are another 500 being delivered this week and the goal is to get to 7,500

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dr Nick Coatsworth , this morning , advised that ventilated ICU beds have been increased from 2,200 to 4,400 in just 6 weeks (things like anaesthetic equipment being re-purposed) - there are another 500 being delivered this week and the goal is to get to 7,500

not just vents and beds needed, "trained" nurses to staff them and most importantly proper PPE - which is in short and diminishing supply. heres hoping we have enough of everything.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
..................some experts warn there may be a significant increase in the next fortnight due to recent arrivals by plane and boat testing positive.......

.......and, with all due respect to the sensible ones, fuckwit backpackers and their beach parties. We were all young and bullet-proof once, but can't these clowns understand the significance of this situation?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Dr Nick Coatsworth actually does address PPE in the full transcript of his interview which is on the Government Coronavirus App.

A million masks were delivered today and 2.4M last week

National stockpile stated in the 10M's now

Also
Federal Health Minister , Greg Hunt (DELETED - not necessary) also announcing today a $1.3B deal that will add 34,000 "beds and chairs" to the public system and 105,000 staff including 57,000 nurses/midwives will be deployed to treat patients

Source :7News

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
..and, with all due respect to the sensible ones, fuckwit backpackers and their beach parties. We were all young and bullet-proof once, but can't these clowns understand the significance of this situation?

I do find it interesting that the media and politicians are quick to refer to young people on the beach and in Bondi bars but make no reference to age when talking about cruise ship passengers.

The average passenger coming off the Ruby Princess is right in the age range for being most at risk of COVID-19. They chose to go on a cruise on the 8th of March in the middle of a pandemic. We spent most of February hearing reports of the stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship not being allowed to disembark anywhere because it was riddled with COVID-19 cases.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I do find it interesting that the media and politicians are quick to refer to young people on the beach and in Bondi bars but make no reference to age when talking about cruise ship passengers.

The average passenger coming off the Ruby Princess is right in the age range for being most at risk of COVID-19. They chose to go on a cruise on the 8th of March in the middle of a pandemic. We spent most of February hearing reports of the stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship not being allowed to disembark anywhere because it was riddled with COVID-19 cases.

They generally don't get travel insurance when they're past a certain age, so maybe they thought they'd chance it and enjoy their floating pokies bar before it all went haywire rather than losing the cash.

FWIW I'd love to see those floating pollution vectors scuttled. What a sham.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

They don't want to bad mouth their voting base!

Hell, the Costa Victoria left Italy last week with over 300 Aussie's on it and are now bitching for the Government to save their sorry arses - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...d-19-positive-passenger-or-disembark-in-italy

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The handling of the cruise ship situation and the seeming blithe indifference of passengers (who as BH says are right in the cross-hairs of this thing) boarding during a crisis is the thing I'm angriest about. How much easier would our response this pandemic be if we'd done something different with those ships?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well thank you anyway DC and thanks Dr Wordley

From 6.30am Monday to 6.30am this morning ( the 31st ) only a 6.50% growth in daily infection rate (266 New confirmed cases to 4,359 confirmed cases )

The next week is critical as you more fully assume of absorption of things like the Ruby Princess fuck up and non enforced quarantine of returning travellers etc - and of course , the effect of Stage 3 across the States ( 2 weeks on ) and better individual practices and habits

Yep, next couple of weeks will either see us through the worst or cases take off again, but the portents are OK at the moment.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I had assumed all these cruises had been floating around for months. What numpties.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It doesn't make much sense that China managed to get away with only 81k odd cases when countries with better health infrastructure are getting reamed. Either they are cooking those numbers or they have some kind of treatment they aren't sharing?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It doesn't make much sense that China managed to get away with only 81k odd cases when countries with better health infrastructure are getting reamed. Either they are cooking those numbers or they have some kind of treatment they aren't sharing?

I suspect they only reported the severe cases. Potentially even only the ciritical ones. But let's assume it's the severe. That would put their actual reported cases above 400k. And many times more mild to asymptomatic cases.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wow, how good is transparency. Puts all other countries to shame. Don't think we'll see any other country's white papers like this.

Yeah. I'd have really liked to have seen similar from our goverment early on. It does allude to it being based of our modelling so you could use much of what features in the NZ paper and apply it to our population.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As of 1645 hours today we breached 7% case growth which is OK in the big scheme but kind of sucks given we were heading downward.

Hopefully we stick under 9% which was Sunday's number.