• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I go to work every day, just me and the receptionist, I've sent everyone else home.
I'm pretty please I am actually, some of my staff are really battling with working from home.
I guess they'll get better at it, but we humans are by nature a social animal, and seeing no-one but your family day after day is pretty tough.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
FUCK no.

I get to learn shit at a rate accelerated by the lack of meetings and/or numpties asking me questions all day. I'm clocking more hours than I would if I had to get up, dress business, drive to the office, find a desk, make small talk with people for whom I give zero (perhaps negative) fucks, and pretend that any of this is about "optics" rather than just actually getting work done and making/saving money.

This is paradise!

My mental health right now is the best it has been in ages. When I go back to the office after all this shit dies down is when I'm in danger.

I will need a graduated return to work plan.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah I'm at home. As the official coffee bitch of the office, I suddenly have a lot more free time. Being the office shitkicker is only bad if they can get to you :rolleyes:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Day 21 Scoreboard for Thursday 2nd April (8:00pm data):
5,136 total Australian confirmed cases.
272 new
+6% single day increase.
TODAY WE STAYED ON THE CURVE

+7% daily increase (rolling 3 day average)​
91347110_10108149929248321_3599776695399219200_o.jpg
92004691_10108149929328161_7268333826005270528_o.jpg
91588417_10108149929373071_1219196006785089536_o.jpg
91783671_10108149929427961_8068443841922859008_o.jpg
91366150_10108149929487841_2307196512322453504_o.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If the figure for today stays at 5136, the last few days case growth look like this:

29/03 - 9.45%
30/03 - 6.68%
31/03 - 7.32%
01/04 - 6.64%
02/04 - 5.59%

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Out of curiosity: who here is still actually going into work everyday?

After the initial scare from China re the coronavirus in January I've had one, yes, ONE, order for wine since. Restaurants, pubs and bars started turning to shit immediately after Chinese New Year in late January. Lindommer junior is a manager at one of Neil Perry's swish Sydney restaurants, they experienced a major downturn in business then and have since closed.

On the other hand, Her Majesty is an essential worker at one of Sydney's major hospitals and still trundles off to work every day. But, yer man has done his bit to set up a home office for her, which seems to be looming.

One of Phillip Adams' correspondents from Britain commented the loo paper stampede in March was silly, he reckoned what we really needed in isolation was a goodish stack of interesting books to read and a decent supply of wine to drink. Can't disagree.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I feel bad for the crew. They’re generally quite poor workers from the Phillipines, Ukraine, Indonesia etc. Who are getting paid fuck all to be abused by rich senile pricks with no manners. I can’t imagine they have much in the way of savings or healthcare.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Eight cruise ships with only crew aboard (none of them Australian) refusing to leave NSW waters:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/120785018/cruise-ships-refuse-to-leave-australia

I can understand the reluctance to have them disembark after the Ruby Princess debacle but I'd have thought there's an obligation to at least quarantine them somewhere suitable for the duration?

I would have more sympathy if these ships weren't running around under flags of convenience and the companies are paying no tax via the Bahamas somewhere

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I can understand the reluctance to have them disembark after the Ruby Princess debacle but I'd have thought there's an obligation to at least quarantine them somewhere suitable for the duration?

I'm more than happy to help out the workers and stranded non-Australian passengers for Cruise's that left knowing full the shit show the globe was facing. Surely the owners of these ships who circumvent global tax laws would stump up the cost for us to house, feed and care for these workers? Otherwise, we'll secure the cruiser and sell it back to the company to recoup the cost.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The U.S. Coast Guard has directed cruise ships to prepare to treat any sick passengers and crew on board while being sequestered “indefinitely” offshore during the coronavirus pandemic.

The new rules outlined in a memo are required for ships in the district that covers Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Puerto Rico. They also come with a stiff warning: Any foreign-flagged vessels “that loiter beyond U.S. territorial seas” should try first to medically evacuate the very sick to those countries instead.

https://apnews.com/564c86d2b78a6e1b1f0be7451848635a

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A lot of commentators, who would normally be supportive of helping foreign nationals, have been bashing the government for not going into full lockdown for the past 3 weeks so it is hard for them to turn around and advocate for the staff to be brought onshore and risk community infection. The result is Morrison has basically no political pressure to help them at all.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Heaps of stories of rich white folks unable to cross international borders in order to escape a calamity outside of their control.

In a "just" world they'd be locked on a tropical island indefinitely, along with their kids.

*heavy, heavy sarcasm

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our premier has been quarantining returned Aussies on Rottnest island. Great idea. He's also been trying to get these big ships pushed out of our waters, with varying success. I'm OK with helping the crew out as they're mostly Indonesians and Filipinos who we can put on planes. The captains and other crews and get refueled, restocked and GTFO.