• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How much do you think they should have paid, and are you confident they would have found strong candidates in that pay bracket?

I haven’t looked at this in depth - but if I take your point that her salary is in line with other sports then they paid the going rate.
I'm advocating for RA to bust the "market rate" model and pay only $150,000 p.a.
That way we would get people who are in it for the love of the game not the salary.
Out of the 200 applicants when RC was chosen, I'm confident many would fir that criteria and others would come out of the woodwork.
The "market rate" model was one loved by the banking industry of which so many of our Board members are an integral part. It hasn't worked.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Only one side keeps bringing up Folau.
To be fair Sully, the Folau matter is news today because the RA annual report and media releases mention it.

All revenue targets were met, however Rugby AU’s operating expenditure increased by $6.6 million in 2019 across Community Rugby (increased grants), High Performance (player payments), Marketing and Corporate expenses (including legal costs and the settlement of the Israel Folau matter). Rugby AU reported to its Members a provisional $9.4 million operating defecit for 2019 pending final audit.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I'd like to know the point at which 'playing for your State' became 'playing for your local franchise'

It permeates down as well. I can say we have 16 year old shopping themselves around clubs/schools (or their parents at least) for the best offer that will get them best positioned on the 'pathway'. For me, it's like "WTF'???

If Mr CV brings something, it's hopefully a values-reset

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
To be fair Sully, the Folau matter is news today because the RA annual report and media releases mention it.

All revenue targets were met, however Rugby AU’s operating expenditure increased by $6.6 million in 2019 across Community Rugby (increased grants), High Performance (player payments), Marketing and Corporate expenses (including legal costs and the settlement of the Israel Folau matter). Rugby AU reported to its Members a provisional $9.4 million operating defecit for 2019 pending final audit.

If only their shit had started today. But it didn't.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
its cruel and unusual punishment having to hear the same argument ad nauseum

X5AZOo0h00Qj629SXXjA8v34BfCWNgGdzp6wATgHr3grVXh9krfRO9QORsw8lrGGdzeN8HpbY8gvQ5_kdp5rfCpbo3_QikbOvKtb9RySnRW2PbsB6CzrZvE4W6fVxqAAN_lHtz1szqmwYm6JcYsjxPMOlSpGBVqpLwdkVhGX-eWEnk4j9dJ9Rd5OraSSRbTmF8r-60Rxe3YiCRmv1o6aOg9SsZqXyqms9NxJ_Id7kNYs

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I heard today that NSW might be lifting social distancing by end of June

Reasons to be cheerful, part 3?

If they go back to allowing modest gatherings of <500 then club rugby will be back (apart from the Marlins of course) and the Tahs will be back in business!

:)

??Did I miss something

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd like to know the point at which 'playing for your State' became 'playing for your local franchise'

It permeates down as well. I can say we have 16 year old shopping themselves around clubs/schools (or their parents at least)tes for the best offer that will get them best positioned on the 'pathway'. For me, it's like "WTF'???

If Mr CV brings something, it's hopefully a values-reset

Thats a 2 way street. I thinks the States went looking for talent in other states first.

Once the states started that, it became open slather.

They all want a professional opportunity and they are very scarce, they are thankful to play where they are given the opportunity.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Thats a 2 way street. I thinks the States went looking for talent in other states first.

Once the states started that, it became open slather.

They all want a professional opportunity and they are very scarce, they are thankful to play where they are given the opportunity.

That may be true and fair about the boys

Doesn't seem like a particularly good or sensible way to run a pathway though.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Only one side keeps bringing up Folau.
Be pretty hard to comment on Raelene's tenure without giving reference to the Folau situation and how she handled it.

People wading in to criticise that position can only refute using their perspective of the specifics of the case to justify why she did/didn't handle it properly.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Be pretty hard to comment on Raelene's tenure without giving reference to the Folau situation and how she handled it.

why cant people just use a bit of maturity and discretion and say "I think she handled it well/I think she handled it poorly, but acknowledge that others have a different opinion on here",

there is absolutely no need to incite arguments with comments like 'woke sponsors'

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Has anyone actually read the report or just reading whatever press releases/journos are telling us? I've had a look on both RA's website + pressers and can't find the actual report itself.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm advocating for RA to bust the "market rate" model and pay only $150,000 p.a.
That way we would get people who are in it for the love of the game not the salary.
Out of the 200 applicants when RC was chosen, I'm confident many would fir that criteria and others would come out of the woodwork.
The "market rate" model was one loved by the banking industry of which so many of our Board members are an integral part. It hasn't worked.

oh my....what a proposal....you're not on a club rugby committee are you?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well I don't think my opinion will be popular then.
I also support paying the PM and cabinet ministers market rates, I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. I just don't think the love of the job compensates enough for all the additional pressure and stresses that are expected of people in key positions in our society. Just read some of the vile comments posted on social media about individuals.

I laughed at one of the NRL players commenting the other day that the NRL CEO should be taking a pay cut as big/greater then the players. I get the lead by example mentality, but also I believe that you get paid for your output. And a NRL player not playing isn't producing a whole lot of output, whereas a CEO's role now is more critical than ever.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
why cant people just use a bit of maturity and discretion and say "I think she handled it well/I think she handled it poorly, but acknowledge that others have a different opinion on here",

there is absolutely no need to incite arguments with comments like 'woke sponsors'
Why does anyone have to add the statement "but I acknowledge others hold a different opinion"? Why, specifically, is that being mature?

Maturity is understanding that others think differently in the first place. Having to state that in order to protect someone's feelings indicates where the lack of maturity actually is.

OT: Confirmation bias is a very powerful force, and it is well and truly in action with regards to RC's tenure.

There is zero point in discussing some issues as a result of that.