• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
:)

Just watched a great movie by the way. 'Knives Out' with Daniel Craig. Can recommend it!

Kearnsy built up a financial planning business and sold it a few years ago for $25m or so.

Compelling?

B

Bobby Sands

:)

Just watched a great movie by the way. 'Knives Out' with Daniel Craig. Can recommend it!

Kearnsy built up a financial planning business and sold it a few years ago for $25m or so.

Compelling?

Written/directed by Rian Johnson, one of the sharpest minds in film. Haven't had a chance to watch yet.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
genuinely, what are his business credentials?

He was a reasonably successful sales guy at a recruiter. Then (a bit later) set up his own business which he sold for good money.

Almost everyone locally has a good word to say about him.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
No, but he's excellent at financial planning.

Could be useful right now, no?

Amirite?
Well, it can be hard to tell from the outside.

He was at Centric Wealth going back 5 or 6 years ago; a couple years in the CEO role. Centric had South African origins and it wasn't particularly surprising to see a few rugby names brought into the Sydney HQ. Kearns as boss became their face of the operation and link man for the backers. That kind of role is an important part of the wealth management business but I'd say the financial planning gets handled in the back office.

Like you say, some history in sales … but what rugby really needs is someone who can steer through a major reset.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Compelling?
No.

Be wary of confirmation bias.

Defenders of the present CEO have, rightly, been pointing out claims that don't pass a fact check. Was the same process applied here?

Well, he also lost $50m in a DHA property fund, had the AFP investigate misappropriation of funds; https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...andrew-mehrtens-winds-up-20160401-gnw2dn.html

The fund started with an investment value of $47.1 million in late 2013. Centric was bought out by Findex soon after and Kearns departed.

The company decided to realise their investment early based on a view the residential market had peaked and wound up the fund, selling the properties.

Was the investment wiped out - how does a lost $50m arise?

B

Bobby Sands

No.

Be wary of confirmation bias.

Defenders of the present CEO have, rightly, been pointing out claims that don't pass a fact check. Was the same process applied here?

The fund started with an investment value of $47.1 million in late 2013. Centric was bought out by Findex soon after and Kearns departed.

The company decided to realise their investment early based on a view the residential market had peaked and wound up the fund, selling the properties.

Was the investment wiped out - how does a lost $50m arise?

From my reading they didn't lose it at all, they closed the fund and were looking to sell the properties privately.

It's hard to lose $50m investing in property that is already built.

It's not like they were developing something and ran into operations costs issues or lack of interest and had to return monies. They simply wrapped the fund in the form that it existed.

That is my reading of it anyhow.

I am also in no way advocating Kearns for the role, far from it in fact.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yep.

And I'm not thrillled if Kearns gets in. Can't see much support outside of Sydney either.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)