• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m happy that part of Australian rugby looks like it will come through this intact. Good for WA and the Force Fans.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t find the article offensive.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was saving my one unwatched Aussie game of the year (Force vs Valke) until I needed a hit of rugby. It came last night lol.

I knew the result prior but was interested to see some young Aussie talent running around.

Byron Ralston was great, looks to have put on some size in the off season. Will be interesting to track his progress in the coming years.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Back on track

April 8, 2020
Creative thinking and innovative use of technology has allowed the Western Force to work their minds and their bodies while maintaining critical social distance measures.

Outsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
I follow both the Reds and the Force on social media - I've got to say I impressed with the Force boys and their positive outlook during COVID-19. Not saying Reds aren't positive but the posts & videos from the Force show them in a great light.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force player skill tips.

Ian Prior

Brad Lacey

The Western Force player group is still working on fitness and skill development for 5 x half-days per week.

In the 2nd half of the day they are involved in community activities which have included:
  • Unloading flights of PPE organised by Minderoo Foundation.
  • With partners, helping to deliver community meals sponsored by Minderoo Foundation and provided by Fremantle Restaurants.
  • Engaging with young fans to answer any questions they may have.
Keep up the good work lads.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force ready to make a lasting impression

Brittany Mitchell - ESPN - 7 May 2020

With Super Rugby suspended and unlikely to return in 2020, RA, alongside its three SANZAAR partners, is looking for ways to kick-start rugby action in their respective regions. Despite a SANZAAR release on Monday that declared talk of breakaway competitions as little more than "speculation," an Australian domestic league or a trans-Tasman competition are the popular solutions for Rugby Australia's road out of the COVID-19 crisis.

The Force's inclusion in an Australian domestic league has all but been confirmed.

Sampson wants his side to prove West Australian rugby deserves a spot at the top provincial table.

"Rugby's such a great game to unite people and it is a national game. It's very strong over here; very strong participation numbers through the juniors, there's still a lot of interest through the members. We need positive news in rugby at the moment, especially in Australian rugby, I think there's so much good that can happen and I think this is part of it."

Read more......

A well considered article.

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Clarificiation

May 12, 2020
Update: The following statement was provided to media outlets today in relation to a proposed 2020 domestic rugby competition. Force fans and members will be provided news of any developments as soon as possible.
In response to a number of recent reports surrounding the Western Force’s return to a proposed Australian domestic rugby competition this year, Global Rapid Rugby (GRR) Chief Executive Mark Evans has made the following statement.
“GRR has not to date received a formal invitation for participation of the Western Force in any proposed 2020 Australian domestic competition. There may be some interest on our part, but to suggest that the Western Force has agreed to participate is inaccurate.
Until any invitation, with full details of the competition arrangements, is forthcoming and has been agreed to by GRR, we will continue to review a range of playing options for the remainder of 2020 and beyond.”

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So don't play and sit on your hands for the season ffs

You think that's what they're saying?

Read the thread or the last few posts again, OK here is a snap shot of the merry-go-round for you.

RA announces a 5 team comp including WA.
WA says wtf, about time you provided an invite.
Suspicious fans, having been down this road before go "check the detail".

If ever there was a time we might be a little more understanding of the west it is now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You think that's what they're saying?

Read the thread or the last few posts again, OK here is a snap shot of the merry-go-round for you.

RA announces a 5 team comp including WA.
WA says wtf, about time you provided an invite.
Suspicious fans, having been down this road before go "check the detail".

If ever there was a time we might be a little more understanding of the west it is now.

have they?

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Clarificiation

May 12, 2020
Update: The following statement was provided to media outlets today in relation to a proposed 2020 domestic rugby competition. Force fans and members will be provided news of any developments as soon as possible.
In response to a number of recent reports surrounding the Western Force’s return to a proposed Australian domestic rugby competition this year, Global Rapid Rugby (GRR) Chief Executive Mark Evans has made the following statement.
“GRR has not to date received a formal invitation for participation of the Western Force in any proposed 2020 Australian domestic competition. There may be some interest on our part, but to suggest that the Western Force has agreed to participate is inaccurate.
Until any invitation, with full details of the competition arrangements, is forthcoming and has been agreed to by GRR, we will continue to review a range of playing options for the remainder of 2020 and beyond.”

Does anyone else get the impression from that statement by Evans that part of him is enjoying the prospect of watching RA squirm, just a little bit?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Does anyone else get the impression from that statement by Evans that part of him is enjoying the prospect of watching RA squirm, just a little bit?

I understand what you are saying, but look, I hope not. Those guys in RA are fragile, posturing only works as a one way street for them.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I understand what you are saying, but look, I hope not. Those guys in RA are fragile, posturing only works as a one way street for them.

Yeah, in all seriousness I expect all parties would be more professional than that. After all, I gather that what's being talked about is a stopgap to ensure something gets played while our borders are shut and competitions around the world are ceased - hopefully a state that won't last beyond this year.

Beyond that, though ...

Would the Force want to give up being a founding club of a comp they hold great sway over, to rejoin a comp where the governing body sees us as expendable? That's taking a leap of faith as great as the Nullabor.