• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Yet, she is quoted as saying: "Trailblazing business leader Ann Sherry has highlighted the lack of racial diversity on boards and said if chairmen don't get the gender balance right they will never meet more ambitious diversity targets regardless of their intentions." and " I do believe if you can't get the gender right, the rest of it is just more window dressing." Some thing to think about.

Interesting that Ann Sherry has not been seen with the dramas around the Ruby Princess resigned as Chairman of the company in March as per Financial Review article below. Interesting the Chairman title as these cruise companies look like they operate as branches in Australia not companies probably a tax and industrial relations set up. So the Chairman title maybe not be backed up as a statutory title with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission.

No longer a director or Rugby Australia resigned at Monday’s AGM.

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/lucky-break-ann-sherry-no-longer-carnival-s-chairman-20200405-p54h6v

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
didn't they all?

Home of running rugby, dontcha know. Spiro told me so.

Well not so much recently of course...

More like 'Home of stockpiling star Colts in the hope of being the home of running rugby again'

(Bit of a mouthful admittedly, not as snappy etc)

:)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Crazy idea time regarding wallaby eligibility going forward.

Players are eligible to play for the wallabies under 2 provisions

1) they play in Australia
2) they play overseas but a transfer fee has been paid to RA for their services

Point 1 is clear and easy to understand.
Point 2 can be a little foggy. Let’s use Kerevi as an example. Reports were stating he is on $1.2mil a season over 3yrs, given he was out of contract he’s obviously free to move where he wants, but if you create a system where some compensation could be paid to remain eligible for the wallabies then you could have players like Kerevi still moving overseas and paying an agreed amount between RA, the club and the player to stay eligible. Let’s say that amount was $300k upfront and $50k for each year of his contract then that could see RA and the Reds profit $400k. It could lead to Kerevi only earning $900k his first year and $1.15m each year after but it would still be a clear net gain for the player financially and also see RA and the Reds generate some much needed cash. I think a lot of players would be genuinely open to the idea if they were wanting to head overseas and were already part of the wallabies squad.

You could then have situations where the cashed up French clubs might be willing to pay large amounts to already contracted players like Hooper or Petaia.

Thoughts?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He didn't even go to Riverview - how could we possibly consider him for the role?

I have been mulling this over a bit. I thought Shore was the centre of influence? Or King's? I had a bit of a think. Are you referring to Chairmen of RA? Cameron Clyne went to St Dominic's at Penrith. Peter Cosgrove went to Waverley. Ronnie Graham went to Taren Point High. JON, probably the most influential of our bigshots in the professional era, went to Marist Brothers Darlinghurst, IIRC.

This is a genuine enquiry. Please enlighten me: who are the Riverview svengalis? We need more scapegoats!!!!!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Gary Flowers is the only Riverview boy that comes to mind immediately. JON actually went to Joeys, and Bill Pulver was Shore. Interestingly some of the attack crew, ie Kearns and Farr-Jones, both were at Newington. As you said above, not all Riverview, but a lot of GPS.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have been mulling this over a bit. I thought Shore was the centre of influence? Or King's? I had a bit of a think. Are you referring to Chairmen of RA? Cameron Clyne went to St Dominic's at Penrith. Peter Cosgrove went to Waverley. Ronnie Graham went to Taren Point High. JON, probably the most influential of our bigshots in the professional era, went to Marist Brothers Darlinghurst, IIRC.

This is a genuine enquiry. Please enlighten me: who are the Riverview svengalis? We need more scapegoats!!!!!
Look man as a feeble peasant all of those names mean the same thing to me.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Look man as a feeble peasant all of those names mean the same thing to me.

:D:D:D Not Taren Point High, surely?????:)

Incidentally, my knowledge of the private school system is a bit biased. The year that I was accepted for Fort Street, two of my neighbourhood pals missed out. Their families sent them to Trinity as the next best choice.

Mind you, back then, Fort Street was the James Ruse of its day (although all the academically selective state schools were pretty good).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that Ann Sherry has not been seen with the dramas around the Ruby Princess resigned as Chairman of the company in March as per Financial Review article below. Interesting the Chairman title as these cruise companies look like they operate as branches in Australia not companies probably a tax and industrial relations set up. So the Chairman title maybe not be backed up as a statutory title with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission.

No longer a director or Rugby Australia resigned at Monday’s AGM.

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/lucky-break-ann-sherry-no-longer-carnival-s-chairman-20200405-p54h6v

Looks like she had the same sort of impact in both roles.;)

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
From all reports RA likely to be in administration within the month.

It is probably very close to trading insolvent, administration at best will see a World Rugby bail out and they will be in charge.

Whomever is the CEO will only be so in title the key decisions and strategy will be called by World Rugby. The factions, the old boy network, NSW centric, Canberra Mafia, etc will be largely irrelevant.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
It is probably very close to trading insolvent, administration at best will see a World Rugby bail out and they will be in charge.

Whomever is the CEO will only be so in title the key decisions and strategy will be called by World Rugby. The factions, the old boy network, NSW centric, Canberra Mafia, etc will be largely irrelevant.

Hmm, much as I like the idea of the incestuous Mosman blazer brigade being swept aside, I'm not sure the Twickenham-based blazers would be much of an improvement.