• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
After a being disappointed in him for a few weeks I was quite pleased with Leota's impact off the bench last week, seems to be a good fit for him. 30 minutes against tiring bodies.

Rug&tug

Stan Wickham (3)
Not sure if this has been shared, but for you Rebels fans, a man in his 50s with coronavirus attended the Rebels vs Lions game, if you sat near him maybe be prepared to be checked out?
Cheers for that. That’s our section.
I’ll pass it on to everyone I know that came.
I’d had plenty of beers so should be good

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Extract from an email from Rebels regarding the COVID-19 infestation at the Lions game:

The advice we have now received from the DHHS, via MOPT, is ‘given the nature of the exposure we would advise that attendees and staff who attended the game and were seated or working in section 9 would be considered casual contacts. Casual contacts are not required to take any special action and can go about their normal activities (including work). We do advise that if they become unwell within 14 days of contact (in this case up until 21 March) that they seek medical attention and be tested for COVID-19. We do not consider any other staff or attendees as being contacts.’

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I didn't. the QRU did.

Club rugby has started. Has had about 2 weeks of trials and pre-season started last year.

Personally I think its a cost thing.

What I suspected (cost). Also the fact that the cost from Brumbies/Tahs is pretty low for that game (bus up/down for the day) so it's only the costs for playing the Rebels that is significant. Red's would have to fly everywhere.

Still, it's a shame. I agree that it's been good and will hopefully help with squad depth in the longrun not to mention the some of the A team boys cracking into the starting squad. Ramm for example I think has been good in his Tah's games. Hoping some others get a chance.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Cheers for that. That’s our section.
I’ll pass it on to everyone I know that came.
I’d had plenty of beers so should be good

Well, that makes three on GAGR that I know who live in Section 9 (KevinO and I). I'm up in the 2-seater behind the main bit, away from the rabble below. I suspect the man was sitting down in the lower sections, but can't be sure as they won't release details.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I didn't. the QRU did.

Club rugby has started. Has had about 2 weeks of trials and pre-season started last year.

Personally I think its a cost thing.

Reds wider squad is also made up with a bulk of U20s players, who are currently involved in U20s camps.
There's only a handful of Reds WTS players who wouldn't fall in the U20s category, the bulk of any 2nd XV Reds team would have to be made up by club players.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well, that makes three on GAGR that I know who live in Section 9 (KevinO and I). I'm up in the 2-seater behind the main bit, away from the rabble below. I suspect the man was sitting down in the lower sections, but can't be sure as they won't release details.
I'm in the cheap seats over in section 16/17 so a long way from me, unless he caught the train home.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

You know that the germs all float upwards though, right?

:p

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The fan day that was to be on this Saturday 14th at Moorabbin has been canceled due to lack of toilet paper, or something.

Good decision, I guess.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
As something to occupy time I have been trying to do a genuine VIC rugby side with existing players.

Team is made up of players that have come through the Vic system (eg. Played the majority of their junior rugby there) and a few that came from overseas (not to play rugby) but worked their way through the local system.

1 Sa’aga (Rebels)
2 Uelese (Rebels)
3 Faulkner (Tahs)
4 Hosea (Rebels)
5 Douglas (Brumbies)
6 Valetini (Brumbies)
7 Samu (Brumbies)
8 Leota (Rebels)
10 CLL (Japan)
11 Naivalu (Stade Francais)
12 Tapui (Harlequins)
13 Tuipulotu (Japan)
14 Paisami (Reds)
15 Tui (Stade Francais)

That’d be a solid side but seriously lacks any depth beyond it. Fa’amasuili - TH (Rebels) Ulugia- HK (Clermont), Potter - wing (Rebels) are the only other contracted players I can think of atm.

It’s actually a better side than many would think has come through the system. Could genuinely challenge WA or ACT. Light years away from QLD and NSW

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Murray Douglas??
Yeh, I had to shoehorn a few players in there.

He came to Melbourne on a working holiday from Scotland and signed up for his local club (Harlequins). Played the season as a bit of fitness and a way to meet new people, then impressed the Melb Rising NRC coach who asked him if he’d like to train with them. That ultimately lead to first pro deal with Rebels.

Naivalu similar story and Paisami - family moved to Melbourne in final year of school are the other shoehorns despite been identified by the Blues academy pre-move with family.

Anyone identified professionally in my eyes isn’t a product of local system.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Members' Q&A tomorrow (Thursday) morning at 10:30am, with Paul Docherty, Baden Stephenson, and David Wessels.
Join in via the Rebels' Facebook page.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Anything of note said?

DH-P and Reece Hodge were also on the panel. They explained what they were doing to keep fit/connected as well as a couple of specific skill examples during lockdown.

One of the main take-aways for me, they say they need (ideally) three weeks of contact work plus a week of game prep to be ready for a resumption. Most likely no games before August. Probably, as we've been speculating, a domestic comp with five Aus teams plus possibly the Sunwolves.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
They should consider a revised approach to the reserve bench if/when things restart. Three weeks of training probably won't have them up and running at the level of fitness to finish a full 80 min game safely.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good little initiative. Not much interaction with the 'members' watching, but does put across the tight nit community that the organisation seems to be.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
They should consider a revised approach to the reserve bench if/when things restart. Three weeks of training probably won't have them up and running at the level of fitness to finish a full 80 min game safely.

Sounded like the fitness level won't be the issue. More that contact ready.

Players doing a lot of work on fitness, DHP and Hodge have both been told to work on speed. DHP is training with Stonis in WA while Hodge has been on the athletics track.