• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pro Rugby is a business that happens to trade in a game we love, if we run it as a game then we will get amateur results, if we run it as a business then we will get pro results.

Well said LB.

We need to see professionals run the professional game and let RA promote this fantastic game at all levels from grass roots, through Club and Sate levels up to the Wallabies.

Choose the Wallabies from any eligible player (wherever they are playing) and move on from the current/past unsustainable system.

Really excited about what could happen in 2021.
I reckon we'll see something really worthwhile covering the entire Asia/Pacific region.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Quiet please the adults are talking, and we're talking with capital letters and proper grammar and neat typing.

Back to your colouring book.

Fark dude you've told all and sundry a few pages back that you're ONLY 25 years of age and now you're calling people out to be adults! Mate settle the fuck down you've barely passed puberty!

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
NO, have you, matey? but why haven't they been signed off? It isn't because of COVID and that was the previous comment

Rugby Australia is a company that is limited by guarantee. Section 316A(3) of the Corporations Act 2001 gives a company limited by guarantee four months after year end to provide their financial report to members. So that is the end of April, so the financial report is not overdue.

On 9 April 2020, due to COVID-19 ASIC provided companies with an extension for financial reporting of one month.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The significant point that hasn’t been even brushed on in this discussion is that she stepped down because she had lost the support of the board. That fact needs to be disseminated, not all the noise on the outer..

Once the board expressed total support for her, her days were numbered. If reports are correct the board has also excluded her from some recent meetings.

Anyway, I thought that she made a dignified and classy exit. No doubt the past couple of days were spent negotiating the terms of the departure (which is perfectly proper and normal). Assume that she'll receive her bonus and at least some of the remainder of her contractual remuneration. (Both which she is legally entitled to receive)

As I've said previously, I think she was fairly average as an administrator but really it's the board (past and present) who need to answer for the state in which the game currently finds itself.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So Phil Kearnes CEO and Jake White Wallabies Coach (No one else will take the Job)

Hello 2020 the year from hell, when will you ever go the F away.

And this is how stupid the new CEO is

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
It is possible to think Raelene hasn't been good enough (she hasn't), hasn't been willing enough to make change (she hasn't) and also not necessarily think that the 11 Captains Action was a great move, or that one of them should be the next Chief Executive.

Honestly, the (often, not always) misguided loyalty and opinions on this forum is unrivalled in any corner of the internet I inhabit.

I bear her no ill will and hope her next role is one she is able to excel in, and she takes learnings with her. And if the next CEO is a Kiwi or a woman, that's fine too, if they're the best candidate.

I think this is very well said. I don’t think she was perfect, but overall I liked the changes she was trying to enact. Some ambitious but vital stuff, like exploring new broadcast options, that I really admired and saw as important for improving the health of the game. I fear this coup will be a step back.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Going by her statement (obviously her words) but she stated the board said they needed clear air. Which means there is a possibility that her performance might not of been an issue, however the noise surrounding her no matter if performing well or poorly has made the role untenable.

This might mean there is actually no change of direction with how the board is pushing forward but they needed the distraction to go. It could also easily mean that they are moving in another direction. Only time will tell

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
It is possible to think Raelene hasn't been good enough (she hasn't), hasn't been willing enough to make change (she hasn't) and also not necessarily think that the 11 Captains Action was a great move, or that one of them should be the next Chief Executive.

Honestly, the (often, not always) misguided loyalty and opinions on this forum is unrivalled in any corner of the internet I inhabit.

I bear her no ill will and hope her next role is one she is able to excel in, and she takes learnings with her. And if the next CEO is a Kiwi or a woman, that's fine too, if they're the best candidate.

What chances would you have liked to see?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fark dude you've told all and sundry a few pages back that you're ONLY 25 years of age and now you're calling people out to be adults! Mate settle the fuck down you've barely passed puberty!
If we are going to get age-ist, the older generations aren't doing a lot of good running, well, just about anything. Maybe we should listen to younger people?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Folau sued RA.

RA settled.

For millions.

Plus an apology.

Therefore, RA conceded defeat.

Ergo, Folau won.

No expertise required to point out the blooming obvious.

So, the queue of prospective employers for the innocent and wronged Folau are where? Free speech is one thing, but when you bad for business its pretty clear and obvious.

So playing at the single club on this planet that made him an offer and under the condition he give up some of his right to free speech so he won't do what he did again is a win?

Yep. Blooming obvious.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Oh were are so @&$)ed

Continued pointless drama dragging rugby union further and further down at a time when we need to work together.

I really can’t be bothered anymore.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think she had a great tenure for the first wee while, but am genuinely sorry that she has decided to leave in these circumstances.

Assembling the coaching team (whomever it was that did the leg work) was done so under her control and influence and that had the looks of something very promising.

I would have liked to see where that went. But she's not going to be the only casualty during this period.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What chances would you have liked to see?

Suicide commercially to agree to the mooted round robin Super Rugby, without Sunwolves, structure.

I have also stated, and don't want to get into it again, but she should have never re-signed Israel in the manner she did. She has to own that

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Personally I think you maybe missing Wambs point, when I first came to Aus and being a real rugby maniac I got the same ah bloody Rah Rahs, and wondered about Aus rugby and GPS etc etc. After being here for 20 odd years I have found it usually the lot of crap! The reason I tend to think that perhaps more successful clubs tend to be in what some see as more affluent suburbs is generally (and this is not be taken wrong way, or meant to insult anyone) that those suburbs tend to attract a more successful type of business person, who ironically tend to make probably better administrators. In general you will find the same in most sports, and in most countries including NZ. As for the whole bloody GPS system, of course a lot of successful businessmen and good sports administrators tend to come from private schools where perhaps they get a better education? And also because these schools have successful former pupils they gain the advantage of being able to have scholarships for rugby etc, and hence puts even more rugby players through the GPS system. I not sure it all that bad myself.

The slightly simpler explanation is that with the exception of Eastwood, the location of district rugby clubs in Sydney broadly represent the footprint of the Sydney population in 1900. Nothing more or less sinister than that.

NB Warringah split from Manly in the 1960s as the population on the beaches expanded and Southern Districts is made up from the older area represented by the St George club and the newer area represented by the Port Hacking club.

The whole thing is a reflection of rugby's inability to expand with Sydney post WW2. And just to add, Manly wasn't a particularly affluent area when I grew up there. My parents were only able to afford to buy their in the early 60s because there was a gasworks located about 400 metres from the semi that they bought. You could have bought a whole block back then for less than the price of a single house there now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So Phil Kearnes CEO and Jake White Wallabies Coach (No one else will take the Job)

Hello 2020 the year from hell, when will you ever go the F away.

And this is how stupid the new CEO is

Interesting that depending on which post I read, Phil Kearns is either a complete buffoon or an evil genius who has masterminded a takeover of Australian rugby - as a part of which he exerted some sort of unexplained influence to cause a number of highly respected ex-captains to sign an open letter.

I don't know Phil Kearns at all, but I suspect that his clown-like buffoonery in the commentary box is just playing a role to the Greg Clarke straight man.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe that he's spent a decade or more playing the fool so he can bide his time to mount a coup against RA.

It's not clear to me why he would want to be CEO of RA, it's the ultimate poison chalice. I have my doubts that anyone can turn it around.