• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
UQ players have been told to prepare for a return to training in two weeks , as in if you haven’t been doing your home isolation training you better get cracking because we expect you fit and ready to rip in at training in a few weeks .

Hopefully this means things looking promising for some rugby to be played from June on .

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
My bad sorry , it’s not a return to “normal” training . A misread on my part , apologies, my keenness for rugby has lead to fake news.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Wasn’t too far off.......

Attachments

• E3998DEE-157C-4B3B-B30F-C89106F635FE.jpeg
    E3998DEE-157C-4B3B-B30F-C89106F635FE.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 203

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I wouldn't be too worried about the psychy. The fact is we haven't had the cattle to produce the wanted results against better opposition, Castle and Deans had their own (very different) demons but they can't make guys catch and pass better.

Considering this is the Premier Rugby forum I should say, for all Castle did and didn't do, I feel like she did have a broad arching plan to care for more than just the top line players. She seemed invested in making junior, school and club rugby the pathway it once was. Hopefully whomever steps in now can keep working towards that goal.

With those insular Sydney North Shore boys leading the coupe don't hold your breath. After this extended break from sports I think I've actually found more important things in life to do than worry about sports that continually self inflict. Pro sports stinks with self serving corruption & the grass roots suffers. Nothing is going to change for the better. I'm out. After, playing watching and supporting for nearly 40 years I no longer care.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Penguin - I understand your sentiment and have for many years now but for club & school rugby.

Sadly above that is a total mess in this country (has been since RWC 2003) and RA lost me when they kicked out the Force and in so doing turned their back on Twiggy Forest.

Good luck to the incoming CEO & Board. With respect I think if they really want to save the game in Australia then they need more than former bankers, failed administrators from other sports and former wallabies in these roles.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Club rugby could be the benefactor of all this mess upstream , with not much else going on and a feeling of disconnect higher up the food chain , hopefully more people get behind their community club and réengage with something that isn’t on the nose regarding sniff tests.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Club rugby could be the benefactor of all this mess upstream , with not much else going on and a feeling of disconnect higher up the food chain , hopefully more people get behind their community club and réengage with something that isn’t on the nose regarding sniff tests.

I think majority of clubs have really good community engagement. If you go down to the local field at 3pm on a Saturday, there are usually flocks of people watching the game. I personally had more engagement with the QPR Final last year than I did for any Super Rugby or RWC game, and I wasn't even supporting either of the teams in the final.

The issue, in my opinion, is that the children coming through have no engagement with rugby union and they'll be lost to the game. My brother is rugby mad and has a 3 year old son, he doesn't think there will be a viable product to showcase rugby union in Australia over the next few years to make his boy engage with the sport. Why would he play rugby union when he could emulate some of the more visible sporting superstars in the NRL, AFL or hell even the NBA that gets so much attention here now. Nothing like that currently on offer in Australia.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
July 1 resumption of QPR?
Yep , that’s assuming government clearance at the time.

Training to start June 1 .

Today’s CM has an article on what the season might look like , possibly a 9-12 week comp with a 3 week finals program.

Expecting a full GPS first XV season , might see AIC moved to term 3 ?

Don’t think anyone knows what the spectator situation might be .

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm hoping if we ever do take the field we go better than our attempts at the virtual cup. The only positive is we're above the filth on the log :D

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Therein lies the opportunity

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
With a number of overseas players coming back to Australia due to the virus, will we see an influx of Australian talent in the QPR season if players are allowed as it would likely start well before top leagues in other countries?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
With a number of overseas players coming back to Australia due to the virus, will we see an influx of Australian talent in the QPR season if players are allowed as it would likely start well before top leagues in other countries?

Seems to be a number of guys returning from the USA comp. I would think these contracts may not be as limiting as guys who are signed to European or Japanese clubs.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Could be a stacked QPR if it manages to kick off in July .

First few rounds could see plenty of Reds, WBs and OS based pro players lining up for a run depending on their contracts.

Have got the likes of Genia and Quade kicking around in Brisbane currently .

Any word on other OS based players that might potentially be home for the start of QPR?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I will be surprised if we see some of the 'top level' guys playing in club, although it would be great.

QC (Quade Cooper) has been very vocal about trying his hand in the NRL on a short-term contract, and all reports say that was kyboshed by his Japanese club. Can't imagine them letting him run around in club rugby instead. But who knows.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep understand a pro league would not want a player contracted to them playing in another pro league as in QC (Quade Cooper) wanting to play NRL.

Hopefully the OS pro leagues are a little more sympathetic to a contracted player having a run in an amateur comp .

Would be great to see them testing their wares in QPR .....

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Any chance of a June 1 season start?

I don’t know how much preseason these boys need.. I hope there’s no trials as well. Throw them in the preseason fitness baptism of fire