• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The ‘Road to Post COVID’ plan says that contact community sport won’t be happening until July 10. I wonder if that means training to resume then. They make a point of saying non-contact sports will resume earlier. I would imagine if they are being strict it means no training until that date as rugby training obviously involves contact. I’m sure teams could be doing fitness etc though throughout June.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Groups of 10 allowed as of next week allows for a bit of “unofficial” training in smaller groups.

Club training to start 2 weeks following .

You would imagine they would build into full contact, it wouldn’t be safe any other way , particularly with scrums .

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Saw a muted video from Yoku Road about what they are doing to deal with social distancing.

Good luck over at the Glue factory which should be aptly name covid cluster factory.
Easts grandstand will be another high risk facility for covid.

Who’s gonna risk it and make it down to the local club rugby grounds? Happy to watch it from livestream and go to the occasional home match at Kennel.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
One thing GPS are able to do quite well is setup temporary fencing to create smaller areas over at the Glue Factory, they already do this to separate the corporate spaces from the players areas. It's not perfect by any stretch but at least they should be able to setup a security guard on the door and keep numbers down in some areas. Common sense also helps.

Judging by the influx of people to places like Newfarm park on the weekend, I imagine the first weekend back of community rugby will be absolutely chokers, it will be interesting to see the stance the clubs/the QRU take on how they manage spectator numbers.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One thing GPS are able to do quite well is setup temporary fencing to create smaller areas over at the Glue Factory, they already do this to separate the corporate spaces from the players areas. It's not perfect by any stretch but at least they should be able to setup a security guard on the door and keep numbers down in some areas. Common sense also helps.

Judging by the influx of people to places like Newfarm park on the weekend, I imagine the first weekend back of community rugby will be absolutely chokers, it will be interesting to see the stance the clubs/the QRU take on how they manage spectator numbers.

if it is, then it will also be the last weekend.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
if it is, then it will also be the last weekend.

Exactly. Is it fair to say that whilst professional sports are going without crowds, community sports should be as well?

Lots of passionate club rugby supporters here will disagree with that I think, as clubs need the money generated from having people on the ground, but its far easier to be socially distant with 5000 people inside Suncorp than 5000 at Yoku Rd, yet the stadiums will remain shut.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Picone working in self interest again - putting themselves ahead of the broader interests of the game.

These guys clearly have a set against the QRU. They should just remember that without their rugby upbringing that they wouldn't be in the business that they are.

One would have thought that in the midst of COVID that they would have shown a little bit of regard for the greater good of the game.

It paints Rodda, Lucas & Hickings as mercenaries. Compare their stance to that of Tait McDermott.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Agree Bulldog - but this is being discussed at length in the Reds 2020 page, already about 4 pages, and none of it paints those guys in a very good light.

Probably don't need it to leak into this thread as well.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The part of this story that relates to QPR is Anthony Picone.

He has not acted in the best interests of the game in QLD (particularly QPR) for many years now by performing the roles of player agent and coach con-currently. Conflict of interest in my honest opinion.

Since about 2011 he was performing both roles whilst at GPS, then packed up and took his gear and players(incl. Kerevi) to Souths creating the "Harlem globe trotters" premiership in 2015, he endeavour to poach Rodda from Easts to Souths whilst coaching at Souths and acting as his agent, Harley Fox(contracted to Picone) on returning to Bne played for Souths despite having played Colts @ Easts - he's now at Norths with Picone.

As agent, he has already sent at least two promising young players (incl. Pheonix Hunt) to Japan.

My point is that as Picone goes from one club to the next he doesn't leave behind a great legacy but more so destruction caused by excessive self interest.

i believe that being a manager of young sportsmen & women involves a very large part of teaching them to be good human beings- the stance by these three players in the current COVID environment is not in the best interests of the rugby community.

Hard to see how the Lucas dream of all brothers playing together at Sunnybank will ever eventuate if Isaac takes off to Japan.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If you question the destruction Picone leaves behind just look back on GPS in 2014 (nothing like the 2013 GF side) and now Souths - how many of the 2019 side will run out in 2020?

Good luck to Norths. You might get some improvement but at what cost?

My prediction is that your best talent - Nick Chapman - will be playing in Japan within the next 12-18 months.

Picone's has influenced the QPR scene for a number of years now - for the good? - I will leave that up to you to decide.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The part of this story that relates to QPR is Anthony Picone.

He has not acted in the best interests of the game in QLD (particularly QPR) for many years now by performing the roles of player agent and coach con-currently. Conflict of interest in my honest opinion.

Since about 2011 he was performing both roles whilst at GPS, then packed up and took his gear and players(incl. Kerevi) to Souths creating the "Harlem globe trotters" premiership in 2015, he endeavour to poach Rodda from Easts to Souths whilst coaching at Souths and acting as his agent, Harley Fox(contracted to Picone) on returning to Bne played for Souths despite having played Colts @ Easts - he's now at Norths with Picone.

Bulldog I agree with some points but you probably need to fact check here and clarify who you are referring to. The agent being mentioned in the current articles regarding the Reds and the head of Newstar is Anthony Picone. His brother Brett 'Buzz' Picone is the one who was involved in the coaching structures at GPS and Souths. I was around GPS when Buzz was there and never personally had any dealing with Anthony. Brett does also work for Newstar.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Bulldog I agree with some points but you probably need to fact check here and clarify who you are referring to. The agent being mentioned in the current articles regarding the Reds and the head of Newstar is Anthony Picone. His brother Brett 'Buzz' Picone is the one who was involved in the coaching structures at GPS and Souths. I was around GPS when Buzz was there and never personally had any dealing with Anthony. Brett does also work for Newstar.

Brett is the general manager for Newstar and they are Brothers. Not very far removed. Basically change Anthony to Brett and he had everything right

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Brett is the general manager for Newstar and they are Brothers. Not very far removed. Basically change Anthony to Brett and he had everything right

Hmm not really. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I support the guys - but facts are facts.

Brett's name has never been mentioned by the media publications as being involved with either the Kerevi or current Reds trio situation, and in the same way Anthony has never been placed onto the coaching staff at any of those clubs.

People are quick to throw jabs here online so its best to clarify who exactly you're talking about as it can get you into trouble. They are two different issues, albeit running towards the same finish line (Newstar).

You probably wouldn't appreciate someone calling out facts against you, only for them to be clearly referring to someone else.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Hmm not really. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I support the guys - but facts are facts.

Brett's name has never been mentioned by the media publications as being involved with either the Kerevi or current Reds trio situation, and in the same way Anthony has never been placed onto the coaching staff at any of those clubs.

People are quick to throw jabs here online so its best to clarify who exactly you're talking about as it can get you into trouble. They are two different issues, albeit running towards the same finish line (Newstar).

You probably wouldn't appreciate someone calling out facts against you, only for them to be clearly referring to someone else.

But it is a fact that they are brothers and that they both are heavily involved in Newstar management

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
But it is a fact that they are brothers and that they both are heavily involved in Newstar management

Yes absolutely. But aside from that, I wouldn't be crediting one with the others (mis)deeds. Which was my original point regarding Bulldog's post, as it was implied that Anthony was behind all the QPR stuff and coaching, when it is in fact an entirely different person.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
My apologies to Anthony I was referring to Buzz.

Comments stand in relation to Buzz.

Hey Bulldog say what you really think.
IMHO Buzz is a good bloke not perfect but none of us are.

From what i can gather most of the players who have left Nest are doing so as they are not fans of the new coach. Some are not big fans of Buzz or in his stable. It will be interesting times at the nest for this year and next.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry what about club loyalty.

Most blokes learn more about rugby and life by being part of a rugby club than they do at school. Takes a village to raise a child - takes a club to make a rugby man/woman.

Modern players need a shot of reality - clubs give them so much they need to give back some.

Unfortunately most of the 2015 Souths side (except Matt Bennett) have moved onto other clubs & are no longer part of the Souths community because for the most part they were a team of rugby journey men put together by Buzz.

Rugby clubs are more than the Premier Grade coach & players - it is a privilege to wear the jersey but important to remember that they are merely custodians of the jersey and what links the past to the future.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hearing reports that Souths Premier Grade trained as a squad on Saturday morning at Dutton Park and their colts training at Riverside Rugby club. I really hope this is untrue, as all it would take is something like this with restrictions still in place to ruin/delay further progression. I wonder what the punishment from the QRU is for getting caught? Surely docked points