• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Although still at school, last years Australian schoolboys winger, whose name I have shamefully forgotten, I would include also.His speed and turn of pace are delight to watch. I hope the GPS season can get back on track, just to watch this amazing talented player.
Yes, Tolu Koula. Incredible rugby player and athlete. And his performance to win the GPS Open 100m in record time last year was astounding.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
You are making me miss the game even more.
Sounds like a great player to watch.

Thank You, "Its Not Pink" I have been so long out of touch, I forgetting things such as players names. And "Formerflanker" I can assure you, your not the only one missing the game. From what I can gather, the five core schools are just oozing with talent to be watched. Shore with its new Headmaster and his Mandate to improve 1st XV results could/might be a surprise package. I hope so as 6 schools with the ability to beat any of the other 5 on its day would make for an even better competition.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Although still at school, last years Australian schoolboys winger, whose name I have shamefully forgotten, I would include also.His speed and turn of pace are delight to watch. I hope the GPS season can get back on track, just to watch this amazing talented player.

I would dare say you would put his name down for the team of the next decade as a 2020 school leaver. He is a freak of an athlete. Hopefully he stays in the game long term.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Pretty awesome side especially in the backline. Shows the depth that Tyrone T could not find a spot. Well chosen.

It was a tough decision for me for the final wing spot, but I ultimately went for Sepesa. Roods was a freak although injuries curtailed his schoolboy and early post school opportunities. Kennewell was solid, particularly outside Murray and is still in the 7s set up. Tyrone peaked early as a 16 year old and then from my perspective fell away whereas Sepesa was strong throughout his years in 1sts.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Will there be a 2020 gps rugby season? A couple of things, I have heard that Shore are playing in the thirds comp. also heard that a comp is unlikely unless they get something going in late term 2 because 1) they need to have at least 2 contact trials before the comp can start, and 2) many year 12s are likely to pull out the closer to the hsc.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will there be a 2020 gps rugby season? A couple of things, I have heard that Shore are playing in the thirds comp. also heard that a comp is unlikely unless they get something going in late term 2 because 1) they need to have at least 2 contact trials before the comp can start, and 2) many year 12s are likely to pull out the closer to the hsc.
I assume you mean Shore 1sts are playing in the 3rds comp?

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
I assume you mean Shore 1sts are playing in the 3rds comp?
Yes. I think this year is weak at shore. Year below is much stronger. Usually shore 2nds are competitive so I don’t know who they would play. If year 12s start pulling out to focus on the hsc because their academic year has been disrupted, I can’t see how an official comp can progress. Maybe an unoffical 2-3 round comp? Maybe shorten athletics?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes. I think this year is weak at shore. Year below is much stronger. Usually shore 2nds are competitive so I don’t know who they would play. If year 12s start pulling out to focus on the hsc because their academic year has been disrupted, I can’t see how an official comp can progress. Maybe an unoffical 2-3 round comp? Maybe shorten athletics?
Thanks.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)

You may have inside information one eyed pirate, but I would be really surprised if Shore 1sts moved down to the 3rds comp permanently. Where do the Shore 2nds and 3rds play? Against everyone else's 4ths and 5ths? That's not great. Having watched all three Shore teams play last year, I believe there was not much difference between them - the 2nds and 3rds in particular were very competitive. I understand that every year is different but I think that would be a great shame if they moved.

The other issue is that the 3rds comp was scheduled to start 23 May because it requires seven rounds, and it is possible that GPS rugby may not even commence until Term 3. What a mess!

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
A communication just came out at Shore: Athletics carnival at the start of term 3 to be followed by a modified rugby comp . The schools are working together to agree on the details however the language used was "possible" not "definite" with regards to third term rugby.

There has been no mention within the GPS squad of Shore not competing in firsts comp. The boys are expecting to play 1sts.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
I understand that athletics will "run for two weeks" with planning underway for seven weeks of rugby. This would include two trial rounds, followed by the full five rounds of AAGPS fixtures.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Let's not forget all GPS matched use to be played in Term 3. With all the disruption this year already I don't see it as a major factor. Most boys who play 1st XV would make it work

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
It seems like a good approach.... all of these plans will be most inconvenient for the school that has totally disregarded social distancing protocols and had their 1st XV squad trading together since before the school holidays. They might peak to early .

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Out of sheer boredom interested in getting thoughts on the best Joeys side of the last decade (2010 - 2019) :

Here’s a starter:

1. Tom Robertson (2012)
2. Tom Horton (2015)
3. Matt Sandell (2013)
4. Ned Hanigan (2013)
5. Koim Wingti (2014)
6. Nathaniel Gittoes (2015)
7. Lachlan Simpson (2015)
8. Hugh Bokenham (2019)
9. Nick Duffy (2014)
10. Andrew Deegan (2014)
11. Yirrbi Jaffer-Williams (2016)
12. Nick Wilkinson (2016)
13. Tom Wright (2014)
14. Liam Scolari (2018)
15. Matt McTaggart (2016)

Some players unlucky to miss out include Conor O’Shea, Triston Reilly, Will McDonnell, Vincent Creagh and Tim Clements

Matt McTaggart was only playing 2nds if I am not wrong, is he still eligible? Then Tim Clements

Anyone know what Yirribi is doing? Amazing talent , hope he is still playing somewhere

There was a 2 row Spooner? think he might be a Norths was pretty handy as well

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Matt McTaggart was only playing 2nds if I am not wrong, is he still eligible? Then Tim Clements

Anyone know what Yirribi is doing? Amazing talent , hope he is still playing somewhere

There was a 2 row Spooner? think he might be a Norths was pretty handy as well

Hello Honey Badger, Matt McTaggart definitely played 1st XV at Joeys and played mostly at 15. He was ultimately selected in the Australian Schoolboys in 2016 together with Yirribi and Nick Wilkinson.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
A communication just came out at Shore: Athletics carnival at the start of term 3 to be followed by a modified rugby comp . The schools are working together to agree on the details however the language used was "possible" not "definite" with regards to third term rugby.

Thanks Number 7, and here is the statement from AAGPS on 6 May:

"The AAGPS Chairman, Mr Mark Ticehurst, in consultation with the GPS Headmasters’ Standing, wishes to advise the following update regarding the return to GPS sporting programmes in 2020:
As boys return to Schools, the AAGPS continues to monitor Government guidelines regarding a possible return to School Sports. It appears that the approach of a systematic phased return could be adopted with details and timing to follow. However, for the AAGPS, the decision has been made to concentrate on Athletics in Term 2 with the possibility of the AAGPS Championships scheduled for Term 3.
It is proposed that decisions about the full Winter Sports season be deferred until the status of the COVID-19 environment in New South Wales is more fully understood and guidelines are released by Government sources. A modified or full Winter Sports season may be possible in Term 3 but it is premature to commit to that at the present time."