• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
From the article linked above (which I assume is identical to the SMH one):

"Harrison and Kearns want an audience with Clarke to discuss a list of assurances given to them by former RA director Peter Wiggs before his resignation last week."

Read into that what you will..

Well I'd say Harrison and Kearns can go to buggery given that Wiggs is out of the picture. Clarke or McLennan didn't make those assurances.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Even by some Tahs fans.

Go back and read the boards on here years back re Tom Carter

He was a global epicentre of rugby passion, for or against

There was so much more unquestioning love of the game then, TC a talisman of it all

The boys we ‘loved to hate’ were almost the best part

Hundreds and more hundreds of posts re them - the rugby dream was still alive

The heckling of Tom C was - as much as anything - a badge of belief that we all loved a sport that would just never end

And GAGR was its best friend, that is if you wanted to say a few words

In conviction and respect of it all

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe. The comp described by Geerob in today's herald has some appeal. Might be the best of both worlds - local comp for three months then a Champions League style event to get a bit of international competition happening.

My issue with that is I reckon we'd get sick of Aussie conference games after six weeks. The last month of that comp will drag on.

This years comp in Oz and NZ could give some indication of the appetite for it.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd be happy with domestic comps plus champions league, but would prefer them to be separate competitions rather than conferences and playoffs within a single competition (so more like a shortened version of the European style season)

A single grand final for the Australian championship would be good, but even if it was first past the post I think it would be great to have a national champion every year. They then move onto the Champions League and have a chance to win a double, while other teams get a chance to make up for losing the domestic championship by winning the champions league.

It might depend on how long a champions league goes for. The longer it goes for, the less interest from the SANZAAR countries I reckon, because it would be a comp potentially without the best players in it if they are in teams that don't qualify. This is why I think they will lean towards no more than 3-4 weeks of finals.

Morphett22

Bob McCowan (2)
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/2f46d29a360795c0f2ce4ad3e55fe024

After seeing this article, I may be drunk but I reckon a SOO would work in Union, teams could look a little something like this:

NSW
1. Scott Sio
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Alan Ala'alatoa
4. Matt Phillip
5. Caderyn Neville
6. Lukhan Salakai-Loto
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Nic White
10. Will Harrison
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase
12. Irae Simone
13. Reece Hodge
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Jack Maddocks

QLD
1. James Slipper
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Darcy Swain
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Liam Wright
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Matt To'omua
11. Andy Muirhead
12. James O’Connor
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Jock Campbell
15. Tom Banks

dru

Tim Horan (67)
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/2f46d29a360795c0f2ce4ad3e55fe024

After seeing this article, I may be drunk but I reckon a SOO would work in Union, teams could look a little something like this:

NSW
1. Scott Sio
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Alan Ala'alatoa
4. Matt Phillip
5. Caderyn Neville
6. Lukhan Salakai-Loto
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Nic White
10. Will Harrison
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase
12. Irae Simone
13. Reece Hodge
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Jack Maddocks

QLD
1. James Slipper
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Darcy Swain
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Liam Wright
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Matt To'omua
11. Andy Muirhead
12. James O’Connor
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Jock Campbell
15. Tom Banks

I’d prefer two teams under the auspices of the WBs. Selections involving Rennie, but one coached by WB forward coach other by the back coach.

Quality would be enough to satisfy NZ. Help start building WB combinations. As a lead in to internationals I think it would generate interest.

I think there would be too much cynicism to call it SOO, but if must do, non Q and non NSW players need to qualify somehow.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’d prefer two teams under the auspices of the WBs. Selections involving Rennie, but one coached by WB forward coach other by the back coach.

Quality would be enough to satisfy NZ. Help start building WB combinations. As a lead in to internationals I think it would generate interest.

I think there would be too much cynicism to call it SOO, but if must do, non Q and non NSW players need to qualify somehow.
Have a 3rd All States/Barbarians team, anyone eligible for Wallabies selection can be picked

Morphett22

Bob McCowan (2)
Cheers Dru and KOB, I’d be happy to see a probables vs possibles as Dru mentioned and a Baabaas team as KOB mentioned, I’m purely a novice at this selection thing so delighted to hear these suggestions :)

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

NSW
1. Scott Sio
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Alan Ala'alatoa
4. Matt Phillip
5. Caderyn Neville
6. Lukhan Salakai-Loto
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Nic White
10. Will Harrison
11. Mark Nawaqanitawase
12. Irae Simone
13. Reece Hodge
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Jack Maddocks

QLD
1. James Slipper
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Darcy Swain
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Liam Wright
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Matt To'omua
11. Andy Muirhead
12. James O’Connor
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Jock Campbell
15. Tom Banks

Rodda is from NSW.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Super 10 was effectively the provincial rugby equivalent of the champions league.

How it became the bloated, broken mess it is today is truly a lesson on how to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, yet sports administrators always seem to do it.

Bigger is not always better, more is not always better.

Greed, hubris and incompetence on a grand scale

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
100%. NRC was a weird, ill-conceived love child of nothing very much. It was attached to nothing meaningful in tribal land. NSWRU never even got behind it, was just one problem. The teams were made-up synthetic and rooted neither in Super or Club IDs of old and micro-cultures of old. Filled with amateurs or close to. A mess of contrasts and lost identities.

Added to which it was tacked onto the end of the season like an unwanted relative. The NRC commenced when the NRL and AFL finals were starting, so the media oxygen was all taken. And of course, every 4th year it is played at the same time as RWC so even becomes invisible to 95% of rusted on rugby tragics.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
When the MDiddy proposal came out on the Roar I went off on a bit of a mission and went through every player on the 4 franchises rosters and traced their origins. I put 2 columns in, where they went to school, and where they played their first senior game. Anyway, I think it's academic now but it was an interesting exercise personally as I learnt a lot about all our players. If anyone wants the spreadsheet PM me and I'll send it to you.

Just for shits and giggles the Barbarians side would look something as below. For this exercise I've excluded any NSW/QLD '2nds Origin players', but some would probably come into consideration.

1. JP Smith - SAF/ACT
2. Jordan Uelese - Vic
3. Ruan Smith - SAF/ACT
4. Tom Staniforth - ACT
5. Ross Haylett-Petty - WA
6. Rob Valetini - Vic
7. Pete Samu - Vic
8. Isi Naisarani - Fiji/WA
9. Joe Powell - ACT
10. Noah Lolesio - ACT
11. Marika Koroibete - Fiji/Vic
12. Hunter Paisami - Vic
13. Henry Speight - Fiji/ACT
14. Filipo Dauganu - Fiji/Qld
15. Dane Haylett-Petty - WA

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
BPA from NSW too. Well originally NZ. I like the idea of SoO. Would you squeeze DHP, Uelese etc into this or are they left out? Could do ACT and Vic to NSW as they border and WA to QLD.

I also like the idea of possible vs probables but don't think that this will get as much of a following as teams will change every year and you can't build an allegiance to either team. I think only us tragics would watch.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think a bit of logic would come into play. Yes he is from Lismore but was schooled at Ipswich and been in Queensland ever since. I'd say he'd be drafted into a Qld side. Similar with Harry Wilson being born in Gunnedah.

He's from Evan's Head and only relocated to Queensland for the last two years of his schooling. He's from New South Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.