• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ultimately the buck does stop with the players.

Agreed. I have no doubt the manager has pushed them to take this stand but they are adults and it is their decision.

It's a poor decision both from their own financial position right now because they're now not getting paid at all and stupid from an overall contract perspective because there are no other options available right now.

You would also think that for three young players either embedded in the Wallabies or on the verge of it, it's not a great idea career wise to be trying to find a way to leave Australia.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Very disappointing to hear but not unsurprising, it was bound to happen. Their careers are very limited and are only an injury away from being out of work forever. They need to maximise their earnings now and taking a haircut ain't gonna help (if they can find better elsewhere).

But this agent does sound like an utter fuck bucket.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
It's super surprising as like a lot of people on here, many know at least one of these fellas personally and they are extremely passionate about the QLD cause. They love the group and have never been selfish individuals. All roads lead to one location....

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Extremely poor decision from all 3. Was the time to show a bit of leadership and solidarity. As I have said before during the WRC fiasco loyalty was most certainly rewarded and never forgotten.

Does not look good either publicly or within the team environment.

Really bad career moves.

Best thing for them TODAY would be to man up, say I didn't think this through, made a mistake, as my teammate are doing we willing to sacrifice for the good of rugby, QLD rugby and my teammates. Sorry we let everyone down.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
it's not about shrinking to greatness.

It's not really about the success of the Wallabies.

It's about shrinking to survival. Rugby in Australia can not afford 4 pro teams. They'll struggle with three.

Unless there is a staggering change in the approach the sport us run in this country, it just won't happen.

Absolutely bang on Reg. The penny is finally dropping.

Consolidation and survival. When food is scarce the pack will shrink, when it is more abundant it can expand.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Best thing for them TODAY would be to man up, say I didn't think this through, made a mistake, as my teammate are doing we willing to sacrifice for the good of rugby, QLD rugby and my teammates. Sorry we let everyone down.

A hollow apology digs the hole deeper in my opinion. They may have been led down this path, but there has been plenty of time to jump off, it shouldn't take them being put through the ringer by their fans to realize how this looks. They've made their bed. I'll struggle to get behind this blokes in future.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a little snippet from the press conference today, with Scott Johnson. RA offered Gill a contract, he turned it down and has signed elsewhere.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is Lucas' position that strong? last few games he wasn't even making the Reds bench.

Harry was/is in a similar position if Lukhan plays 5 paired with Blyth. All three are playing with fire as there are plenty of able replacements at the Reds in their positions.

Someone should tell them, it's not a good time to be changing jobs even as professional athlete.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
a little snippet from the press conference today, with Scott Johnson. RA offered Gill a contract, he turned it down and has signed elsewhere.
No point paying him top dollar when you have Wright (form 7) and McWright (the best young 7 in Aus). Tahs have Hooper and the Brumbies back-row is stacked.

Could've gone to the Rebels i guess.

There no longer seems to be a place in Aus for players who are outside the Wallabies squad but are otherwise highly rated.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Counting down for the Newstar sports employees to start posting here. I think last time Picone's name was put through the ringer over the Kerevi stuff a couple of new accounts popped up on here rather quickly coming to his defence.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Scott Johnson mentions that the players are ‘looking at their legal position’ on the matter. I wonder if Picone or the players are paying for the legal advice. Are there any other Picone players still at the Reds?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Scott Johnson mentions that the players are ‘looking at their legal position’ on the matter. I wonder if Picone or the players are paying for the legal advice. Are there any other Picone players still at the Reds?

I had heard something similar to this actually and I find it bizarre. If there is some genuine legal concern about the way their contracts are being handled during this situation, why is it only 3 blokes who've put their hand up with an issue. The Reds I believe have something like 40 players (including training contracts etc.) on their books, odd that the only three guys looking at legal action are all managed by the same bloke.