• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, went into a sporting shop in Bath a few years back. It was decked out majorly in Brumbies paraphernalia. More than any other club that I could see. Not a Vikings jersey in sight.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not one of those reason has anything to do with a persons mental ability to interpret who qualifies for something.

I’m not defending super rugby at all, infact I think it’s stupid to have a competition that is over so many timezones. But that’s a completely different question to the make up of a competition in terms of who’s qualifying, different conferences etc.

I’m just pointing out the competition structure isn’t the reason it’s failed. Timezones, lack of content, not enough home games for teams, etc. I’d put dramatically above conferences and an uneven draw.

It just frustrates me when people say it was too hard to follow, when every other competition in the world has their own uneven and silly structures.

You put all those reasons in there, I was just answering you.

A person's mental ability to interpret something is not being questioned. Do sports followers want to spend the time and effort doing it when they're relaxing watching/supporting sport.

Being silly and uneven is completely different from being incomprehensible and arcane. I don't think the Super Rugby draw was particularly uneven, certainly no more uneven than any other sport. But again, the creme always rose to the top regardless of the draw. It's issue in this regard was that it was impossibly complicated.

I agree with all your other points re Super Rugby.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Surely the easiest option from here is just a 10 team Trans-Tasman comp, right?

Force back in, play a 10 team home and away comp, with a top four finals. If the Force can't, then 9 teams and one just has the bye weekend. I'd really prefer they didn't happen, and we just imposed game limits on top players - eg you're a valuable Wallaby, you have to have 3-4 games off during the year, when you need them. This allows for building depth and experience int he squads and hopefully less injuries to crucial players. Not a 'you must rest for the first 4 weeks' NZ style thing, more 'use these to keep your body fresh and niggle free for the big tests/finals, take them when you need"

Missing 4 games out of 18 is pretty standard anyway for a player

Simple, easy, the time zones are all fine (Perth aside but that just opens up daytime game options for everyone), so we can have 4 games reliably every weekend, at the normal times. If we don't bother with a bye weekend (with 10 teams I wouldn't bother) then you get 5 games each weekend, one can be a regular 3pm Sunday/Saturday kick off.

Expansion - Japan and the PI's are all time zone friendly, so we could expand to Super 12 or 14 again with not much fuss.

The biggest issue with Super Rugby atm is the conference shit, and missing 3-4 games a year due to South Africa. Their Super Rugby sides can join the Cheetahs and Kings in the Top 14, but test rugby just kicks on as normal.

Jaguares are an interesting one - i'd love to keep them over the Yaapies, as BA is not too unfriendly as a time zone - 9pm game there is a very watchable 9-10am ish game in Aus. I'd certainly get up at 9am on a weekend to watch the Brumbies play, but i'm rarely doing that at 2-3am for a SA game. It's a bit of a trek, sure, but it's only one and it would be immensely beneficial for keeping Argentina's rise going, at least until they get a proper America's wide competition up and running.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Force back in, play a 10 team home and away comp, with a top four finals. If the Force can't, then 9 teams and one just has the bye weekend. I'd really prefer they didn't happen, and we just imposed game limits on top players - eg you're a valuable Wallaby, you have to have 3-4 games off during the year, when you need them. This allows for building depth and experience int he squads and hopefully less injuries to crucial players. Not a 'you must rest for the first 4 weeks' NZ style thing, more 'use these to keep your body fresh and niggle free for the big tests/finals, take them when you need"

Simple, easy, the time zones are all fine (Perth aside but that just opens up daytime game options for everyone), so we can have 4 games reliably every weekend, at the normal times. If we don't bother with a bye weekend (with 10 teams I wouldn't bother) then you get 5 games each weekend, one can be a regular 3pm Sunday/Saturday kick off.

Expansion - Japan and the PI's are all time zone friendly, so we could expand to Super 12 or 14 again with not much fuss.

The biggest issue with Super Rugby atm is the conference shit, and missing 3-4 games a year due to South Africa. Their Super Rugby sides can join the Cheetahs and Kings in the Top 14, but test rugby just kicks on as normal.

Jaguares are an interesting one - i'd love to keep them over the Yaapies, as BA is not too unfriendly as a time zone - 9pm game there is a very watchable 9-10am ish game in Aus. I'd certainly get up at 9am on a weekend to watch the Brumbies play, but i'm rarely doing that at 2-3am for a SA game. It's a bit of a trek, sure, but it's only one and it would be immensely beneficial for keeping Argentina's rise going, at least until they get a proper America's wide competition up and running.

Unless there is open borders policy I can’t see a ten team trans competition working as don’t have depth to match nz with same number of sides but could if had open borders policy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I alwa
I played for Tuggeranong, so while I relish in the spite and the succeses, and hold no personal issue with cannibalising ACT rugby...

It's certainly not for the greater good.
Fair enough, I always bow to those with local knowledge in these matters.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Great Post. keep it simple agree 100%

My only variation would be home and away for Aus sides in our own Provincial championship and only 1 round vs NZ sides

Perhaps the 2nd round of the H&A forms part of the Super 10

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unless there is open borders policy I can’t see a ten team trans competition working as don’t have depth to match nz with same number of sides but could if had open borders policy.

exactly why it is critical we run our own provincial comp independently, and in time with the right marketing we should be trying to get this comp into a space like SOO League holds. Wont happen overnight but something to aspire to.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Just not true RN. With four teams last year and this, the Brumbies have been more than a match for most of the NZ sides. The Reds are full of more promise than any other team and quite conceivably will also be a match for the top NZ sides by next year. Even the Rebels and Tahs have had the occasional win against a NZ side over the past two years.

What do you think we should do about the NZ sides that get beaten by our sorely deficient Aus teams. Chuck them to the shithouse too?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great Post. keep it simple agree 100%

My only variation would be home and away for Aus sides in our own Provincial championship and only 1 round vs NZ sides

Perhaps the 2nd round of the H&A forms part of the Super 10

Badge, I just can't get my head around a competition that is essentially local but has one round against another country's teams. Why should games against NZ sides affect the local ladder that has as its end game the national championship. Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Either the new arrangements should be a full on TT where every game counts towards the final series and ultimate championship, or should be restricted to a local competition that has a definite outcome and national champion at the end. I favour the latter personally, with a possible Champions type comp at the end.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just not true RN. With four teams last year and this, the Brumbies have been more than a match for most of the NZ sides. The Reds are full of more promise than any other team and quite conceivably will also be a match for the top NZ sides by next year. Even the Rebels and Tahs have had the occasional win against a NZ side over the past two years.

What do you think we should do about the NZ sides that get beaten by our sorely deficient Aus teams. Chuck them to the shithouse too?

Comment was about 10 team comp with 5 oz sides - I will never support a trans Tasman comp with nz with closed borders as would mean less oz sides for us to compete and hence less oz interest which is our problem. My continued view aligns with honey badger that unless open borders trans Tasman comp we should go it alone. We need our own a-league. Yes may have to go backwards to go forwards and won’t attract as much money but prefer to watch semi pro national comp then the famine we get with super rugby (famine b/c watching non oz side games and games against SA sides at non watchable times makes this content irrelevant to me).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I will never support a trans Tasman comp with nz with closed borders as would mean less oz sides for us to compete and hence less oz interest which is our problem.

Just to clarify your use here of 'closed borders', RN, am I right to assume you mean an NZ 'closed selection' policy whereby national team promotion (e.g. ABs) is only available from teams within that nation?

If so, closed test selection might be a clearer description.

Closed borders seems more like the sort of thing we are going through with Covid-19, - e.g. not being able to move interstate in Oz, across the Tasman / further afield without a lengthy quarantine - or in many cases simply being turned back.

I suspect closed test selection for the ABs is more than likely set to continue for the immediate future, so any Oz plans would need to factor that in.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Badge, I just can't get my head around a competition that is essentially local but has one round against another country's teams. Why should games against NZ sides affect the local ladder that has as its end game the national championship. Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Either the new arrangements should be a full on TT where every game counts towards the final series and ultimate championship, or should be restricted to a local competition that has a definite outcome and national champion at the end. I favour the latter personally, with a possible Champions type comp at the end.

2 separate comps, a 2 round H&A oz provincial sides - a trophy awarded to the winner. a 1 round Super 10 oz provincial vs NZ Provincial

it would be silly if the oz sides played each other a third time and we will get bored, so use the second round as counting towards the Sup 10 as well, A trophy awarded to a Christchurch based side.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think the Ruby Championship was similar once. Not all games vs NZ were Bled games. Bled was just a 2 game series. So sometimes an RC game was also a Bled games, sometimes not. (but some point it changed that every game became a Bled game) So potentially a game can be played for 2 separate competitions/trophys.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Currently, it sounds like NZ and Aus will open to each other for travel around July ish. If so, then we can get an impromptu finals series going this year, then roll straight into the 10 team comp next year.

Nothing needs reworking at all, no rebranding, nothing is different to the comp we all loved 15 years ago - just no Jaapies and 3am games now.

The stable comp will bring interest back, especially as our pathways work over the last 5-10 years pays fruit and the Aus sides are competitive again.

Crowds and interest in Aus die without success - Tahs and Reds are a perfect example, even the Tahs managed to get 30k to their games in 2014, Reds more so in 2010/2011, after being virtually empty just a year or two before.

Money is the other big one - huge travel costs involved when SA is in it - $300 to fly to NZ isn't quite as harsh on the finances and frees up a lot more to pay players, or more importantly...

...a SECOND marketing pigeon! Mates of mine who are big rugby fans from Mosman area didn't even know Super Rugby was starting this year, the game came on and I was all excited and they asked if it was live! How the hell can you get people to watch, let alone GO to the game if they don't even know it's on!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Currently, it sounds like NZ and Aus will open to each other for travel around July ish. If so, then we can get an impromptu finals series going this year, then roll straight into the 10 team comp next year.
Just to add more confusion, the Qld Premier and CHO are talking about not opening their border until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.