• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Nice post RH but it doesn't change the fact that these three blokes out of an entire cohort are the only ones who've chosen to take this course of action.

I refuse to believe it's all due to them having some exceptional foresight into the future of Australian rugby - if that was the case then why hasn't Picone pulled the same move for all this players?

No disrespect to them but there are plenty of others much smarter than this lot who've chosen a different path when faced with the same choice.

That may be the case, but, respectfully, so what. 'Big numerical majorities' per se do not in any sense always equal the best or 'right' or only legitimate perspective (esp when viewed in hindsight), or necessarily the smartest one. People often tend to move in herds and group think is real.

In no way was I condemning the majority here. But I do believe in free choice. My point was to look forward, to what we/they are hurtling towards as hugely career-defining moments for Australian pro rugby players. I was aiming to give some perspective - and perhaps a legitimation of these 3 players' perspective - in the context discussed herein.

My sense was in this tread there was much automatic condemnation of these lone 3. I saw the possibility of something else lying in the background.

Re Picone. He is seen by many here (whom often follow the QRU leaked and PR line hook line and sinker almost no matter what it is, in many way this has long been a very status-quo-defending site) as the devil incarnate. But not so by his clients. It is no surprise that some of his clients may want to agree with the RUPA rem package, others may not, and for different reasons.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I had considered it from their perspective, and maybe it’s a smart decision for their financial future, but doesn’t mean it isn’t without its other costs. I feel this may end up as a decision they regret later on.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice post RH but it doesn't change the fact that these three blokes out of an entire cohort are the only ones who've chosen to take this course of action.

I refuse to believe it's all due to them having some exceptional foresight into the future of Australian rugby - if that was the case then why hasn't Picone pulled the same move for all this players?

No disrespect to them but there are plenty of others much smarter than this lot who've chosen a different path when faced with the same choice.
I think that in the near future there will be plenty more, and not just from the Reds.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
There is no way that all 3 players would gamble their future without having a solid back up plan. That would mean an airtight contract waiting to be signed once their employment was terminated with the Reds. In most employment contracts with a fixed term and end date, once you’re stood down without pay, the employee has the power to terminate. This may well have been the plan.
You would think that if these players didn’t have a solid option to move onto, then today may have been the day they come back with their tails between their legs, asking to re-join the team. Today, I was expecting to see posts flooding social media and news outlets with all 3 apologising for their brain lapse. Maybe give it until tomorrow.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
A falling out with Thorn is pretty wild speculation, unless you know something we don't? We have to remember this bloke is only 23, that captaincy wasn't his right by any means, although at the time I did think he was most suited to it. It seems to me this is closer to a bunch of young guys being led down the garden path by a manager. I still think its pretty weak of them, but I never took them as blokes who didn't like playing for the Reds.
Remember that they are professional footballers, they play for the money, if they play for a team they like then all the better.

These guys also have families to support and have to allow for that.

If I was good enough to play top level Rugby I would be happy to play for the Reds for a lower salary because that is who I want to play for.

If I want to put my two children through university and own my own house before I retire then I have to consider playing for an "enemy" team who pays better.

I think they like the Reds, but are looking out for themselves, maybe they look at the previous falling outs Thorn has had with big earning players (Cooper) and are worried that this might happen to them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do find it really hard to believe that Lucas has been told he is surplus to requirements.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anthony Picone ie their manager has history here and ugly history with Kerevi as we all know with Reds reaction to Kerevi signing to Japan.

Anthony Picone is certainly consistent....and very focussed on recruitment for Japanese rugby....

I would question whether he is right sort of manager for a young player personally as not convinced able to provide the player the much needed bigger picture view for their carreer....but that is just my opinion and of course young players are most welcome to take up his services as manager / player agent if they so choose.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting commentary on the player stand down over at the Roar (comments from Don on this article if anyone is interested).

Summarising the comments; Hockings wants to stay but has no contract for next year from the Reds - although he does have a Rugby AU contract agreed to. He has asked that his contract for next year be sorted before he will agree to the pay cut. Isaac Lucas has been told he is not wanted anymore, so his objection is being asked to take the pay cut when he has no future at the club. He wants a release from the Reds to go to another Oz super team. Rodda having the same manager has been asked to take a stand with his team mates and he agreed to do so.

All information is third or fourth hand, but given the way Picone acolytes were busy on this board post the Kerevi contracting issue it wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth there.
Reading the comments from DON (?) on the Roar article is a bit suspect. Read between the lines.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I do find it really hard to believe that Lucas has been told he is surplus to requirements.
Yeah, not sure if that’s entirely true. But Lucas did seem to lose his starting position as the season progressed. JOC (James O'Connor) and Hegarty are proven Flyhalf options with Gordon (uncapped) in the squad. Just looked at the Reds webpage and Gordon is the only named flyhalf. Hegarty and Campbell as fullback. Where does Lucas fit?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not shocked at Rodda. He could easily get more money overseas. How Hockings and Lucas think their value is higher overseas at this stage of their careers is mind-boggling.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be honest I was pretty surprised that Lucas seemed the designated starting 10 in the off season in the first place. Although, of course, we don’t hear what is actually being said to the players. If he was given the impression he would start at 10 then to give him 1 game there and then demote him seemed tough to me with a young player.

But apart from that it seems to me they have been using him in exactly the right way - mostly off the bench, but getting meaningful game time and the occasional start. And I think they’d be pretty happy with his contribution to date. Maybe it’s a numbers thing and they think O’Connor, Stewart, Hegarty & Campbell give them the depth they want with Gordon in his way through - so I guess I could see how maybe they could decide he was surplus but I would be really surprised if that was the case and I don’t think that his move to the bench necessarily means he would be out of favour.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I will say this - if Rodda ends up in Japan that will be an enormous waste.

Yes, he is absolutely entitled to chase the coin and make whatever decisions best suit him - but he has the world at his feet as a test rugby player and every chance to go on and have a wonderful career as a Wallaby forward.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
To be honest I was pretty surprised that Lucas seemed the designated starting 10 in the off season in the first place. Although, of course, we don’t hear what is actually being said to the players. If he was given the impression he would start at 10 then to give him 1 game there and then demote him seemed tough to me with a young player.

But apart from that it seems to me they have been using him in exactly the right way - mostly off the bench, but getting meaningful game time and the occasional start. And I think they’d be pretty happy with his contribution to date. Maybe it’s a numbers thing and they think O’Connor, Stewart, Hegarty & Campbell give them the depth they want with Gordon in his way through - so I guess I could see how maybe they could decide he was surplus but I would be really surprised if that was the case and I don’t think that his move to the bench necessarily means he would be out of favour.
There’s no way Lucas is surplus. But this stunt (if it is) is not going to do him any favours.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Curtis Browning is returning to Australia to live, coming off a few injuries though. Could be an option for depth if players are wanting to head O/S

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not shocked at Rodda. He could easily get more money overseas. How Hockings and Lucas think their value is higher overseas at this stage of their careers is mind-boggling.

I'm least surprised at Hockings. Stuck behind Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (if playing 2ndrow) and equal with Blythe. all of those on long term contracts and young. He isn't a regular starter for a while at the reds. I have been amazed the reds locked up so much competing talent for so long.

Although being in the same camp as Rodda makes it interesting. Piccone seems to be using Rodda's disgruntlement as a bargaining chip for Hockings long term future.

Although as per every other post - time/place/world rugby struggling etc etc