• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I could see Hockings getting paid a packet OS with teams prepared to take a flyer at his size and skill level (which is beyond most for a guy his size)

Lucas , to me , doesn’t seem compelling or must have in the international club scene

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ The issues of being a contractor as opposed to being employed.

Would actually be surprised if him being a "contractor" stood up to scrutiny .

He could have been eligible for "job keeper" has he been employed, might have even been better off.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah I think there was an article about Peter when this all started and how the contractor thing really backfired on him in terms of being eligible for some of these subsidies.

I guess there is a directive now at the QRU to not pay any contractors, as I would have thought they would bring him back into the fold in some capacity.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Standing him down during the crisis as he is a contractor is understandable.

Not re-engaging him when returning to training is a mistake imho.

When Aust rugby reduces the absurd level of functional 'back end' head count and $ cost duplication that exists across the 4 local RUs and within RA itself - a no-brainer strategic action post COVID-19 and long overdue pre it - then maybe we will free up the budgets required for what should be our highest priority (bar raw survival that is), continuing to support quality coaching to pro and 'lower' levels of the code.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I think there was an article about Peter when this all started and how the contractor thing really backfired on him in terms of being eligible for some of these subsidies.

I guess there is a directive now at the QRU to not pay any contractors, as I would have thought they would bring him back into the fold in some capacity.

Just a sideways btw: if Ryan's services were provided by his own incorporated services company that employed him, and he provided his services to the QRU (or others) via it, then he could obtain many of the COVID-driven 'subsidy' benefits both the QLD and national governments have been dispensing, incl JobKeeper, far more so in $ benefits terms than if he was an employee. Indeed the total $ benefits to an individual contractor via the aforementioned structure far exceed those obtainable via a straight, direct employment arrangement.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well the team mates aren't shunning them. At least not all of them.

Hegarty and Rodda hanging out today as per instagram.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^^ Absolutely as a sole trader or a contractor he can apply off his own back for the same subsidies and maybe even a cash flow stimulus . He would just need to do it himself rather than the Reds as an employer.

Guess if you see him at training , he might have been successful.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He could offer his services to the Reds at a casual and highly reduced rate so they can afford him, then supplement his income by proving he has lost >30% of his income to receive job keeper.

Might not be huge but it's money. BUT I'm not a CFO or an accountant.

I hope he gets a job and I hope the Reds find someone good (though I'm sure it will be for next season) and the Academy coaches etc will be used for the main squad in the interim.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Would guess at Gilmore being a possibility ?

Couldn't imagine he would be over busy with Junior Wallaby preparation currently.

Think he is still based in Brisbane?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
When Aust rugby reduces the absurd level of functional 'back end' head count and $ cost duplication that exists across the 4 local RUs and within RA itself - a no-brainer strategic action post COVID-19 and long overdue pre it - then maybe we will free up the budgets required for what should be our highest priority (bar raw survival that is), continuing to support quality coaching to pro and 'lower' levels of the code.

Sure, a federated model would help streamline functionality (and therefore some cost) but it is not like these organisations aren't already running quite lean. People keep sprouting the size of RA headcount but that headcount isn't all corporate fat cats in suits. Plenty of people wearing tracksuits carrying whistles are included in that number.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Peter Ryan posted on linkedIn is looking for any gig and is based in Brisbane right now. Currently looking mostly at schools

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sure, a federated model would help streamline functionality (and therefore some cost) but it is not like these organisations aren't already running quite lean. People keep sprouting the size of RA headcount but that headcount isn't all corporate fat cats in suits. Plenty of people wearing tracksuits carrying whistles are included in that number.

Ignorance is bliss. It is so easy, and so futile, to criticise head counts without any evidence or facts. Just gut feelings. I might add that the AFL were crowing a few years ago about the size of their newsroom. 100 people. Not sure how big it is now. But their idea was to present ready made news stories to the various news outlets. Every time I see an AFL story on the box I think about that.

At the end of the day it is not just the size numbers, it is what the numbers are producing.